Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Speaking of Robert Bobb...I appreciate his prompt response, but he is the Emergency Financial Officer, not the Superintendent. Where were the Acting Supt. and members of the School Board?

I agree with Retroit on Robert Bobb. I don't recall any of the other DPS top leaders doing that recently, it speaks volumes for this man.

Quote Originally Posted by aoakley View Post
    I agree with Retroit on Robert Bobb. I don't recall any of the other DPS top leaders doing that recently, it speaks volumes for this man.
    One thing that bothers me about that guy is he's like a moth when the television lights come on, bingo- there he is. He doesn't seem to mind the limelight.

Since the state of the economy warrants for some officers to be laid off, then maybe a small compromise can be negotiated. Perhaps those left should be allowed to bring their own weaponry. At least make it a fair fight. You certainly can't bring a knife to a gunfight...I'm just saying.

A black Detroit teenager has turned himself in to police for he maybe involved with the other two shooters at the bus stop. That Detroit black teenager maybe involved in the ghettohood gang war between the "Young Squads" vs the "Clown Sqauds".
    The Clown Squads and the Young Squads are new cliques that evolved from The Joy Rds. and the Chi-Towns. So far the Young Squads have claimed Islamic Warrendale and Warrendale. Their territory and continue to spread their tagger of terror to the Dearborn borders and Rouge Park. They first couquered 6 Detroit ghettohood streets from Archdale to Grandmont south of W. Warren Ave.

The Clown sqauds have Tireman St. area near Cody High School. Both new cliques are in a war and shootings will heard in the Warrendale area. A neighborhood watch MUST be organized of you all want these new cliques out of your area.

For some interesting reads, check out wxyz's website about the "latest" shooting. These residents are getting pissed and it appears they may take matters into their own hands. And the Clown Squad? WTF???

I wonder if our crappy newspapers are going to do any investigating reporting on this story? Who are these guys and why did they start shooting at a busy intersection? Where did they get the guns? Were they raised by single parents? Are they in gangs? What do their parents know about their behavior? Is this caused by gangster rap or racist amerikka? Do they realize that they might get life in prison if caught?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I wonder if our crappy newspapers are going to do any investigating reporting on this story? Who are these guys and why did they start shooting at a busy intersection? Where did they get the guns? Were they raised by single parents? Are they in gangs? What do their parents know about their behavior? Is this caused by gangster rap or racist amerikka? Do they realize that they might get life in prison if caught?
    Q1: Now, yes
    Q2: Totally irresponsible punk ass thug wannabees
    Q3: Guns can be purchased or stolen anywhere. There is no control.
    Q4: Statistically, yes. Add: inept or uncaring to single.
    Q5: Probably, but not necessarily. Depends on definition of "gang".
    Q6: Not much, which is part of the problem.
    Q6: Not caused, but definitely encouraged by "thug culture & no snitch".
    Q7: Absolutely not. But rather than an embarrassment, it gives bragging rights.

I just don't get it. I was a teenager in the late 80's in H.P. and I never had the urge to get a gun [[let alone shoot anyone). This stuff is just really upsetting to me. It is almost like these young people have the mentality of 6 year old children. They have no sense of responsibility or concern for themselves or anyone else.

I'll be surprised if they make as much as an effort as they did regarding our former idiot mayor's scandals.

My house isn't far from that area. There's not enough neighborhood watches in the area, and those that are there don't have any teeth.

These thugs are armed to the teeth while we have incompetent leadership and police with their hands tied. Where were the Transit Police? They should be on every bus, start promoting the recruitment of police officers.

I think that the city citizens that can afford it should get a gun and work on their fast draw. Get a CCW. Those that can't or won't, take some self-defense classes, be watchful of the areas you visit. That incident that occured with those students can occur to anyone of us, no matter where we are.

I don't think that would help in a case like this. It happened so fast that intervening in this would likely get more innocent bystanders shot and get you thrown in prison for being reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I think that the city citizens that can afford it should get a gun and work on their fast draw. Get a CCW. Those that can't or won't, take some self-defense classes, be watchful of the areas you visit. That incident that occured with those students can occur to anyone of us, no matter where we are.

I'm not sure why people are so shocked, or are looking at this as a "Detroit" problem, as at least once a month in America some strutting little nobody opens fire into a crowd of strangers, and suddenly becomes a somebody.

Does anybody think that it's a bit too easy for thugs to obtain weapons and ammo? Does anybody think gun dealers and owners should pay into an insurance pool that would help the victims of reckless firearm users?

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    I'm not sure why people are so shocked, or are looking at this as a "Detroit" problem, as at least once a month in America some strutting little nobody opens fire into a crowd of strangers, and suddenly becomes a somebody.

Does anybody think that it's a bit too easy for thugs to obtain weapons and ammo? Does anybody think gun dealers and owners should pay into an insurance pool that would help the victims of reckless firearm users?
    Q1: Yes.
    Q2: Whoooooaaaa, you had better take steps to maintain your privacy on this, and other forums. The NRA will be coming after you, for even suggesting that some gun owners are reckless and that there are victims.

What about gun owners that use their guns to protect themselves from criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Q1: Yes.
    Q2: Whoooooaaaa, you had better take steps to maintain your privacy on this, and other forums. The NRA will be coming after you, for even suggesting that some gun owners are reckless and that there are victims.

quote: "What about gun owners that use their guns to protect themselves from criminals?"

Good for them. I support self defense.

I was answering a question about irresponsible gun owners, like the punks that shot up the bus stop, and trying to make the point that we have lost control of the situation.

Retroit Guest

A few things:
    1. Re: Rob Bobb liking the "limelight": It's called leadership. If someone is using the "limelight" for their own aggrandizement, yes, that is objectionable. But for a leader to come out and provide information to the public...that is commendable!
    2. Why is this happening? Well, you sit down a child in a classroom to learn their A,B,Cs and you sit down a child in front of a television to learn how to shoot people they don't like.
    3. Is it time yet to call in the National Guard, or is only Iraq worthy of having her citizens be protected?

How much longer can we go without hiring more cops? Where is that invisible line? Kids are shooting kids in the middle of the day at a busy intersection. It seems like that would be it, but its not. Not yet.

No.

Why should I, or anyone else, be punished for someone else's criminal actions? Punish the criminal, leave me alone. The victims can certainly file a civil suit against the men who did this and anyone connected to it and get compensation that way. Collective punishment is not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverinesA2 View Post
    Why should I, or anyone else, be punished for someone else's criminal actions?
    Not to be snarky, but we are already punished for someone else's criminal actions. The costs of law enforcement and the penal system, just to itemize a couple.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; July-02-09 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo

No, I don't think so at all. It's not the fault of the gun, dealer or law abiding gun owner. It's 100% the fault of the idiots with the tee shirts pulled over their heads pulling the trigger shooting into a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Not to be snarky, but we are already punished for someone else's criminal actions. The costs of law enforcement and the penal system, just to itemize a couple.
    Law enforcement and corrections are paid for via taxes that everyone pays. It's not like you're singling out a group of people to pay for it. But that's exactly what Barnes was suggesting, that gun owners should be singled out and forced to reach into their pockets and compensate the victims of criminals. That's not fair. So because I own a deer rifle, I should have to pay when some gangbanger in Detroit busts a cap in someone's ass? F*ck that.

What if it wasn't gun owners? Here's a hypothetical situation for you. What if every person in Detroit had to pay into an insurance fund called the "Suburban crime victims restitution fund?" Every time a Detroiter commits a crime in the suburbs, Detroiters will have to pay to compensate the victims. Sound fair? Or is it only fair when you aren't part of the group being singled out for collective punishment becuase of the misdeeds of a few?

I've been scanning this thread reading posts about needing more Police, blaming the Mayor, etc.

This type of thing is nothing new in Detroit. It's been happening for decades. In the late 60's, when we left Cerveny at the end of the day, it was common to see 7 or 8 four man TSS units parked along Puritan. Several more patrolled Hubbel down to Cooley.

Shootings, knifings and general fights were common at Cooley, Cody, Mumford and to a lesser extent Ford.

The problem is with the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I've been scanning this thread reading posts about needing more Police, blaming the Mayor, etc.

This type of thing is nothing new in Detroit. It's been happening for decades. In the late 60's, when we left Cerveny at the end of the day, it was common to see 7 or 8 four man TSS units parked along Puritan. Several more patrolled Hubbel down to Cooley.

Shootings, knifings and general fights were common at Cooley, Cody, Mumford and to a lesser extent Ford.

The problem is with the parents.
    You're right. I lived on Strathmoor 2 blocks from Grand River and we got out in 1967. I had to go to Cadillac Middle School and it was horrible. We left before the area was totally gone because I was jumped by a gang a block from home on my way back from school. There were 10 of them [[including males) and I was 13. Thankfully a lady saw what was going on and she didn't just run and hide. Luckily there hadn't been too much damage done to me. I knew the main players...and when prosecuted they got a slap on the wrist. I didn't know it till years later, but the hits on the head caused me to have spinal cord compression which has caused a lot of trouble over the years. I have 3 fusions with plating in my neck, but at least I wasn't shot to death. So, please don't tell me violence in Detroit is anything new-all this happened 42 years ago. Lord, that just made me feel old, lol. The only thing that's changed is there are guns now...the problem is the violent fools that are never held accountable for their actions or their childrens actions.

Funny thing is that the one cop who actually did something about it and got some results [[John Nichols) was raked over the coals for it. What did the city end up with? William Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Cody 9th Grade Academy is supposedly different than Cody 10-12. They broke the 9th grade away from the rest of the students to give more focus to the 9th graders. I heard it isn't working the way they had planned. I think the Academy is housed in a small section of the building, although I am not 100% on this.
    I just happened to notice the Cody Academy last weekend while driving down Southfield, a day or two before the shooting happened ironically. It's right on the east side of the Southfield service drive - I think it's just north of Warren if I remember right. It may be associated with the high school, but it's not on the Cody 'campus'.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast