Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Now that the season is starting things are going to get heated in this thread. Especially after I start calling for the Head Coach head and trade that butter fingered tight end six weeks into the season LOL !!
    I think you can call for Schwartz' head. I don't see if happening if this team gets more than 7 victories. I'd definitely yank back on that chain and give him no more than a two year deal after this season- but I don't fault you for wanting this though. He's been here long enough to move things forward.

My fear is that we'd be into another rebuild mode.

Butter fingered tight ends? Which one? Pettigrew or Scheffler? Both of them have had issues hanging onto the ball. I could care less about those guys being decent down the field threats as long as they can block well and give Reggie Bush a shot at scaring the crap out of the other team's defense.

But I too think this thread will start getting heated soon. I know gnome's Miss Cleo turban has been picked up from the dry cleaners and itching to getting fired up soon. I can also smell smogboy's dry-erase markers as he gets ready for the Big Board of Predictions.

9-7 miss the playoffs. Schwartz gone after Mayhew throws him under the bus. Mayhew discovered in a Ssn Fransisco steam bath, while on a trip during the Division playoffs, quietly resigns 3 days before next years draft day.

Ziggy sits out three games and makes a smaller splash than hoped.

Suh, denies paternity claims.

Delmas plays in all 9 wins.

Reiff makes everyone forget Backus played here at all.

Dom hires Sam Bernstein to represent him in a messy divorce .

Stafford throws like he is Superman and the ball is kryponite.

The Ugly: pettigrew is booed to the point of tears by the loyal fans in Sections 14 through 38. The Wave is started after Brandon sets the record for most drops, however, tragedy ensues as The Wave causes a reverse double vortex whirlpool. Kate Upton appears topless at Halftime thanks to Bernie Bagel running her over after hipchecking Debbie Doughnut into the goalposts.

Sheffler discovers he has been dating his own mom after a DNA test.

So, that's about it for predictions.

9-7, last yr of mr moobs.

7-9. Schwartz is gone, Mayhew is gone because Old man Ford has one too many drinks and finally kicks the bucket.

Caveat:

The old man continues to get his daily blood transfusion and lives another year. Schwartz is back as is Mayhew and another poor draft is on the records and the Lions continue with mediocrity. Stafford's talents go to waste [[because we have NEVER developed talent on this team. It either came here with high regards or was left to rot) and becomes subpar.

11-5, they win a playoff game

10 - 6. My reasoning? They are expected to do much worse and they never do whats expected. This team doesn't look that good. I'm not sold on Bush and Ziggy's already hurt. The schedule is brutal. Should be 5-11 or 6-10.

Alrighty I might as well get on it [[or at least face the wrath of thruster315 badgering me every third day) and get the predictions list going.

And for those of you that want to see what the so-called experts have chosen, I’ve culled a few of them so far:

Dave Birkett [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Carlos Monarrez [[Detroit Free Press): 7-9
    Jeff Seidel [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Drew Sharp [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Justin Rogers [[MLive.com): 7-9
    Kyle Meinke [[MLive.com): 7-9
    Jeff Risdon [[Bleacherreport.com): 7-9
    Ty Schalter [[Bleacherreport.com): 9-7
    Joe Flannelly [[footballnation.com): 9-7
    Thomas Emerick [[rantsports.com): 6-10
    Dan Leach [[Detroit.cbslocal.com): 11-5

So pile on.

Pull out the crystal ball, lucky rabbit’s foot, rub Buddha’s belly, check with your bunion, confer with gnome’s infamous Miss Cleo turban, read the tea leaves, spin the wheel of fortune, drink the Kool-Aid or whatever it takes to come up with your Detroit Lions’ pre-season pick. Take into consideration all of the team’s off-season moves, the roster moves, and your own personal vendettas, and whatever bouts of logic and hunches you might have to come up with an informed prediction.

I’d like to think we can quietly put an end to the predictions come Friday night- September 6th, two days before the team’s first game. It’ll give me time to compile everyone’s prognostications and lock them in for the 2013 season.

For those of you that have been brave and have made your predictions already, my sincere thanks. Your efforts have not gone down in vain and will be included in this year’s DetroitYes Mighty Lions Pre-season Predictions.

Thank you, Mr. Comissioner. May the Season of Sorrows begin, the ribbon has been cut and while never sanitized for your protection, may this thread stand in mute testimony for all that 2013 portends.

Livers will be augured for unknowable truths, lives will be altered on the altar of mournful suffering, and lips turned blue from the Koolaid supped will speak of six decades of hopeless hope.

May the Season begin!

At best 7-9 probably worst, remember the Lions have the second toughest schedule in the league this year

Miami unloaded Reggie Bush without much of a wealth of running backs. Reggie is not durable and is only a spot runner.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    At best 7-9 probably worst, remember the Lions have the second toughest schedule in the league this year
    I was hell bent on giving our team a 10-6 shot but then got the shaky knees & yellow streak running up my spine looking at the schedule. I dunno. I'm perplexed. My loyalty and silly faith in this team wants me to take this plunge... but... I... just... can't... do... it.

I'm going to have to go with an optimistic 9-7.

I see them winning a few that they shouldn't and par for the course, give a way a few that they should win. That disaster that happened last year can't happen again, can it?

So yes, Commissioner Smogboy- put me down for a hesitant [[albeit semi-confident & realistic) 9-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Miami unloaded Reggie Bush without much of a wealth of running backs. Reggie is not durable and is only a spot runner.
    Miami did not jettison Bush, Bush wanted out of Miami. In his two years there he compiled over two grand in yardage; which is more than every Lion running back combined.

Signing Bush was/is a major improvement and to suggest otherwise is unsmart in the extreme.

Everyone is free to comment here, but you better be able to back up your opinion with a smidgen of reality.

Bush has already supplied a veteran voice in the locker room, has not skirted hardwork in training camp or in the preseason.

We have our problems, bush ain't one of them.
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?story...80&src=desktop

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Miami did not jettison Bush, Bush wanted out of Miami. In his two years there he compiled over two grand in yardage; which is more than every Lion running back combined.

Signing Bush was/is a major improvement and to suggest otherwise is unsmart in the extreme.

Everyone is free to comment here, but you better be able to back up your opinion with a smidgen of reality.

Bush has already supplied a veteran voice in the locker room, has not skirted hardwork in training camp or in the preseason.

Also Bush showed during his time in Miami that he could run between the tackles effectively , that was something he didn't show in N.O.

12 and 4. I'll be accepting my drinks at Sweetwater.

The Lions took a big step backwards last year. This year they take a small step forward. 6-10

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Way to call it out, brother gnome!

I looked at Reggie Bush's numbers over the last few years in Miami and I can't see how anyone can call him a spot player. he played 15 and 16 games respectively in his last two years there. 216 and 227 rushes in each of those seasons as well. If he wasn't durable he sure didn't show it in Miami.

Now if someone wants the second coming of Barry Sanders, it just isn't going to happen. Bush is a huge upgrade to the position and adds a lot more versatility than what we've had. Ideally that person should've been Jahvid Best but that didn't pan out. And look at the potency of our offense when we did have a RB who had just enough speed to dart through the line and also be able to swing out to the flat and catch one for a long gain.

I'd much rather put my faith in Reggie Bush than a double tight end set with Pettigrew and Scheffler. I see the addition of Bush as a damn good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    12 and 4. I'll be accepting my drinks at Sweetwater.
    Gotta love the optimism here! You one brave cookie!

Swigging the Kool Aid but I'm not gonna bust on you for this daring pick. Crazier things have happened in the NFL and if there was one team that I wouldn't mind seeing have a 12-4 record it's gonna be our Lions.

I really hope I'm short here and you're dead-on right.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Gotta love the optimism here! You one brave cookie!
    One has to have some sense of optimism with this team. One of these days a guy like 7miledog will be proven genius and he'll be sporting the championship belt of Detroityes prognosticators as the rest of us scratch our heads wondering "who knew?"

But just in case anyone wants to know or care what these so-called professional pundits from The Detroit news think about this upcoming season, here are their picks:

Chris McCosky: 9-7
    Josh Katzenstein: 6-10
    Bob Wojnowski: 8-8
    John Niyo: 9-7

Not that they're any more brighter or brilliant than any of us here as far as I'm concerned. It's just that they get paid a nickel for their thoughts.

11 and 5 makes the playoffs and win the thanksgivingngame

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    One has to have some sense of optimism with this team. One of these days a guy like 7miledog will be proven genius and he'll be sporting the championship belt of Detroityes prognosticators as the rest of us scratch our heads wondering "who knew?"

But just in case anyone wants to know or care what these so-called professional pundits from The Detroit news think about this upcoming season, here are their picks:

Chris McCosky: 9-7
    Josh Katzenstein: 6-10
    Bob Wojnowski: 8-8
    John Niyo: 9-7

Not that they're any more brighter or brilliant than any of us here as far as I'm concerned. It's just that they get paid a nickel for their thoughts.

and their track record is abysmal

Hey, if I'm wrong I'll just say I had a spontaneous bout of dyslexia and meant to type 4-12. Either way, I'll still need those drinks at Sweetwater.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    and their track record is abysmal
    The sad thing is those guys get paid to talk about this team 24/7. They're the so-called experts.

We're the dopes here who do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    Hey, if I'm wrong I'll just say I had a spontaneous bout of dyslexia and meant to type 4-12. Either way, I'll still need those drinks at Sweetwater.
    Don't you dare claim anything other than sheer brilliance, daring and the balls of steel to make that sort of call! Let's enjoy this boondoggle of a ride with this silly team of ours. We'll probably be disappointed but why not shoot for the stars? Hell, on account of your optimism- I'm almost tempted to add another victory or two to my pre-season prediction.

I'll let the Commish know if I have the iron clads to do so before the deadline tonight. Damn that came up fast.

So as it stands, the DetroitYes Mighty Lions Pre-season predictions:

Gnome: 9-7
    GOAT: 7-9
    rb336: 11-5
    Downriviera: 10-6
    firstandten: 7-9
    thruster315: 9-7
    7miledog: 12-4
    jefferson78: 6-10
    Gushi1124: 11-5
    smogboy: 8-8

Needless to say I'd say we're all fans of this team. None of us thought we'd repeat last season's dismal 4-12 record. Everyone thought we'd improve based upon the predictions here; to what degree we all had varied opinions.

The most optimistic prediction was 7miledog's with a 12-4 prediction and the most pessimistic prediction was GOAT's & firstandten's 7-9. Based upon the toughness of their schedule 7-9 isn't a bad bet, but this is also the NFL where parity amongst teams exists too. Generally there aren't too many blowouts [[ironically I say this in light of Denver's dismantling of Baltimore the other night too) and one tipped ball or a dropped pass can humble the most talented of teams. And the oh-so-unfortunate injury bug can hit anyone too.

We shall see. It should be an exciting season ahead. Go Lions!!!

I'm gonna say 7-9, but I also think there's a distinct possibility that things could get ugly with a few injuries. I watched Fox get pushed straight back 7 yards by a linebacker against New England. What are the odds that three new guys on the offensive line is going to work ? Even if they pan out, it's gonna take half a year for them to gel into a workable unit. We got real lucky with OL injuries the last few years. I'm also quite unhappy that we haven't drafted a real Center in the first three rounds the last few years. The reason we can't make a 4th and one is still there !! I do like that we have some NFL caliber depth at running back for a change...at least I think we do.
    The defense should be improved. We at least have a little depth in the secondary, and I sure hope Delmas can stay healthy. Vandenbosch was a liability the last year and a half, so I'm hoping for some improvement there, especially against the run. Schwartz and crew were outcoached three games last year. If that continues, he deserves to go.

T

First set of plays- we looked phenomenal marching it down the field and stall. Only to be followed by a muffed hold. No points for a semi-impressive first touch with the ball.

And now Adrian Peterson guts us from stem to stern with a run from scrimmage?

WTF???

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast