Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Doesnt look like Stafford wants to help out, cat say I blame him.
    In free agency I keep hearing about RB's & WR's, give me some D

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Doesnt look like Stafford wants to help out, cat say I blame him.
    In free agency I keep hearing about RB's & WR's, give me some D
    I'm not sure what the hang-up is here with Matt Stafford. All he has to do is re-structure, right? It's not like he'd be getting paid any less money. It could just be the length of deferment or some other payment schedule discussions that are holding things up. I don't see why he wouldn't do it on those grounds just because it'd also be in his best interest to loosen up some of the cap space so he and the team can accumulate more talent around him.

I'm also in agreement with getting more defensive minded with the free agency, but then it also makes me wonder if Martin Mayhew's not looking to resolve some of those issues in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Hell, I think he's borderline NFL Hall of Fame material- but as a Lions fan today, I want him to come back with this team and have a friendly salary number.
    Just think if Jason Hanson had played for any other even near contender, he'd almost be a shoo-in for the NFL Hall of Fame. Because the poor guy's been stuck here for his entire career, he might get over looked for that honor some day. I admire his willingness and dedication to stay with one team his entire career. He's definitely been a gem amongst the manure and if there were almost any givens on this Lions team, he'd be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I'm not sure what the hang-up is here with Matt Stafford. All he has to do is re-structure, right? It's not like he'd be getting paid any less money. It could just be the length of deferment or some other payment schedule discussions that are holding things up. I don't see why he wouldn't do it on those grounds just because it'd also be in his best interest to loosen up some of the cap space so he and the team can accumulate more talent around him.

I'm also in agreement with getting more defensive minded with the free agency, but then it also makes me wonder if Martin Mayhew's not looking to resolve some of those issues in the draft.
    It might sound easy on the outside looking in, but it's not as easy as re-arranging the furniture in the dining room to drop in a new cozy. I read the following article and my head's still spinning from all of the number crunching that they got to navigate in order to get Matty Stafford's numbers down...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ion_for_d.html

Gosder Cherilus to the Colts- $34 million with a $10 million dollar signing bonus? DAMN! Ain't no way we were gonna match that deal. See ya, Goz.

Gosder has all the physical traits of being a monster, is a smart guy and is exceedingly gifted at picking pockets.

he just stole money from Indy, saw them Hoosiers coming and dry humped the money right out of them.

i have know idea what that means, but it sure makes an interesting visual.

colt fans will find out on 3rd and 1 what offsides is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    he just stole money from Indy, saw them Hoosiers coming and dry humped the money right out of them.

i have know idea what that means, but it sure makes an interesting visual.
    Damn, gnome... I really didn't need the visual of big Goz dry humping anything, and sure as hell not after lunch.

The Lions Twitter feed just noted that our beloved team just inked Chris Houston to a five year deal. Smart and prudent deal.

And they just inked Jason Jones too. I don't think he's as good as Avril but let's see how he plays alongside the likes of Suh & Fairley. For all we know Avril could be exposed if he plays alongside guys that aren't being double teamed all the time. While I like Cliff Avril, he might very well be the beneficiary of the system we have here. Money wise, it's just not grocking with Cliffy to returning to our team.

They also made room to sign these guys because Ndamukong Suh re-structured his contract. If there's anything that's going to help garner him more respect with his team mates, this is another step. If memory serves me correctly [[it helps not having drinks at lunch), this is the second time he's done this. A lot of folks [[myself included) have wondered about his commitment to this team and this kind of makes me re-consider that stance now.
    Last edited by Thruster315; March-13-13 at 11:44 AM.

Four years of Bush.

Reggie, not George.

Well, hmmm, at least it is not the same old Lions. Is Bush washed up? Hmm

Well, hmmm, at least it is not the same old Lions. Is Bush washed up? Hmm
    I'm curious as to what his numbers are. I'm willing to bet a few sashes of your psychic turban that we over paid just a bit for this guy. To what degree did we over pay for this guy is going to impact our other needs. I'd still like to see some more guys on the defensive side of the ball signed though.

Sonuva...

No sooner said than done. They signed GQ himself.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...to_5-year.html

Five years though?

The Lions Twitter feed just noted that our beloved team just inked Chris Houston to a five year deal. Smart and prudent deal.
    This was the deal that I was actually the most excited about. Houston's probably been one of the better defenders on our team the last few years. The value of his play is that one hardly mentions his name during the play-by-play. He's the closest thing that we've had to a shut-down corner and has been pretty solid the last few years.

And they just inked Jason Jones too. I don't think he's as good as Avril but let's see how he plays alongside the likes of Suh & Fairley. For all we know Avril could be exposed if he plays alongside guys that aren't being double teamed all the time. While I like Cliff Avril, he might very well be the beneficiary of the system we have here. Money wise, it's just not grocking with Cliffy to returning to our team.
    Let's not forget the Willie Young re-up. Let's see how he performs this year now that KVB is gone. This kid is due for a monster season and showed glimpses a season ago. Last year he was invisible but maybe he's one years wiser and just maybe a tad bit better given more responsibility.

They also made room to sign these guys because Ndamukong Suh re-structured his contract. If there's anything that's going to help garner him more respect with his team mates, this is another step. If memory serves me correctly [[it helps not having drinks at lunch), this is the second time he's done this. A lot of folks [[myself included) have wondered about his commitment to this team and this kind of makes me re-consider that stance now.
    Now let's get the other big contract [[Matt Stafford's) in check and get some cap relief to really making this team better.

I am getting some vibes from the remnants of the Tattered Turban: Stafford is playing chicken with Mayhew and Company, but not like everyone thinks.

Matt said, "Hey dickbreath, I restructured last year, told you what we needed and you didn't follow through."

"You started to listen when you kicked Titus to the curb, but I don't think you have really learned anything, yet."

"Get me a running game, shore up the defense, bring back Hanson and then I will know you've learned to listen."

"Draft well, and I will restructure."

So, the Turban sez ... "Expect to hear a Stafford restructure within the next few weeks."

I'm curious as to what his numbers are. I'm willing to bet a few sashes of your psychic turban that we over paid just a bit for this guy. To what degree did we over pay for this guy is going to impact our other needs. I'd still like to see some more guys on the defensive side of the ball signed though.
    I've been able to watch a number of Miami games over the past couple of years and while we may have overpaid for Bush he is not washed up. He's put on some weight , he can now run between the tackles decently which means he's not just a third down back like at NO. Turns out he's become pretty durable as well. Too me he's not a game changer but he's a very good pickup

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I've been able to watch a number of Miami games over the past couple of years and while we may have overpaid for Bush he is not washed up. He's put on some weight , he can now run between the tackles decently which means he's not just a third down back like at NO. Turns out he's become pretty durable as well. Too me he's not a game changer but he's a very good pickup
    At $4 million a year, it's reasonable. It's not outrageous. So he's not as fast as Jahvid Best, he'll have the same role and just a wee bit more dimension to the offense.

Sadly today was also the retirement of Jeff Backus. Yeah, he had some detractors in this fickle town of ours- but not me. I always thought he did an admirable job. That left tackle position is the toughest one on the line and for him to handle the best defensive end on the opposing team, Backus was pretty damn good. Unfortunately he also played one of those positions that there's no glamor and the only time his name comes to play is when his QB gets dumped.

Let's see if Reilly Rieff is going to be able to step up to that position now [[fingers crossed).

I am getting some vibes from the remnants of the Tattered Turban: Stafford is playing chicken with Mayhew and Company, but not like everyone thinks.

Matt said, "Hey dickbreath, I restructured last year, told you what we needed and you didn't follow through."

"You started to listen when you kicked Titus to the curb, but I don't think you have really learned anything, yet."

"Get me a running game, shore up the defense, bring back Hanson and then I will know you've learned to listen."

"Draft well, and I will restructure."

So, the Turban sez ... "Expect to hear a Stafford restructure within the next few weeks."
    I'd be willing to bet one of my crystal balls that you're not that far off. Stafford holds the cards here and I'm willing to say that conversation happened already to a certain degree, gnome.

And let's get that turban of yours glammed up for the new year. We're gonna need its prowess in picking the 2013 record lest smogboy beats it out of us. Frickin' taskmaster...

We have now lost 3 starting O lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    We have now lost 3 starting O lineman.
    If you ask some people, that's not a bad thing.

The way I see things shaking down is:

Reiff at LT [[groomed for that spot), Sims at LG [[solid) Raiola at C [[okay), and Fox, Hilliard and Nagy somehow mixing it all up on the right side.

Talent wise- maybe average but what scares a brown torpedo out of me is their lack of time together. That's going to hurt. Even as weak of an O-line as we've had before, the one thing that helped them especially during the pass defense was a cohesiveness from playing together; they could anticipate and cover for one another. This new bunch? I dunno... I just dunno.

It's going to take time.

Delmas is whining the Lions aren't showing him enough love.

Love?

I like the guy, but love? please.

WAY too much love IMO. Way too much!

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...igns_two-.html
    Don't get me wrong, but unless he's going to have some titanium bionic knees guaranteed to last more than a season, I see this as too risky.

The Lions are the only team in the NFL goofy enough to pay a 42 year old kicker 3 million a year under the salary cap system. Nothing against Jason, it's just not a very smart strategic move. Any other team would have cut their losses ages ago.

Quinn, delmas and Houston is a much better group of ball hawkers than at any time in recent memory. The D backfield has been a weak spot since Lem Barney retired. If delmas can have faith in Quinn, maybe he won't get caught out of position as often. Delmas has that Davey Crockett mentality, that if he doesn't do it it ain't getting done.

That comes from not trusting the abilities of your teammates.

the O line ... Well, kids, we got out wish. We done blowed up the oline. We will now discover how steady Backus was, how reliable, how dependable. I see Reiff as a much better athlete than Jeff but still not a road grader.

Maybe we can convince Goddell to change the rules and allow 7 on 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    The Lions are the only team in the NFL goofy enough to pay a 42 year old kicker 3 million a year under the salary cap system. Nothing against Jason, it's just not a very smart strategic move. Any other team would have cut their losses ages ago.
    ???? Hanson has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise worthless franchise. How do you see the lions "cutting their losses" by getting rid of a Hall of Famer who is accurate and steady?

???? Hanson has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise worthless franchise. How do you see the lions "cutting their losses" by getting rid of a Hall of Famer who is accurate and steady?
    The cap is what he is referring to

Now that we have re-signed the CB and have 2 solid guys at safety I think its time to pick another CB in the 1st round.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast