ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Franken is In

Default Franken is In

Coleman concedes after a unanimous MN SC decision

http://www.rollcall.com/news/36389-1.html

Yay! Finally. Congrats Sen. Franken.

ccbatson Guest

Just in time for...reelection campaigning.

This means the Senate now has 60 Democrats. That is enough to break a Republican filibuster. I'm just stating a fact for anyone that doesn't know why Franken's victory matters.

ccbatson Guest

A really bad thing for the country MJS.

Lorax Guest

Superb news- if Coleman had ceded the race months ago, he would have saved the RNC 11 million bucks, but as we know, wasting money is a hallmark of the RNC, and they have plenty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Just in time for...reelection campaigning.
    Why start so early? He still has 5-1/2 years until the next election.

4real Guest

Cool, another nutcase democrat to screw things up more.
    Elected by the vote stealing liars at ACORN.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    Cool, another nutcase democrat to screw things up more.
    Elected by the vote stealing liars at ACORN.
    LOL!!

ACORN? Grow up. How exactly does ACORN steal votes? LOL!!!

Default The Horrors!

Last edited by Jimaz; October-21-09 at 07:28 PM.

Minnesota's newly elected Senator Franken

Coleman was disgusting in the way he tried to litigate a victory for himself a la Al Gore. Minnesotans had no Senator to even represent them on mundane issues like farming and highway money because of Coleman's ego. Both of these guys were so bad that an independent candidate received 15% of the Senate vote. A real clown replaced a neoclown.

Democrats have 60% but thats including Bernie Sanders, Lieberman, a half dozen blue dog Democrats, the absence of Ted Kennedy, Feingold being a maverick once a year, and Senator Byrd who has been in and out of hospitals.
    Last edited by oladub; June-30-09 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added photo & realignment

All I can say is Franken is a jokester.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    LOL!!

ACORN? Grow up. How exactly does ACORN steal votes? LOL!!!
    Its been obvious that 4real is a troll looking for the attention they crave, its best to ignore said individual, as to pay them homage is to satisfy their craving .

Liberalism wagers that a state... can be strong but constrained – strong because constrained... Rights to education and other requirements for human development and security aim to advance the opportunity and personal dignity of minorities and to promote a creative and productive society. To guarantee those rights, liberals have supported a wider social and economic role for the state, counterbalanced by more robust guarantees of civil liberties and a wider social system of checks and balances anchored in an independent press and pluralistic society. - Paul Starr, sociologist at Princeton University, The New Republic, March 2007

Go get em Al...Lead the entire democratic caucus in a daily affirmation!

And a big shout out to my favorite Legislator...GO BERNIE!

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

Minnesota's newly elected Senator Franken

Coleman was disgusting in the way he tried to litigate a victory for himself a la Al Gore. Minnesotans had no Senator to even represent them on mundane issues like farming and highway money because of Coleman's ego. Both of these guys were so bad that an independent candidate received 15% of the Senate vote. A real clown replaced a neoclown.

Democrats have 60% but thats including Bernie Sanders, Lieberman, a half dozen blue dog Democrats, the absence of Ted Kennedy, Feingold being a maverick once a year, and Senator Byrd who has been in and out of hospitals.
    I would agree with your assessment of Coleman, and the 11 million wasted by the RNC on such a futile action. They have plenty of money, though, to waste, so it's theirs to do so.

However, Gore quit at the right time, eventhough we know the elections of 2000 and 2004 were both stolen.

The supreme court in it's brief on Bush v. Gore stated that this determination was NOT to be considered precedent, and was NOT to be referenced in any future elections, and would have no bearing, ramifications, or implications in any future presidential election.

Good going, Supreme Court, you appointed our first Imperial President.

At least 4real doesn't start as many threads as some of those jerks [[craigd, steelers) that were on the old forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Its been obvious that 4real is a troll looking for the attention they crave, its best to ignore said individual, as to pay them homage is to satisfy their craving .

[quote=d.mcc;39710]Liberalism wagers that a state... can be strong but constrained – strong because constrained... Rights to education and other requirements for human development and security aim to advance the opportunity and personal dignity of minorities and to promote a creative and productive society. To guarantee those rights, liberals have supported a wider social and economic role for the state, counterbalanced by more robust guarantees of civil liberties and a - Paul Starr, sociologist at Princeton University, The New Republic, March 2007 quote]

Detroit has voted for liberals for many years. No wonder it became "a creative and productive society" but what's the garbledegook about "wider social system of checks and balances anchored in an independent press and pluralistic society." Is that like 'fair speech' legislation? He is correct though about liberals having supported a wider social and economic role for the state. The same could be said of Bush and neocons. It didn't work for them either.

Lorax, I don't think that the Supreme Court elected Bush. Gore's lawyers got pretty silly trying to determine the intent of scratches on selected ballots in selected counties. Al Gore didn't become President but he created a precident. Coleman was equally disgusting in his attempt litigate a victory. If the 2000 election was stolen it was because blacks were systematically not allowed to vote in other Florida counties. Ohio electronic ballot counting was the issue four years later but I don't see a concerted drive coming from either party to require paper ballots. Paper ballots are required and work just fine in Canada.

"The supreme court in it's brief on Bush v. Gore stated that this determination was NOT to be considered precedent, and was NOT to be referenced in any future elections, and would have no bearing, ramifications, or implications in any future presidential election. "

Lorax, have you even read the SupCt decision? I suggest you do, because then you'll have a better understanding of what equal protection means. I think you'll have a very difficult finding the language that you cited, because it's not there. FYI, the court decided 7-2 that Florida violated the equal protection clause by not setting standards for what constituted a valid ballot and 5-4 on what the remedy should be for that violation.

Also, the Supreme Court doesn't write briefs - they issue opinions.

ccbatson Guest

Franken won it....Coleman conceded. Time to accept it and move on.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    "The supreme court in it's brief on Bush v. Gore stated that this determination was NOT to be considered precedent, and was NOT to be referenced in any future elections, and would have no bearing, ramifications, or implications in any future presidential election. "

Lorax, have you even read the SupCt decision? I suggest you do, because then you'll have a better understanding of what equal protection means. I think you'll have a very difficult finding the language that you cited, because it's not there. FYI, the court decided 7-2 that Florida violated the equal protection clause by not setting standards for what constituted a valid ballot and 5-4 on what the remedy should be for that violation.

Also, the Supreme Court doesn't write briefs - they issue opinions.
    I was paraphrasing, sorry if using quotations offended you.

Doesn't change the fact that the SCOTUS ruled on stopping the re-count in Florida. There were in fact irregularities in other states such as Ohio, which proved to be the killing fields four years later with rampant voter fraud supported by Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell.

Bottom line, the election was stolen, and the SCOTUS de facto appointed Bush president.

Blarf Guest

Franken was a brilliant writer for SNL. I'm not sure if I like his politics though, I'm not familiar with where he stands.

I like his book title though, the one bashing Rush Limbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Franken was a brilliant writer for SNL. I'm not sure if I like his politics though, I'm not familiar with where he stands.

I like his book title though, the one bashing Rush Limbaugh.
    http://www.alfranken.com/content/issues

This link provides a good look at Franken. This is the first of nine such segments of a camera crew following Franken around for a couple of years.I think it is supposed to be considered friendly toward Franken. Franken seems like an interesting, intelligent guy who hates Bush with passion and with some good reason. Franken is very opposed to the Iraq war but makes no mention of Afghanistan. He never mentions the Constitution. I could not find segments 4 and 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhpmlZDAs0

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    This link provides a good look at Franken. This is the first of nine such segments of a camera crew following Franken around for a couple of years.I think it is supposed to be considered friendly toward Franken. Franken seems like an interesting, intelligent guy who hates Bush with passion and with some good reason. Franken is very opposed to the Iraq war but makes no mention of Afghanistan. He never mentions the Constitution. I could not find segments 4 and 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhpmlZDAs0
    I think most people support the war in Afghanistan because that was the justifiable war. Not just by the United States, but also NATO and to a certain extent the UN. Its not like we went into Afghanistan for its oil wells and poppy fields.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    I think most people support the war in Afghanistan because that was the justifiable war. Not just by the United States, but also NATO and to a certain extent the UN. Its not like we went into Afghanistan for its oil wells and poppy fields.
    I actually half forced myself to watch seven of those videos about Al Franken. He was very vehement in his opposition to the Iraq War. Curiously, he said nothing about Afghanistan. I don't know his position on that war. Since most of the poppy production you mentioned is going to Europe, perhaps the European Union should take over that war. We went to overthrow the Taliban and capture Bin Laden. We were one for two. Congress never deployed troops to regulate agriculture, do nation building, make enemies by bombing Pakistan from Afghani bases, or try to pursuade Afghanis to adopt a kinder, more gentle form of Islam. This is out of control mission creep. It will be interesting to see if Sen. Franken will be a Senator Wayne Morse or Eugene McCarthy - or a Hubert Humphry.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast