Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sun in an empty room - DPS abandoned school Photoblog

Blarf Guest

OMG he's tresspassing! People like him are the reason these schools end up that way!

Very sad indeed. It would be interesting to know the name of the schools in each picture. One shows the sign, but are all the pictures from the same school?

I've looked at thousands of images like these of Detroit's ruins and the thing that strikes me about them is this: The damage done to many of these old buildings does not look like carelessness--it looks like rage. As if someone is punishing the buildings and their contents for some perceived injustice. It is as if the human spirit gave way to something animal.

^ Rage or hunger for the copper that lies beneath those walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    OMG he's tresspassing! People like him are the reason these schools end up that way!
    I'll make the assumption that your being facetious here...right ??

The History Channel is doing a piece on Hashima Island now. Fascinating ruins.

Pictures like that make me sad as I am custodian for a local district. I take pride in my job and would hate to see either one of my schools end up like that. Hopefully the 29 schools that are slated for closure are secured more properly.

Hey Reddog, you say "local district" and "either one of my schools". Would it be correct for me to assume you are a custodian for the Wayne-Westland School District, and talking about Wayne Memorial [[F*** yea, go Zebras!) and the John Glenn? I went to WMHS from 2003 until I graduated in 2007. If so, did you work at WMHS during those years? I'm curious whether I know you or not. I'd probably know you if I saw you.

DPS can't manage schools properly, either open or closed. The miseducation of Detroit, the #1 civil rights violation today.

LJ, You guessed right in a sense. I was at Wayne, But on midnights.Sometimes it might not look like it but Wayne High even though it is old, It looks alot better then it did when I started there. If you take a look at Wayne, you will notice that it could fall into the lines of some of the High Schools in the DPS. Seeing such schools as Redford and Mackenzie closed is sad.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Masters View Post
    I'll make the assumption that your being facetious here...right ??

That was sarcasm.

Thanks for the reply, Reddog. I see.

I've driven by many of the closed schools looking to photograph Fallout Shelter Signs.
    and many times over the last few years, I've driven by the same schools more than once. Specifically the Jane cooper Elementary. The first time I was there it had all of it's windows, now, not a single one is there. Also i've noticed that many of the buildings that have been secured [[to an extent) have the lower floors covered in that grey plastic coverings, but they leave the 3 or 4th floor unsecured, with many of the windows wide open, winter time or any time. So basicly any thing that mother nature comes up with seeps into the top floors and runs amuck into the lower floors. Rotting the building within. It's sad to see.
    I don't think that DPS will ever fix or level these buildings, cause either vandel or nature will do it for them.

That just makes for a great set for Life after people.

This is sad.

A couple of weeks ago, I drove to my old neighborhood to look at the house that I lived in for most of my life, which is right down the street from now-closed Winterhalter School. I drove in the school's parking lot, did a U-turn and drove back out. There was what looked like some kind of security guard sitting in a car, watching my every move. I guess DPS is trying to make sure this school doesn't end up like the ones in the pics. I wonder how long they're going to do this. Unless they tear the building down or open it back up, eventually it will be another eye sore.

Reddog, I went to Redford H. S. [[ so did my dad, born in 1923 ). Some parts of the building were quite

Reddog, I went to Redford H. S. [[ so did my dad, born in 1923 ). Some parts of the building were quite old, but at least when I was there, were well maintained. It makes me very sad that it is closed, and even tho I have been wanting to take a ride by, I am afraid to see what it might look like now. I think our high school years are some of the best memories we have growing up don't you?

our high school years are some of the best memories we have growing up don't you?
    Yes, I surely do, DetroitBred. Those turning-point years were when we took big, adult-like strides toward becoming who we are.

* Our self-image, our identity, solidified . . . perhaps for life.
    * Goals were envisioned -- realistic ones, if we were smart.
    * Independence was tested as we drove, dated [[quaint, I know ... hooked up, if you prefer), earned pay for more than chores, tried stuff.
    * Confidence grew as we made important choices and learned from them.
    * Interest in sports, music, books, other arts matured . . . as consumers or participants.

Parents, teachers, coaches, friends, co-workers and the culture-at-large all had roles, naturally. But the launchpad of high school is what many of us recall as a liftoff site, as much as college or even more.

Those aren't just buildings we revisit -- they're emotional touchstones, always will be.

Thanks for reminding me, DetroitBred, Now just don't get me started on summer camp.

It's sad that the buildings were not secured. The city should have done something to keep these buildings from being destroyed. Now they are part of the blight of the city and are beyond repair should they be required or if anyone wanted to use them again.

I noticed a piano in one of the pics, as in pictures of abandoned funeral parlors [[organ) churches and hotels. Surprisingly they are left alone..... I think the chalkboards, desks, select books, the ear mold-model whatever you call it,and the exit sign are worth salvaging......oh and the bookshelves also......

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    This is exactly what I have been saying all along and why I do NOT post many pictures! The only thing going good here is that many shots are from the now demolished Jane Cooper Elementary School.

This makes me wish that it would warm up.Need to get some plants from my old, now closed school.Which last I checked was still in good shape.

I street viewed Georgia where the Cooper school stood.

Dear God in heaven......I haven't been in that neighborhood in many years. Blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing. Not even a few burned out hulks or small oasis of 4-5 houses still occupied like one can see in other parts of the east side.

Ok....I'm gonna go back to bed for a couple more hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I street viewed Georgia where the Cooper school stood.

Dear God in heaven......I haven't been in that neighborhood in many years. Blocks and blocks and blocks of nothing. Not even a few burned out hulks or small oasis of 4-5 houses still occupied like one can see in other parts of the east side.

Ok....I'm gonna go back to bed for a couple more hours.
    Where exactly was the school?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast