Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Population map of the US and Canada. One dot=one person.

One dot equals one person OK? No more no less, so dont start acting funny, stop moving.

No but really, let's be serious for a moment and contemplate the density of Detroit vs suburbs. All in all, if you look at the computed graphics resulting from recent national censii, [[I resisted writing censuses, and remembered my latin instead)

Notice how Dearborn, Southwest Detroit and Hamtramck hold particularly well in density. You can also check out the bald patches in areas like Robinwood street etc... Dont forget to click on show labels when you zoom in.

A graduate student at MIT produced this map with data from both countries;

http://bmander.com/dotmap/index.html

Purty cool. But what's up with all those dots living WEST of Riverfront Apartments on the old Free Press printing plant land. The apartments are solid black, which one would expect based on it's density. But easily a hundred other dots spread out south of Jefferson all the way down to Rosa Parks, mostly right at the river banks?

To me, the kicker is comparing two similarly sized metro areas, Detroit and Toronto. Toronto uses about half the land that we do. So many problems resulting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans57 View Post
    To me, the kicker is comparing two similarly sized metro areas, Detroit and Toronto. Toronto uses about half the land that we do. So many problems resulting...
    Metro Detroit is not the worst for that. Compare with metro Atlanta, which also has about the same population.
    Last edited by Király; January-09-13 at 12:31 AM.

jails & prisons are pretty easy to find.

I wonder why there are people living on the golf course at the Country Club of Detroit in Grosse Pointe, but nearby Lochmoor Club doesn't let anyone live on their golf course. Lots of people living in Balduck park, too.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    I wonder why there are people living on the golf course at the Country Club of Detroit in Grosse Pointe, but nearby Lochmoor Club doesn't let anyone live on their golf course. Lots of people living in Balduck park, too.
    To this comment and the others above: the dots are represented , as stated in the graphic, by block-level counts. At the block-leve they are randomly placed so one dot doesn't equal a person living at that exact location, it just represents a person in that 'block-level' as defined by the census.

Wow, just wow. I know we all generally know what this region looks like but the map is astounding. The sprawl monster has nearly reached friggin Romeo and even Flint. So will, then, people from Lapeer be able to call themselves "from Detroit" on vacation?

I could send this map to somebody, in, say, Bulgaria, and they'd probably think we're a bustling metropolis given that sheer mass of people in this region. Nope, just endless dumpy suburbs surrounding a really fucked formerly big city.