Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Antiques Roadshow is coming to Detroit!

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...w_to_kick.html

I'm really excited about this, hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones to get tickets. Has anyone been to one of these before?
    Is this the first time ARS has stopped in Detroit?

They've been to "our area" to tape the show once in the past.... that was in Southfield...

ohhh baby I want these tickets!! I have fingers and toes crossed

already picking out my items in hopeful anticipation i am getting my hands on tickets!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    ohhh baby I want these tickets!! I have fingers and toes crossed

already picking out my items in hopeful anticipation i am getting my hands on tickets!
    I wonder if that metal statue I bought @ a yard sale is worth anything? I thought Remmington only made shavers.

We went a few years ago when they came to Albuquerque. It was a fun day. We had nothing valuable, but learned a few things that we did not know about what we had [[1920s and 1930s watches and some figurines brought back from Japan in the 1950s). We did see a couple of the items that were shown on the TV show, including a Chinese lion figure that the owner had used as a door stop that Lark Mason valued at about $300K. He also told me that my little Japanese figures were worth $20-30.

Can you go to one of those with a moving van full?

Always a fun show to watch, but I wonder if it's time has really passed as a legit show in the age of google/internet. The one I watched the other day had a guy with a clearly identifiable Diego Rivera painting. They were hyping it the whole episode because IIRC it's their new record holder for value found on the show. The signature was completely readable and the painting itself was, apparently, fairly well known for its "unknown" whereabouts. Anyway... the 800k painting which this guy knew nothing about, could have been identified with about 5 minutes of googling. Further, the guy talks about how it was professionally conserved to stop further deterioration and apparently exhibited and authenticated. It was a Storage Wars-esque level of falseness.

I get the mystery about some unmarked vase or blown glass or weird collectible of indeterminate vintage that might be worth something in the right auction, and that is what I find interesting about the show. It just seems that so often much of what they feature bears clear makers marks, dates, and is something you could plug into google to find just about everything about. And yet, almost every time, the people are like "nope, no idea what that Tiffany style lamp stamped Tiffany Studios on the bottom was...is it a Tiffany?"
    Last edited by bailey; January-09-13 at 01:16 PM.

Bailey... you are under the misconception that EVERYONE has a computer.... or that everyone knows what GOOGLE is.

By the same token you assume that everyone is dealing with a full deck... that's not always the case as with the Non-Detroit Issues thread where Deer Crossings were discussed...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8UPHMzZm8

There are even people who still don't have a TV in their house [[and they're not Amish)...

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    "nope, no idea what that Tiffany style lamp stamped Tiffany Studios on the bottom was...is it a Tiffany?"
    Probably thinks Audrey Hepburn made it in crafts......

bailey I saw that episode and thought the same thing!! seemed rigged..no way that guy had no clue what it was worth, not sure if road show found him or he was trying to find his 15 minutes of fame but he seemed way too intelligent to not know. Professional restoration of that thing had to cost a mint !

Just applied for tickets.
    I have a set of brass candlesticks that my family buried during the civil war so the Yanks couldn't find them when they came, one was broken while in the ground and then repaired a bit sloppily so its not quite straight which gives it some story value for me but Ive always wondered if they have any real value. My gut tells me they don't but it would be fun to find out.
    I think I still have some painting signed by a Pollock, I wonder if thats worth anything.

I have one signed by a Polock also....Thaddeus Kazmierowski...Oh....wait, you said "Pollock". That's not the same, is it?

Remmington with one '' M'' or two MM's ? If its one M and the statue is a western theme it could be worth some moolah depending on the size . The guy who owned a company I worked for was a real western nut , the corporate offices walls were all done in barnwood and about a dozen pedestals that had a bronze Remington on each [[and worth thousands) and took 2 people to carry each statue , had to have been limited editions .
    http://www.frbronze.com/products/remington/

Signed up for tickets myself , been a fan of the show since the beginning . I bought a book a few years back '' Antiques Roadshow - Behind The Scenes '' Part of it was repetitive , but gives a good look of how the show is put together .

Are you sure it's going to be in the City of Detroit. The article said that the location has not been announced. Everyone here knows when some people say Detroit they don't really mean Detroit.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; January-09-13 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I have one signed by a Polock also....Thaddeus Kazmierowski...Oh....wait, you said "Pollock". That's not the same, is it?
    One way to tell is if it has a moutain top theme, colorfully dressed women, guys in hats with feathers, wearing jumpers and holding ice axes, then it's a Polock. If it looks like someone emptied their paint tubes before taking them to recycling, then it's a Pollock.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-09-13 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Can you go to one of those with a moving van full?
    When we went in 2003, the stated limit was two items per person [[although Gloria Lieberman, who appraised my wife's watches, told us she didn't care because she like looking at old watches). If you want to bring furniture, there was a process for submitting photos in advance to determine if you needed to lug it in.

... and leave your Hummel figurines, any images on velvet, and any portraiture of canines gambling at home....

Too bad I couldn't borrow Cezanne's Mount Ste. Victoire from the Ford House in GPS for the show.. there's at least 1/2 dozen versions Cezanne painted... so it would take the by then drooling Roadshow folks some time to determine that it wasn't an unknown copy...

Or really drive them crazy... everybody bring your Pewabic stuff!

Will Mark Wahlberg [[not the actor) and the antique furniture twins be there I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    When we went in 2003, the stated limit was two items per person [[although Gloria Lieberman, who appraised my wife's watches, told us she didn't care because she like looking at old watches). If you want to bring furniture, there was a process for submitting photos in advance to determine if you needed to lug it in.
    I remember reading in the book Antiques Roadshow - Behind The Scenes writtrn by the producer of the show that if an interesting but bulky item like a suspected Federal period chest of drawers etc . , the show will send someone out to get it that knows how to transport it safely .

Saturday June 1st at Cobo is the date , 6,000 tickets to be handed out and 30.000 requests so far . Or you can buy a pair a tickets for a donation to Detroit Public Television [[$500 ) and the book mentioned above or for $1000 you get 2 tickets , the book and a meet and greet with the cast and crew at the Detroit Historical Museum [[includes 1 year membership to DPV)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Saturday June 1st at Cobo is the date , 6,000 tickets to be handed out and 30.000 requests so far . Or you can buy a pair a tickets for a donation to Detroit Public Television [[$500 ) and the book mentioned above or for $1000 you get 2 tickets , the book and a meet and greet with the cast and crew at the Detroit Historical Museum [[includes 1 year membership to DPV)
    If you can afford it, an absolutely great way to spend an evening.

I love Antiques Roadshow. When something comes on the show for appraisal that does not interest me, I channel surf, but come back a few minutes later. The old toys are some of my favorite things. I had a couple of aunts that collected dishes from all over. So I watch to get a feel for the market. Has anyone ever noticed how many women bring something on the show and it belonged to their mother-in law now deceased? Or their husband's aunt or uncle? I had a sister in law that used to take a mental inventory of everything in my parents home. Just waiting for the day when she could take it on Antiques Roadshow.

fanniemae / I had a sister in law that used to take a mental inventory of everything in my parents home. Just waiting for the day when she could take it on Antiques Roadshow.
    I think this is what is meant by "family values".

I didnt get tickets ...boo hiss

did anyone else get lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think this is what is meant by "family values".
    Chuckle. That was a good one.

I love Antiques Roadshow too. But I spend much of the time playing the game of guessing which person is really trying hard to save face when they act like they're still so happy after finding out that their item is worth much less than they thought.

Or guessing which one who finds out their item is worth much more than they thought and says "oh, it's going back home, I'd never sell it", is actually going to take the money and run and soon as they find a buyer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast