Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Couple of things I know people won't like but I feel would motivate some people to behave differently.

1) If convicted of a felony using a gun, a sentence of ten years not two under state law for the gun charge separate from the sentence for the actual offense.

2) A parent responsiblity law which could require the parent of a minor child to do jail time along with the minor to be decided on a case by case basis.

The reason for this is because of the feeling that if you put harsh enough penalties in front of people, they will become accountable for their actions over time. After a few people have been made examples of, the rate of such crimes should drop. One reason public executions were common in the days of the wild west was that people could see justice being served, but also it send a message that this is how you could end up if you steal that horse or rob that bank.

I myself find it pretty sad when there is so much crime around here and the Govenor wants to rent out jail space to California.I know it might be cruel and all that But give offenders longer sentences to not only keep them off the streets but hopefully they might get the point and not f 'up again.People complain about crime Yet when it comes to keeping the crooks behind bars they complain about the high cost involved.
    Whatever the reason why this shooting took place the reason is B.S. Blame it on what you want But the same B.S. will be there till it is put out to pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX Doug View Post
    Your first example [[insurance) is based on the reality of insuring a vehicle in a high-risk area. Insurance is a gamble on the ins companies part..if the odds they will have to pay off a claim are stacked against them, of course the cost to buy into the game will increase at that table..the house ain't in business to LOSE money, ya know?.
    I can understand how my earlier discussion points might not fit directly into this discussion. It is a bit too abstract to bring up the issues of general costs of living. I'll try and do better next time.

Second example.."various ways?" WTF does that even mean? Is this one of those intangible Monica Conyers "your face doesn't look like my face, ergo you must be one of those scary Detroit criminal" things?
    Did I come across [[in my second example) that badly? I'm not up on the MC jargon, but I think I get the jist intended with the above criticism. My discussing general costs does not fit at this juncture.

What you are proposing is a straight-up tax upon law-abiding citizens based on the criminal acts of others.
    Not my words or proposal. Careful analysis of what I said in this thread should show no such proposition made on my part. Simply broadly discussing ideas. If you are compelled to restate my position in your own words, than you should try again. I'll let you know if you've pegged it [[or not, which could happen if I've not communicated well).
    Last edited by vetalalumni; July-07-09 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I don't know what the answer is...I see no clear cut path ahead. We can talk about solutions for the next 20 years...but until parents act like parents, kids listen to their parents and teachers and preachers and counselors; and until the economy is such that everyone can make a livable wage, this type of activity will keep on keepin' on.
    Since the beginning of history, there have always been a small subset of parents who were simply crappy parents.

Since the beginning of history, there have always been children who don't listen to their parents and other who they should listen to.

In ancient Mesopotamia, they came up with a system to protect the rest of society from the results of bad parenting or at least to minimize the damage that it creates. It was a little thing known as a police force.

For all practical purposes, it's missing in Detroit today or at least doesn't exist in anywhere near the capacity that it's needed. 9-1-1 calls go largely unanswered.

If you think I'm exaggerating, please keep a couple of things in mind.

1. The gang that is suspected in the bus stop shooting is also suspected of another shooting that happened a few days earlier. If they were taken off the streets after the first shooting, the shooting last week never would have happened.
    2. The gang that is suspected in the bus stop shooting has also been involved in narcotics trafficking throughout the neighborhood for quite some time. If they were taken off the streets for their drug dealing, the shooting last week never would have happened.

We as a community have a choice to make. We can either start looking at the things that have a proven track record of producing results or we can sit by and watch more of our teens get killed.

Detroit deserves better than this.

Buy American Guest

The thugs have too many rights. The victims have none. The police are handcuffed and unable to do their sworn duty because they get criticized, sanctioned, or fired. Tougher laws need to be drafted, stiffer penalties need to be implemented. Parents need to be held responsible for their kids. Fathers need to step up, mothers need to wake up. The gang is family, that's why the kids are drawn to them. If the family structure was stronger the gangs may not have as much power.

What rights are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The thugs have too many rights. The victims have none. The police are handcuffed and unable to do their sworn duty because they get criticized, sanctioned, or fired. Tougher laws need to be drafted, stiffer penalties need to be implemented. Parents need to be held responsible for their kids. Fathers need to step up, mothers need to wake up. The gang is family, that's why the kids are drawn to them. If the family structure was stronger the gangs may not have as much power.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    What rights are you talking about?
    No sense in explaining if you have to ask.

Seriously, what rights do criminals have that non-criminals do not? Do you even know any thugs? It seems like you exaggerate almost everything you write on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    No sense in explaining if you have to ask.

Watch The Wire.

There are likely at least a dozen citizens who have first hand knowledge of who did the shooting, and perhaps hundreds more who have heard second hand.
    The police probably have a good idea what happened, but need confirmation and witnesses.
    Until the archaic "no snitch" code is eliminated, the shootings and crime will continue to increase. It appears that the community has still not decided to end this.
    I challenge the Baptist Ministers to condemn, loudly and proudly, the no snitch B.S.

You really think ministers are going to stop thugs from bouncing back on those who snitched?

Screw the "thugs bouncing back". You can pass along a tip to the police anonymously.

I turned in a hit man from one of the drug gangs in Flint in 2003. Never got a "bounce back" because the thugs never knew it was me.

It's just a matter of people having the moral fortitude necessary to realize that their children's lives mean something and that it's their responsibility to do something to protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    You really think ministers are going to stop thugs from bouncing back on those who snitched?
    No. The point is to change the whole "no snitch" culture, one step at a time. A statement from the group of ministers would be a positive first step. Another step would be for parents [[yes, plural: mom and dad) to step up.
    In the distant past, it was argued that neighborhoods of black people were "occupied" by a white police force. This is no longer true, and hasn't been for a long time.
    It could be argued that the seige of these neighborhoods by black thugs is more severe than the alleged "occupation" of the past. Black on black crime has devastated entire neighborhoods. Isn't it time to begin to take the streets back?

For what it's worth, it looks like there was another shooting this afternoon - 2 blocks away from where the 7 teens were shot last week.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ppened-at.html
    Last edited by Fnemecek; July-09-09 at 10:27 PM.

it's interesting how much of a non-story the whole shooting of seven kids at a bus stop has become. another thing i've noticed is that the two fallen-down light posts that people used as benches for the bus stop have been removed since the shooting. the city needs to be embarrassed before taking cosmetic action on its obvious duties. but hopefully, this ordeal will fade as quickly from memory and newsprint as the hart plaza shooting has.

crawford Guest

The Baptist and born-again ministers are capitalists, nothing more.

I doubt most even believe in God. They believe in ripping off old ladies.

There is no profit incentive in fighting "no snitching", so it won't be pushed by all the Detroit bible-thumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    The Baptist and born-again ministers are capitalists, nothing more.

I doubt most even believe in God. They believe in ripping off old ladies.

There is no profit incentive in fighting "no snitching", so it won't be pushed by all the Detroit bible-thumpers.
    You are correct. They seem to be on a mission to give support for crooked politicians and perpetuating the "us" vs "them" race card.
    This is why I threw out the challenge.
    They are not only capitalists, but non tax paying capitalists!

Are the shooters in bracelets yet?

No arrests have been made in this case as of yet. [[Well, except for the guy that they had to cut lose for a lack of evidence.)

There also haven't been any arrests made in connection with the second shooting that happened a week later, just a couple blocks from the first shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    No arrests have been made in this case as of yet. [[Well, except for the guy that they had to cut lose for a lack of evidence.)

There also haven't been any arrests made in connection with the second shooting that happened a week later, just a couple blocks from the first shooting.

Warren Evans is too busy poring over data to determine where the next shooting will occur; he doesn't have time to worry about shootings that happened before he became chief.

Right now, Evans also is considering whether to enlist the aid of Dionne Warwick or Miss Cleo to help him find where the next outbreak of violence will be. So, as you can see, Mr. Evans is preoccupied right now. Get off his back.

What a sad state of affairs that someone could get away with opening fire on a crowd of people in broad daylight in front of a busy gas station on Warren & Southfield Fwy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    Warren Evans is too busy poring over data to determine where the next shooting will occur; he doesn't have time to worry about shootings that happened before he became chief.

Right now, Evans also is considering whether to enlist the aid of Dionne Warwick or Miss Cleo to help him find where the next outbreak of violence will be. So, as you can see, Mr. Evans is preoccupied right now. Get off his back.

Yeah, well, this shooting happened after Warren Evans became Detroit's Chief of Police. http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ppened-at.html

No arrests there either. Maybe he can get a refund from Miss Cleo?

That is one of the most insensitive posts I've read. You probably tell yourself that crime don't happen in your blissful little suburb, but you could at least show some decency toward the citizens of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post

They never found the guy who shot up Hart Plaza during the fireworks several years ago either. How many witness did they have for that - like about a quarter million?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They never found the guy who shot up Hart Plaza during the fireworks several years ago either. How many witness did they have for that - like about a quarter million?
    I think a large part of the problem is the mentality some people have about not snitching on the criminals. I find it hard to believe that the perps haven't bragged about their deeds to family and/ or friends, yet nobody has provided any info to the authorities.

Until folks weed out all the thugs in society, I don't see any hope for an end to this foolishness.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast