Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default No wonder childhood obesity is on the rise....

On the way to work this morning I took a detour south down Newburgh rd to avoid an accident on 275; A school bus had it's red flashers on stopping all 4 lanes of traffic to pick up a student. After the student had been picked up the bus immediately gets to the LH turn lane and turns into Churchill High School. As I proceeded I noticed the sidewalks from the bus stop to the cross walk where there was a traffic signal were cleared and free of ice. We can't expect our kids to walk one block to school now?

In the words of my dad, "I had to walk 50 miles to schools, with holes in the bottom of my shoes...." LOL. But really? I walked a mile to high school and they wonder why we were bean poles back then!

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    We can't expect our kids to walk one block to school now?
    I have a good mind to report you to CPS!

Everyone is paranoid something is going to happen to their kids.

In Livonia, the normal rule is you have to live a mile and a half away from the school in order to take the bus to High School. If there are special needs, [[handicapped, etc) exceptions are made.

It is true that some conditions that inhibit mobility are not obvious to the casual observer.

Did you see this kid actually get out at Churchill? More likely he attends a special program at some other high school and the driver picked him up on the way around his normal morning circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Did you see this kid actually get out at Churchill? More likely he attends a special program at some other high school and the driver picked him up on the way around his normal morning circuit.
    I would hope it was something like you or gazhekwe said and not as it apeared, but you have to wonder that if special needs a caregiver would possibly have to help the student get to the stop on Newburgh, how much more difficult would it be for the caregiver to assist the student one more block to the school negating the need for a bus stop. Who knows?

I think this one is best left a mystery.

You're likely to get into more trouble than its worth, if someone notices you watching the buses too closely. Heh.

Let's just assume this one is doomed to be a young porky fraidycat, and thank the Maker people still respect schoolbus-stop rules.

It's just to bad that 'Curb your Enthusiasm' isn't around anymore. I could see Larry David running into the bus driver at the coffee shop and demanding to know why there was a bus stop one block from the school.

1.8 miles one way for jr & sr high. My dad woulda brained me if they knew I hitchhiked about .6 of a mile when possible along Harper Ave., back then.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    It's just to bad that 'Curb your Enthusiasm' isn't around anymore. I could see Larry David running into the bus driver at the coffee shop and demanding to know why there was a bus stop one block from the school.
    Season 8 was in 2011 and I've seen that another season is likely.

Going gangbusters in AUS too:

http://www.modi.monash.edu.au/obesit...-in-australia/

Cheers