Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I challenge all the storefront churches in Detroit[[you are our soldiers), call out the killers, there is no reason to harbor and shelter criminals, turn they asses in...

Quote Originally Posted by rustic2 View Post
    We need some major reforms in DPD, and about 1,000 more officers on the streets. Now.
    Why, so the people can say the cops are killing residents?

I feel for Detroit's Finest, as they are in a no-win situation. If they chase, and accidentally kill the criminals, they are labeled "killers", if they fail in their pursuit, they are called useless and incidental.

WAKE UP DETROIT, until you take back the streets, you will continue to enjoy the status quo...

For what it's worth, since this thread started, I've posted 4 updates to the blog post at the top as more details came in.http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ting-at-w.html

A couple of the highlights:

• DPD has located the green minivan that the 2 shooters drove off in;
    • They also obtained the surveillance tapes from the gas station;

There are also reports - both neighborhood gossip and details reported in the Freep - that this happened as a result of some argument or another that happened earlier at the school The bulk of the victims were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There have been lots of posts placing blame on the families who should have raised these kids better, the police or the mayor. Quite frankly, I'm angry enough to blame all of them.

The parents should have done done a better job at raising their off-spring. They ought to occupy a jail cell right next to them.

However, the fact of the matter is that there are always going to crappy parents and people like the two individuals who did this shooting. This is why the police exist in the first place: to protect the rest of us from the results of bad parenting.

Let's not forget that this is the same neighborhood where, two years ago, two boys [[ages 11 and 13) were gunned in their own home by a group of drug dealers. There was a surge of police activity immediately after that shooting. The Mayor and the City Council spoke out about it. The Mayor even made a point of it in his State of the City Address a couple of weeks later.

A few days later, though, it was like nothing ever happened. The police were gone. The drug dealers and gangs were back, as if it was nothing but a minor interruption in their lives.

As president of the Warrendale Community Organization, I pleaded with the Mayor and the City Council to invest more of our tax dollars into public safety in the aftermath of that shooting. They ignored me.

For those who follow my blog, I have warned repeatedly that another shooting was almost inevitable. The conditions that gave rise to the March 2007 shooting are still present today.

Instead of investing our money in public safety, they spent $19 million in City funds on the Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley project, which has thus far yielded one new restaurant.

Instead of investing our money in public safety, they decided to fund 5 different economic development agencies - none of which are doing a very good job.

Instead of investing our money in public safety, they went off and did a few hundred other incredibly stupid things.

As far as I am concerned, the blood of these 7 teenagers is on their hands. They had the ability to act. They had the responsibility to act. They chose not to.

It's that simple.

Detroitej72, 90 percent of Detroiters would welcome more cops on the streets, as long as the cops were properly trained and doing their jobs respectfully, responsibly and thoroughly -- and had the backing of city hall. That's not to say they'd be willing to stick their own necks out to help the cops, but if citizens saw some results from better policing, that mentality could change over time.

Fnemecek, hear hear. You're right on with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    As president of the Warrendale Community Organization, I pleaded with the Mayor and the City Council to invest more of our tax dollars into public safety in the aftermath of that shooting. They ignored me.

For those who follow my blog, I have warned repeatedly that another shooting was almost inevitable. The conditions that gave rise to the March 2007 shooting are still present today.

Instead of investing our money in public safety, they spent $19 million in City funds on the Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley project, which has thus far yielded one new restaurant.
    I hate to say this, but I suspect that if you were black and had Al Sharpton alongside you, they probably would have listened more closely to what you had to say.

Detroitej72, 90 percent of Detroiters would welcome more cops on the streets, as long as the cops were properly trained and doing their jobs respectfully, responsibly and thoroughly -- and had the backing of city hall. That's not to say they'd be willing to stick their own necks out to help the cops, but if citizens saw some results from better policing, that mentality could change over time.
    I hope and pray for the police that you are right.,

Well stated Fnemecek!!

I have acquaintances who live in the area, and have gotten gas at that Shell station at least 1/2 dozen times in the last few years.... just awful....

Ah yes, Warrendale. Cracktown. Joy Boy division. Awesome. Why is it that the only remaining residents in greater Detroit who seem to care are the elderly and gas station owners.

People don't care, don't care, really don't, don't really care, don't care at all.

Not only is thievery and thug murder lauded, it is rewarded, in they ghetto. That's just how it's become. Bing IS a friggin wuss. But who [[politician) isn't?

Buy American Guest

Any officer on the street has had hours and months of training before they are put on the street. There are hours of reading, studying the laws, studying individual rights, reviewing scenarios of possible confrontations, how to use a weapon properly, whether it be pistol or a taser; how to drive. They are prepared as policemen. Then....reality hits them the minute they are on the streets. They soon find out that EVERYTHING they learned in the academy doesn't mean a thing. If they taser, they are criticized. If they chase some criminal in a car and there is an accident where someone is killed, they are criticized. If they shoot someone because either their lives are in jeopardy or defending someone else, they are criticized. Instead of handcuffing the bad guys, the police are handcuffed themselves and condemned.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to be a Detroit Police officer. They are the finest group of people in Michigan and yet no one appreciates what they do each and every day, especially the thugs in Detroit. The minute they leave the safety of their own homes, they put their lives on the line for every citizen in Detroit....do thugs like the shooters at the bus stop care....NO!

The good guys have no rights. The gangs, thieves, murderers, and extortionists have more rights than any law-abiding citizen...and you all know it.

Saw this story on HLN about 4:30am...if it's not one "positive" Detroit making national headlines, it's another [[insert eye roll!)

[[CNN) -- Seven people, at least five of them high-school students, were shot Tuesday at a bus stop in Detroit, Michigan, officials said.
    Tuesday's shooting occurred off school property, a Detroit Public Schools spokesman said.

Two of the victims were in critical condition; the others were in serious condition at area hospitals, Police Chief Roderick Grimes said.
    "Two perpetrators, possibly three, pulled up in a vehicle, exited their vehicle with weapons, asked for a person by name and then opened fire onto the crowd," he said.
    "They got back in their vehicle and exited the scene."
    Police Officer Leon Rahmaan described the vehicle as a green minivan and said the incident occurred about a mile from Cody High School at 2:30 p.m., as summer-school classes were ending for the day.
    The shooters -- both of them male -- covered their faces with either masks or T-shirts, he said.
    The incident occurred off school property, said Robert Bobb of the Detroit Public Schools, who said summer school would continue Wednesday as scheduled.
    "Tomorrow, we'll have new leadership in place at the school," he said. "We want parents to bring their children, have their children continue to come to summer school here tomorrow."
    No one was immediately taken into custody, police spokesman Dan Donakowski said.

Buy American, you are absolutely right....my father was a DP officer for more than 30 years. He is gone now, and he would have been so sad to see what the city that he loved, lived in and protected has become. I have the utmost respect for police officers, but why anyone would want that career these days is beyond me. But thank God for the ones that do...they deserve our respect and gratitude. They are "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" for sure. Policing is much different now.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19916320/detail.html

Looks like one of them surrendered. Let's charge him for terrorism and send him off to Guantanamo. Good riddance to these animals

There's always trouble in the ghettohoods in Detroit.

That shooting incident in the Warrendale ghettohood was very illogical. It could be gang related. When I went through that area a while ago a new street gang called "Young Squads" have tagged various vacant and abandon homes around Archdale St. Grandmont St. south of W. Warren Ave. and Southfield FWY. and called it their territory. Such a once very beautiful white neighborhood now a part of gangland and folks who are living over there countinue to avoid their troubles and lock their iron doors.
    For those students coming from Cody High School/ Bennett ninth grade wing. That shooting could be gang related. Mostly between "Chi-Town vs. Plymouth Boys" or Chi-Town vs. "Young Squads" Those gang are dormant, but can become active if other authority fights back.

Continue to pray for those students and their recovery.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

More brothers killing brothers

Neda Soltani wants change and its going to come.

The stories indicate they were shot outside Cody 9th grade academy...
    How is it all the schools in Detroit become reincarnated as academies? Cody was merely Cody when we were coming up.
    As if adding the word "academy" after the name suddenly gives it some higher esteem. Merriam Webster defines academy as:

Main Entry: acad·e·my
    Pronunciation: \ə-ˈka-də-mē\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form[[s): plural acad·e·mies
    Etymology: Latin academia, from Greek Akadēmeia, from Akadēmeia, gymnasium where Plato taught, from Akadēmos Attic mythological hero
    Date: 1549
    1 a: a school usually above the elementary level ; especially : a private high school
    b: a high school or college in which special subjects or skills are taught
    c: higher education —used with the<the functions of the academy in modern society>
    2 capitalized
    a: the school for advanced education founded by Plato
    b: the philosophical doctrines associated with Plato's Academy
    3: a society of learned persons organized to advance art, science, or literature
    4: a body of established opinion widely accepted as authoritative in a particular field

Things that make you go hmmmm....

According to initial reports, the suspect has at least two previous contacts with police. What a surprise!
    Until punk wannabe thugs like this are held up for ridicule by the community that they prey on, instead of glorified by thug culture, no progress will be made.
    It's time for a change, people.

Cody 9th Grade Academy is supposedly different than Cody 10-12. They broke the 9th grade away from the rest of the students to give more focus to the 9th graders. I heard it isn't working the way they had planned. I think the Academy is housed in a small section of the building, although I am not 100% on this.

Wait a minute! Is DPS school board is closing the Cody 9th grade wing this fall?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    According to initial reports, the suspect has at least two previous contacts with police. What a surprise!
    Until punk wannabe thugs like this are held up for ridicule by the community that they prey on, instead of glorified by thug culture, no progress will be made.
    It's time for a change, people.
    ...but according to his lawyer "he's a good kid". Give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by WolverinesA2 View Post
    The men who did this felt brave enough to do it because they did not fear being caught. A combination of decreased police patrols, slower response times and a public that is either too afraid or too apathetic to cooperate with law enforcement has turned the city of Detroit into a criminal's paradise. Stuff like this doesn't happen in New York City, at least not with the alarming frequency that it occurs in Detroit and Detroit has a fraction of the population. Why? New York City has effective policing.
    What about LA or Chicago.

I read about stuff like this in the LA times all the time, and Chicago is a close second.
    Teenagers normally do stupid stuff because they don't think they will get caught . I don't think Detroit has cornered the market on stupid teenagers.

quote: "...I don't think Detroit has cornered the market on stupid teenagers..."

True. But the City is right up there with the number of inept parents and clueless voters.
    Sorry for the negativity, folks. It's been a bad week!

Retroit Guest

Compliments to Rob Bobb for promptly responding to the news reporters, even though the incident didn't take place on school property. As for the Mayor and Shitty Clown Show, yeah, they don't seem to give a shit. Where are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Oh yes, Al is out in Fantasyland with the father of YooHoo declaring that justice will be served. Can't pass up that photo op. They should be marching on the streets of Detroit demanding that black people stop killing each other [[or anyone else for that matter). But, no, that might be too offensive. Must wait till some white person can be found to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I don't think Detroit has cornered the market on stupid teenagers.
    well, it's certainly a trend-setting market leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Compliments to Rob Bobb for promptly responding to the news reporters, even though the incident didn't take place on school property. As for the Mayor and Shitty Clown Show, yeah, they don't seem to give a shit. Where are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton? Oh yes, Al is out in Fantasyland with the father of YooHoo declaring that justice will be served. Can't pass up that photo op. They should be marching on the streets of Detroit demanding that black people stop killing each other [[or anyone else for that matter). But, no, that might be too offensive. Must wait till some white person can be found to blame.
    al sharpton while reflecting on michael jackson's life: "Michael made young men and women all over the world imitate us..."

what "us?" "us," as in entertainers and musicians that hope to break through political, social, and economic barriers, through a common love of music, art, entertainment, and each other?

i'm really saddened by the odium from sharpton's podium - which is now michael jackson's sad passing. when i heard sharpton's remark, i just felt that if world peace were achieved, sharpton would bemoan his meaninglessness.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I think the Academy is housed in a small section of the building, although I am not 100% on this.
    It's housed in what had been Ruddiman Middle School on the east side of Southfield Service Drive just north of West Warren.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast