http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...idge-to-canada

Here's the Daily Show's take on it.
    LOL!! Too funny!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    LOL!! Too funny!!!!!!!
    "Hilarious! I laughed, I cried, I forwarded it to all my friends"
    Honky Tonk
    Detroit Yes Poster

Default Daily Show with Jon Stewart tackles the Bridge war between Canada and Moroun.

Via Jalopnik.

The only bridge between Detroit and Canada — the Ambassador Bridge — is owned by a Billionaire who tried to get Americans to vote against a free bridge. It's insane. Only slightly less insane than Detroit politics, as well chronicled by The Daily Show here. All you need to know is in this clip.
    It's hard to tell who comes off worse here. Is it the Tea Partier who is clearly racist, the soccer mom who has a weird obsession with Canadian milk or the Black Panther who is clearly working for the man?
    My vote is a three-way tie between the Black Panther, the millions of Detroiters who voted against it, and the so-called merciful God who let Detroit get this bad. I mean, they didn't even get around to making any Kwame Kilpatrick jokes.

Highly recomended!!
    Enjoy!

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...idge-to-canada

I also highly recommend the Tuesday's episode in which Stewart discusses the gun culture which brings so much misery to the streets.

[[And on a personal note, I'm so chuffed he named the Dutch as an example in here. I laughed so loud, my monitor is still dripping with coffee!! )
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-10-13 at 12:03 PM.

Good lord.. what did Moroun's operation pay Malik Shabazz?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Good lord.. what did Moroun's operation pay Malik Shabazz?
    What? You didn't see him flashing that wad of cash with Al Madrigal's eyes following it as Shabazz waved it about?

I knew that toll booth worker was going to curse him out.

There are some misstatements in that report [[obviously there weren't 1.8 million Detroiters voting against the free bridge) but it did a good job breaking down the bridge issue. And even the statement about "1.8 million Detroiters" hammers home the fact that, around the nation, many don't differentiate Detroit and Michigan the way many of us do here locally.

Has there ever been a truer statement than the one about politics making strange bedfellows? Hard to imagine what else Malik Shabazz, the "soccer mom", and the dude worried about "China Men" might have in common.

If "chinamen" is a racial slur does that also apply to "Irishmen"?

Oh yeah, Malik Shabazz given name is Jeffery Lewis. He hates it when you call him Jeffery. He also hates it when you ask if his mom is coming up for parole.

Clearly shows how ignorant some people are around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    There are some misstatements in that report [[obviously there weren't 1.8 million Detroiters voting against the free bridge) but it did a good job breaking down the bridge issue. And even the statement about "1.8 million Detroiters" hammers home the fact that, around the nation, many don't differentiate Detroit and Michigan the way many of us do here locally.
    I don't think that conclusion follows. Its a comedy show, I doubt they really did too much research on who was voting on it. The Bridge is in Detroit. It probably was assumed it would only be Detroit voting as it would be ridiculous for a state wide vote on that. Further, I think someone that lives and works in city of 8-9 million people... 1.8 million voting against something isn't going to raise any eyebrows.

And just anecdotally .. every single person I speak to when I'm out of town gives me the side eye when I say I'm from "Detroit". They assume Detroit is not anything like the rest of Michigan. So when I say ..well, not the City, but a suburb that borders on it... They say "ah. no one lives in actual Detroit right?"
    Last edited by bailey; January-10-13 at 01:18 PM.

When I saw "Malik Shabazz" on this video, holding that money in his hand, my first thought was....

Another political leader bought and paid for by Matty Moroun.

This is why we need a change in local and state leadership. When you got these rich folks throwing their money around to these folks, the interests of the people are not represented.

My first question to anyone at this point that runs for any office in Detroit will be:

How much did Matty Moroun give you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    When I saw "Malik Shabazz" on this video, holding that money in his hand, my first thought was....

Another political leader bought and paid for by Matty Moroun.

This is why we need a change in local and state leadership. When you got these rich folks throwing their money around to these folks, the interests of the people are not represented.

My first question to anyone at this point that runs for any office in Detroit will be:

How much did Matty Moroun give you?
    I'm not sure it's fair to characterize Shabazz as a "political" leader. While he is chairman of the New Black Panther Party, he holds no publicly elected office.

Why stop with Maroun? Most businesses that do any lobbying will hedge their bets and give to all serious candidates.

I do believe that the entire campaign funding process should be overhauled. But thanks to the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, we may not see that anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'm not sure it's fair to characterize Shabazz as a "political" leader. While he is chairman of the New Black Panther Party, he holds no publicly elected office.

Why stop with Maroun? Most businesses that do any lobbying will hedge their bets and give to all serious candidates.

I do believe that the entire campaign funding process should be overhauled. But thanks to the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, we may not see that anytime soon.
    Almost feel bad for Minister Shabazz. The man has got to make a living and he doesn't have a regular paying gig. On occasion, he has actually advocated for some sensible things. But most of his crusades promote classic us vs. them with a strong dose of the race card. Stealing the jewels and all of that. One on one, he can make a lot of sense and he's a pretty nice fellow. But at heart, he is a performer. He will perform whatever he's paid to do. The bridge deal was pretty far outside his usual wheelhouse and that of the New Black Panthers, but he got paid a bundle so why not go for it?

Madrigal's ability to flip the interview and inject the "workin' for the man" comment was truly priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

What would it take to overturn Citizens United? This is ridiculous, being unable to track who is donating to who. The lack of transparency is what making the democratic process so corrupt.