Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New to Forum, hoping to find someone who grew up on East side, south of Jefferson

Hello, this is a FANTASTIC site, so glad I was told about it. Looking forward to digging through all the photos and history. What I've been looking for is someone who remembers two adults that had a big impact on me. The first is "Sam the Vegetable Man".... he used to drive a truck full of fruits and vegetables [[late 60s - early 70s) and stop on our block. Such a kind, wonderful soul. All I know is that is name is Sam. We used to live on Newport where it dead ends south of Jefferson and Sam would bring his truck once a week.
    The other person/place I'm looking for is if anyone remembers a man named Zeke who owned a tiny corner store somewhere within walking distance of Newport/Scripps. I thought the store was called Zeke's but maybe we just called it than because of the man. I recall he was shot to death because of something his brother did and his store was burned again because of something his brother did. Also would have been late 60s early 70s. Do either of these gentlemen ring a bell with anyone?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to read this long post!

Welcome to DYes! There have been a couple of stories in the Free Press about a man like that, who is still working with his truck near Downtown. Here is one:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011100...etroit-streets

THANKS! That's a great link and Charlie sounds very much like the man I remember, except for the name! I bet Charlie knows Sam. Wish I still lived in the area so I could dig around myself.

Ron_saad Guest

Grew up at Eastlawn and Freud. We owned Saad's market on the corner.
    Couple of stores on Essex and Coplin. The Bun, Greenleaf's and more around the area. Man named Sam own a store on Newport and Freud

Ron, I think Freud might be too far up from Scripps but I don't know, it is such a vague memory, I was only 7 or 8 years old. Did the store burn down or is it still there? Thanks for the reply!

Ron_saad Guest

Freud, Essex, Averhill, Avondale Korte, then Scripps.
    Nothing is there anymore. It's pathetic