Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: F comcast

Default F comcast

I get more spam in my comcast email than my yahoo, gmail combined, and I have never used it for any commercial purpose. In fact, only 1 person even knows it besides me and comcast, and she hasn't sent me an ecard or anything. They deny making it available, tell me I have to add every spam email directly to a blocked email filter and that they "don't have the technology" to block spam, even though a Luddite living in Botswana has access to that technology. Looks like I'm switching to AT&T, although i will miss the speed

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    ... they "don't have the technology" to block spam....
    Do they expect anyone to believe that? LOL!

FWIW, we have Comcast but I only get spam from companies I've dealt with. We don't have their special business class package either. There must be some other difference but I can't think of what it would be.

There needs to be more competition in the ISP business.

I also use Comcast and only get spam from companies I have dealt with. Amazon has a number of offshoots that are anxious to sell things to me. I can log in with my Amazon profile. It is annoying, but I just spend the first two minutes every morning deleting about 2/3 of my incoming mail.

... they "don't have the technology" to block spam....
    I just remembered. Comcast's free-to-customers Norton Security Suite does have an AntiSpam component. It has several configure options. The blocked list on my primary machine has 17 addresses that I don't recognize. It must have come prepopulated with those.

does that work with their web-based email?

I have the Norton, and it does check the e-mail. I never tried to block spam with it.

does that work with their web-based email?
    I don't know. It's been years since I've used their web-based mail.

If they really can't properly filter spam in both, your complaints are justified tenfold. There's just no excuse for Comcast saying they "don't have the technology" in this day and age. This is such ancient technology.

I've been in tech since 1970 and have watched the whole field regress so badly over the last few decades, I'm afraid I'm regressing myself into a Luddite. It all started going downhill when the moneygrubbers took the reins — and that started with spam!

Now that I think of it, I have called Comcast service a time or two, and it does depend on who I get to talk to whether they can help or not. I have gotten some mighty strange explanations for my problem of no internet access. How about, is your router near your phone, computer or modem? That could be your problem. Well, duh, of course it is near my computer and modem, and my phone is also on my desk so, yes, it is near the phone, too. It has been that way these many moons and the connectivity problem has just started in the past month. So she wants me to disconnect everything, get a really long wire and put the router in the garage, maybe? A few days later, another person actually told me what to do to reboot the thing so I could connect without talking to another space cadet. So, maybe you just got a space cadet, RB?

I never use an ISP email address. ISPs come and go... A zillion years ago I had COMCAST and received the Vmail but never used it and had the whole thing shut down after a few months anyway for many reasons [[poor customer service, poor service PERIOD!).

I am now with another ISP service for web and phones and they provided me with ANOTHER email address I don't used either. They send all of my billing to my alt email as I told them I would never go to or use 'their' prescribe email account. I only keep the name and password for it just in case my wireless goes down [[which is very rare) when they've requested the email name for verification purposes on occasion.

Getting involved with an ISP address is sorta useless to me as you are sunk for all of your contact if you leave the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I don't know. It's been years since I've used their web-based mail.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-13 at 04:11 AM.

the two tech support people had heavily Indian accents - claimed they were in London, ON

I always ask how the weather is...that one is usually not in the script. Once they open up, they usually are honest where they are really at...but you've got to understand they get harrassed by some idiots relentlessly and face serious aggression occasionally.

We use free hotmail/gmail/yahoo mail for various things. Gmail you can use with any mail client, hotmail you can use, at least, with outlook and MS mail. I honestly don't know why you'd want to use your ISP's mail service.

We use a 3rd party VOIP service, and don't have cable TV at all - we use Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming video that's built in to our TV.

All this means is that we don't care who provides us with internet service. We can switch back and forth - all it means is a different wire hooks into the cable modem in the basement. Currently it's Comcast, as we get a phenomenal deal for internet-only service through my wife's employer, but if they ever start price-creeping us we can bounce to AT&T or WOW, or whomever else we want with no disruption in service.

I concur! I would never 'anchor' myself to an ISP's email account! They can give me one as a courtesy but I don't use it. I don't need another email account.

We use a web-based email set up paid for yearly. I use Netflix and Roku streaming for TV and 'puter. No cable bills. I run third-level speed on my ATT wireless, to keep costs down - have no problems downloading things or streaming... less is often more.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-12-13 at 06:06 AM.