Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Shooting in Warrendale

At least 5 teenagers - possibly as many as 7 - were shot at the corner of W. Warren and Southfield earlier this afternoon.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story...fQxiYZR_w.cspx

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2009/...ting-at-w.html

I feel better now. All I found today was a car on blocks stripped [[in place) outside of my house near downtown.

Sorry for the gallows humor; it's frustrating. Know it's a huge job to turn things around, but it would be nice to have some communication from the top.

The saddest thing is that we are not shocked by these occurrences anymore.

Buy American Guest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090630/...s_shot_detroit

From the AP

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31668085...me_and_courts/

MSNBC

Detroit needs more police on the streets and more gang squads.

I understand the DPD is understaffed and underfunded and has massive administrative problems and all that. But it is also clear that patrol officers are not properly deployed. Once again, I drove a good distance through town [[John R to Five Points via Six Mile) the other night and didn't see a single patrol car. I'm not in Detroit as often as I was in years past, but when I am, it seems there are great stretches of the city without any police presence.

A very sad day in Detroit. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and victims. We can not tolerate violence like this anywhere.

wow. i always felt "paranoid" over being concerned about getting caught by a stray bullet as i pass cody. i drive by that bus stop twice daily. it really is a shame when detroit meets these kinds of expectations, and turns silly fears and negative perceptions into destructive and deadly realities. quelle dommage.

I think it's important to remember that it's two gunmen. TWO people, only two, that did this. Not an entire city.
    It's amazing how much damage can be done by so few, in just a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I think it's important to remember that it's two gunmen. TWO people, only two, that did this. Not an entire city.
    It's amazing how much damage can be done by so few, in just a few seconds.
    two people produced by a violent, pervasive culture. the area is known for a lot of gang activity. drive through the neighborhoods and look at all the burned-out shells of homes with h-squad / hustle squad boldly painted on them. so, this is more than two people - this is their society. this is how their beefs are solved, over and over and over.

Until people start to value human life and return to a sense of morals and values, we will continue to witness crap like this. We live in a society that glorifies violence and these cockroaches think that the only way for respect is through the end of a gun, with the "I gotta keep it real" mentality and this is where it leads.

Until the families of these monsters take responsibility and teach their offspring the value of life, we wont see changes anytime soon.

That's about four blocks from the gym where I train. I was leaving there this afternoon shortly after the shooting and actually saw one of the victims laying on the ground. At the time I thought someone had been hit by a car, as that is a very busy intersection. I had no idea it was a shooting until hearing it later on the radio.

Everytime I leave the gym I drive right by that bus stop where the shooting occured. I could easily have been in that gas station at the time the shots were fired.

The constant stream of bad news is wearing me out.

digitalvision is right. Where is the mayor? Does he understand what is happening? Is he going to say anything? Do anything? Send us a message! Let us know you care!

Quote Originally Posted by hubbardfarmer View Post
    digitalvision is right. Where is the mayor? Does he understand what is happening? Is he going to say anything? Do anything? Send us a message! Let us know you care!
    definitely, hubbard! if bing is the leader that detroit needs, he will immediately call a press conference and deliver a sobering message to the city of detroit. he needs to motivate and reassure detroiters the same way that coaches energize and inspire players to win championships. and this game is not basketball; this game is life.

Instead of the standard mayoral press conference where you hear the same stuff about praying for the victims, let's hear the mayor admit we have animals living in this city and we need to solve this problem immediately.

Buy American Guest

As I said before, Bing is a wuss.

I'm in shock over this one. My hubby grew up in Warrendale and still has a sister in law in the old family home there. Also, my stepdaughter still lives there. I had heard from them that things were getting very bad over there, but always thought they were being alarmists. Now I guess they know better. I'm glad both of them are planning on getting out this summer now.

Government is a wuss. Let's find the degenerates and send them to the countryside for hard labor and turn them into real men.

Great to see Detroit on national news again.

MIRepublic Guest

This is one of those events that's relatively easy to understand and can in no way be explained away.

This wasn't some shooting that involved two bad groups or two bad parties, rather, as the papers have put pretty clearly, a brazen, mass daytime shooting of students at a place where any number of bystanders were and could have been caught in the crossfire. When someone feels this brave to pull off something like this on a busy thoroughfare in the middle of the day, something's wrong, and as we all know, that's an understatement.

This type of stuff makes me very, very angry.

Where is the outrage on behalf of our elected officials. There are way too many people in this city, region, and state that will not tolerate this type of behavior. What are we to since there is a collective failure on everyone's behalf here.

I again ask, where are the families of the perps?

I'm gonna assume they lack morals and values.... otherwise, why would their kinfolk behave in such manner?

To quote the words of the late[[great singer) Michal Jackson, "your playing with your life, this ain't no truth or dare" if you wanna stay alive just, better do what you can, so "beat it"...

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    When someone feels this brave to pull off something like this on a busy thoroughfare in the middle of the day, something's wrong, and as we all know, that's an understatement.

The men who did this felt brave enough to do it because they did not fear being caught. A combination of decreased police patrols, slower response times and a public that is either too afraid or too apathetic to cooperate with law enforcement has turned the city of Detroit into a criminal's paradise. Stuff like this doesn't happen in New York City, at least not with the alarming frequency that it occurs in Detroit and Detroit has a fraction of the population. Why? New York City has effective policing.

Bottom line, killers should be thrown away in prison for life...

I don't care why they did the crime, just remove the scum from socieity...

We need some major reforms in DPD, and about 1,000 more officers on the streets. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by rustic2 View Post
    But it is also clear that patrol officers are not properly deployed. Once again, I drove a good distance through town [[John R to Five Points via Six Mile) the other night and didn't see a single patrol car. ... it seems there are great stretches of the city without any police presence.
    They're all patrolling up & down Mt. Elliott looking for speeders by the Poletown plant. I see at least 2 each day on my daily commute.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast