Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    ....anyone else from DetroitYes willing to pool in some cash and make this a joint purchase?
    No to this joint, YES to 8200 Mack Ave.!

Cheers
    Last edited by AUSSIE; January-09-13 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post

Cheers
    You probably don't realize that Broadway Ave. in downtown Detroit is anchored by the $42 million restoration of the Capitol Theatre as the new Detroit Opera House [[plus $20+ million parking garage)....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/decojim/2749434423/

... and by the Broadway Historic District... [[with the $650K Wurlitzer Building in the distant left before the tall Broderick Tower)....
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...c_District.jpg

Your fixation on 8200 Mack Ave., is well meaning I'm sure... but there's a saying in real estate... location... location... location... you can do anything you want to that building, but you WILL NOT be able to coax a lot of people to that part of the city very easily... no matter how beautiful the architecture.

... whereas a building [[needing a LOT of work) right across the street from the Detroit Opera House [[where the 3 tenors have performed, as well as opera stars from around the world).... is a much safer bet...

Cheers
    Honestly, AUSSIE, I'm going to tell you what someone should have told me when I invested in Detroit. You're wasting your time and likely, your money. That area is bombed out, and becoming worse daily. It's probably still a great, salvagable, building, but your dream of a functioning micro-brewery, has a snowball's chance in hell of developing into a functioning business. If it couldn't make it as a church, which that and a party store, is one of the more lucrative businesses in Detroit, it's not going to make it as a micro-brewery. You simply do not have the clientele in that neighborhood to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Honestly, AUSSIE, I'm going to tell you what someone should have told me when I invested in Detroit. You're wasting your time and likely, your money. That area is bombed out, and becoming worse daily. It's probably still a great, salvagable, building, but your dream of a functioning micro-brewery, has a snowball's chance in hell of developing into a functioning business. If it couldn't make it as a church, which that and a party store, is one of the more lucrative businesses in Detroit, it's not going to make it as a micro-brewery. You simply do not have the clientele in that neighborhood to support it.
    Thanks for the reality [i know!] check...click!

But as they say "If you build it, he will come"

I have new information today, that the current $150k ask is still too expensive

Did you see the story where one dude purchased a church for $2500?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-just-2500.php

Of course he now wants to resell it for $79k, worth a bash, we shall see how he goes with that, he nicked it!

Cheers

Thanks for the reality [i know!] check...click!

But as they say "If you build it, he will come"

I have new information today, that the current $150k ask is still too expensive

Did you see the story where one dude purchased a church for $2500?

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-just-2500.php

Of course he now wants to resell it for $79k, worth a bash, we shall see how he goes with that, he nicked it!

Cheers
    He thinks he can flip a historically registered church for $79K? He's insane.

The Diocese of London has a nice historical church--Our Lady of the Rosary at Riverside and Drouillard--for sale for $1 right across the river with a nice view of downtown Detroit and Belle Isle. http://wp.dol.ca/webportal/diocese/news_detail/1/9/218

Rumoured that Al Capone personally visited and donated money to the Church to keep the lights on at night to help with rumrunning.

Only condition: need to provide proof of funds that you have $1.8m to do the needed repairs to this heritage church and sign a contract that you'll do them. And that church is in really good shape and it sits an a million dollar parcel of land.

There are so many former catholic churches in Detroit and Windsor that can be had for next to nothing. Churches also tend to be on some of the best parcels in the city and we've had some of them knocked down for plazas, but once it has a heritage designation, you can't knock it down and they're too expensive to maintain. It becomes a white elephant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2