Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Attacker let women go after one victim says she turned to prayer

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...rned-to-prayer

The attacker was traced thru his phone number he gave the women...

From article:

....Fearing for their lives, they agreed to the man's demands. She said he forced her friend to drive to an abandoned building at Ward and McNichols. He then held a gun to one young woman's head while he sexually assaulted the other.

He then demanded their money, forcing them to drive to an ATM and give him whatever they had.

"That's all we kept saying, you can have the money, you can have everything. Just let us live."

She only had two minutes to get the money out of the machine at grocery store before he threatened he would shoot her friend. She grabbed what she could and was able to alert a worker to call police. But by the time officers arrived, their attacker forced them to drive away.

With nothing to lose, this woman decided to try something else. She started to pray and offering to get the man help if he let them go.

"We were just thinking smart and it was God. It was only God. All I could do is pray," she said. "We could take you to church with us. We'll talk to you. We'll be your friend."

"He made us put our phone numbers in his phone and he asked us to take him to church."

Then something happened they never expected. She explained her attacker started apologizing, eventually got out of the car and let them go.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-13 at 05:27 AM.

If I started telling stories of the instances when prayer completely turned around what was clearly a horrible event, I would be able to do little else.

So good to hear these ladies figured it out this time. This story isn't over...

No, I don't have data on how often it works, beyond the fact that prayer has never failed me. Sometimes spectacularly.

Sincerely,
    John

What's up with all the rapings lately? It's like it's not enough to get some money, these dudes have to leave everlasting scars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    If I started telling stories of the instances when prayer completely turned around what was clearly a horrible event, I would be able to do little else.

So good to hear these ladies figured it out this time. This story isn't over...

No, I don't have data on how often it works, beyond the fact that prayer has never failed me. Sometimes spectacularly.

Sincerely,
    John
    And what about the times where it doesn't work at all?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post

Maybe the guy decided he'd stop preying and start praying instead. I'm confused.

What exactly is the point of emphasizing that the last victim was let go after she prayed? Does that mean it's the fault of the other victims that they were attacked because they didn't pray?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What exactly is the point of emphasizing that the last victim was let go after she prayed? Does that mean it's the fault of the other victims that they were attacked because they didn't pray?
    Clearly, anyone who had something bad happen to them wasn't praying hard enough.

Can't you naysayers just be happy that they managed to escape with their lives?

I'm not a terribly religious person, mostly because of all the crazy dogmas and even crazier folks that seem to run the religions on this planet. However, humans seem, by all accounts, to be spiritual beings. People are going to pray. People are going to take comfort in their spirituality. Yes, there will probably be a deity or higher power attached to that spirituality. Deal with it.

Do I think a deity released them because they prayed hard enough? Probably not. However they very well may have given this predator second thoughts about his life and possible afterlife, or moved him by their desperation and faith.

In my book, there isn't anything wrong with prayer. Even if you're not actually talking to somebody, this world could use more time when we're not hammering away at keyboards or staring at America's next top whatever. So find something else to bitch about. You're an atheist? Congratulations. It's a free country and I'm damn glad we live in a society where we can make that choice. Being one doesn't make you de facto intelligent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Can't you naysayers just be happy that they managed to escape with their lives?

I'm not a terribly religious person, mostly because of all the crazy dogmas and even crazier folks that seem to run the religions on this planet. However, humans seem, by all accounts, to be spiritual beings. People are going to pray. People are going to take comfort in their spirituality. Yes, there will probably be a deity or higher power attached to that spirituality. Deal with it.

Do I think a deity released them because they prayed hard enough? Probably not. However they very well may have given this predator second thoughts about his life and possible afterlife, or moved him by their desperation and faith.

In my book, there isn't anything wrong with prayer. Even if you're not actually talking to somebody, this world could use more time when we're not hammering away at keyboards or staring at America's next top whatever. So find something else to bitch about. You're an atheist? Congratulations. It's a free country and I'm damn glad we live in a society where we can make that choice. Being one doesn't make you de facto intelligent, though.
    This silly rant didn't change any opinions, especially given the emphasis placed on prayer in this story & this thread.

You didn't have to read this thread or respond to it.

This silly rant didn't change any opinions, especially given the emphasis placed on prayer in this story & this thread.

Thanks for your post Poobert. Nobody has to agree or believe...there are just other ways of looking at things.

Just to quote my favorite spiritual tool: Forgiveness is a decision to look past what we think people are, and invite the Holy Spirit's vision of what they really are into our minds. What they really are is the Christ, the Son of God.
    He [the teacher of God] overlooks the mind and body, seeing only the face of Christ shining in front of him, correcting all mistakes and healing all perception.
    Recognizing the Christ in a brother who commits grievous acts like rape and murder is no different than recognizing the Christ in anyone, although it certainly seems more difficult. To see the Christ, we must look past our brother's acts, since the acts are simply things that his body did, and the Christ in him is not a body. We must also look past the faulty decisions and beliefs of his mind that led to such acts, because the Christ in him is beyond those faulty decisions and beliefs. The vision we will experience when we look past these things is a vision of our brother's reality: the face of Christ, his true Identity, which sweeps away the mistakes his body and his mind seemed to make. [[COA)
    Last edited by MizMotown; January-10-13 at 01:18 PM.

I wonder which abandoned building it was or was it a house?

Not much right there except buildings right on 6 Mile; most looked occupied last time I went through there last summer. Used to live at Sorrento and Six Mile right next to the library.

Glad they got through this alive.

Clearly, anyone who had something bad happen to them wasn't praying hard enough.
    This article is indeed odd. I would bet hundreds and hundreds of Detroiters were praying to God moments before they were shot dead.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    This article is indeed odd. I would bet hundreds and hundreds of Detroiters were praying to God moments before they were shot dead.
    And people pray they'll be cured of cancer and will be safe while driving down the road, but that doesn't seem to be the invincible armor some people would like.

Maybe this is a story because it's rare that prayer has saved a life? What is the point?

Neither did you - THREE TIMES. Okay, we got it. You're not the praying type. Great. But hey, we're here now.

Fox2 is generally more sensational than the other outlets. The story isn't too out of character for them. They could either:
    -Not report the story altogether
    -or omit the part about the prayer business [[to please you, apparently), which was obviously central to the victim's story, so that would be contrary to decent reporting.

I'm not saying praying changed the outcome of this situation, but the victim apparently believes so, and regardless, that is part of the story, even if it conflicts your personal beliefs.

The "point" is that something newsworthy happened and they reported on it, including the victim's statements. That's why they're the news.
    Last edited by poobert; January-10-13 at 01:43 PM.

Neither did you - THREE TIMES. Okay, we got it. You're not the praying type. Great. But hey, we're here now.

Fox2 is generally more sensational than the other outlets. The story isn't too out of character for them. They could either:
    -or omit the part about the prayer business [[to please you, apparently), which was obviously central to the victim's story, so that would be contrary to decent reporting.

I'm not saying praying changed the outcome of this situation, but the victim apparently believes so, and regardless, that is part of the story, even if it conflicts your personal beliefs.

The "point" is that something newsworthy happened and they reported on it, including the victim's statements. That's why they're the news.
    Right, and I'm not complaining about the topic or the posts in this thread like you are. As you said, "deal with it".

By your absurd definitions, the next time somebody prays they will survive cancer and end up dying, it's newsworthy that they report praying didn't work.

So we agree, Fox 2 is the TV equivalent of a tabloid and the story's over-emphasis on the prayer aspect was just pure sensationalism.

Right, and I'm not complaining about the topic or the posts in this thread like you are. As you said, "deal with it".

By your absurd definitions, the next time somebody prays they will survive cancer and end up dying, it's newsworthy that they report praying didn't work.
    LOL... Who knows, Fox 2 wanted to do the story on the crime and the victim probably went on about prayer so they included it. But yes, your point is taken Noise.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    LOL... Who knows, Fox 2 wanted to do the story on the crime and the victim probably went on about prayer so they included it. But yes, your point is taken Noise.
    My posts are less about Fox 2 and more about the first reply to this thread.

My posts are less about Fox 2 and more about the first reply to this thread.
    Using the quote feature may help you out a bit then. See how easy it is?

No not necessarily, as scripture says the rain falls on the just and the unjust...

My, my have things been busy [[postings) since I OP early these we hours!

How can I catch up ------!?

Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-13 at 05:15 PM.

Essentially IMO this was an example of a successful hostage 'negotiation': rather one believes it was secular or spiritual. It was hardly co-coincidental.

Integral to the article, the assailant softened to the level of letting them go!

That is a crucial point - I happen to believe in the power of prayer - but that withstanding, a change [[perhaps temporary or long term, I don't know) of heart and mind was it achieved.

They survived!

Negotiation is a tactical training segment of military/ psychological engagement.
    One of the main factors, where applicable, is to reach thru a barrier not conscious in the other party - thus they are not always as committed to retaining it.

That barrier breaker can be a reflection or moment of introspection triggered at multiple levels - a suspension of rage, etc. Usually a humanizing segment can break it out.

In this case it was prayer according the one VICTIM claimed as they were the ones doing the praying. That's their voice, not the article per se.

Should that voice been silenced because it referenced prayer? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-13 at 04:55 AM.

It wasn't the praying that helped, it was the offer to take him to church.

Doing that humanized them to him; hence, he felt bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    It wasn't the praying that helped, it was the offer to take him to church.

Doing that humanized them to him; hence, he felt bad.
    You would think so that maybe at one time he had maybe a good influence and had gone bad,but on the other hand when you can get a crack head for $10 why would he have had to do the rape part knowing the impact?

You think maybe he got their cell phone numbers not to go to church but to intimidate in case they went to LEO? He got what he wanted and found a way out.
    Last edited by Richard; January-10-13 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You would think so that maybe at one time he had maybe a good influence and had gone bad,but on the other hand when you can get a crack head for $10 why would he have had to do the rape part knowing the impact?

You think maybe he got their cell phone numbers not to go to church but to intimidate in case they went to LEO? He got what he wanted and found a way out.
    Good call.

That would be between you and your Maker...as it always is with every one of us.

Prayer is not like flipping a switch or pushing a button, although on occasion the 'seasonal' replies seem to get rushed. If one stays in prayer, it seems these emergency prayers are more quickly responded to...but if you are a stranger to the mystic, never learning the power of prayer and the trend of answer arrivals, you may never even notice when the real answer shows up...no matter HOW quickly the response!

Try again. You might get a surprise.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast