Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Would you prefer a Voodoo hex as a rationale? The Curse of Bobby Layne? The SOL explanation is shorthand for what has become the M.O. For our team. For some reason they make the impossible not just possible, but probable. To think we are fans of impossible probability, that we know that at any moment long-dead inca warriors could match into Ford Field in a naked conga line singing "Inky-Dinky-Doo" and block a field goal with imaginary flaming arrows...yet we watch in horror and amazement as we see new impossibilities made real.
    I don't want shorthand. I'd prefer some sort of explanation if I could get one.

I'm not offering up anything as to an explanation other than our team is inept. Not just once but on a regular basis. There is no logical reason for why this team embraces defeat the way they do. Whether we had the greatest running back of all time or the best wide receiver in the league at the moment- we just seem to get over that hump. There is no logic to this team's losses- even that stupid SOL theory doesn't fly.

Given opportunities we just don't cash in. Is there a curse? Is there voodoo?

I'm not one to believe in curses, voodoo or sh!t like that. I see reality happening in front of me. No need to explain it away or justify our misfortune; that's just placing blame on something to appease our anger.

I'd like to place it solely on this team as a whole. It's not one player. It's not one coach or coordinator. We're just not capable of winning one when we need to- simple as that.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-22-13 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlebobb View Post
    Maybe I'm really in the minority of in fact a lone wolf here. And I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the rabid football fans. But I just don't get the annual adoration of the Detroit Lions. I enjoy all the sports played here and nearby. But having lived here all my life, I question what they've [[Lions) ever given our community. I cheer for the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons not only because I like their sports, but because of their past successes I want them to do well in order to recapture those great feelings we've all shared when they've won. But in the case of the Detroit Lions, there are varying scripts each year. But the end result is always the same.
    The adoration of this team starts with the fact they are the DETROIT Lions. They're our NFL franchise- like them or not. If you're a true football fan- you cheer for your hometown team regardless of how they play. You cheer for your own. As a fan you want your team to win regardless of how many revolutions they take around the drainpipe and how many times they stomp on your heart. They're OUR team... dagnabbit.

If they keep finding a way to lose, they need a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I don't want shorthand. I'd prefer some sort of explanation if I could get one.

I'm not offering up anything as to an explanation other than our team is inept. Not just once but on a regular basis. There is no logical reason for why this team embraces defeat the way they do. Whether we had the greatest running back of all time or the best wide receiver in the league at the moment- we just seem to get over that hump. There is no logic to this team's losses- even that stupid SOL theory doesn't fly.

Given opportunities we just don't cash in. Is there a curse? Is there voodoo?

I'm not one to believe in curses, voodoo or sh!t like that. I see reality happening in front of me. No need to explain it away or justify our misfortune; that's just placing blame on something to appease our anger.

I'd like to place it solely on this team as a whole. It's not one player. It's not one coach or coordinator. We're just not capable of winning one when we need to- simple as that.
    You know, the New England Patriots back in the Jim Plunkett days were probably one of the top teams in the league with regards to raw talent, but never seemed to be able to put it together when it counted. The Patriots finally grew out of that and have been winning for a while.

Never totally abandon hope, the spirit of Buddy Parker, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, and Leon hart is there somewhere.

I would believe anything because anything can happen. This stuff is not funny. Stafford played like a fifth rounder. Bush was ungood. Argh

The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference. Apathy.

I can't wait to hear what Pat Caputo of 97.1 the ticket has to say about his GREAT quarterback Matt Stafford after this debacle. This guy defends Stafford to the end saying he's a great QB. Granted, it's not all on Stafford, but he has to take the majority of the blame throwing 12 picks in his last 5 games. Pittsburgh did the Lions a favor beating GB, and they couldn't capitalize by beating the lowly Giants with the possibility of Chicago losing later tonight, the table was set. Fire the whole coaching staff and get some new blood in here.

GUSHI Guest

We need a new coach, the entire staff has to go[[including the GM). How about Bill Cower or Tony Dungy, Chucky anyone. The ENTIRE staff has to go, so much talent and so much disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You know, the New England Patriots back in the Jim Plunkett days were probably one of the top teams in the league with regards to raw talent, but never seemed to be able to put it together when it counted. The Patriots finally grew out of that and have been winning for a while.

Never totally abandon hope, the spirit of Buddy Parker, Bobby Layne, Doak Walker, and Leon hart is there somewhere.
    Thanks for offering up SOME measure of hope for this team.

This sort of play by the talent we have is just unacceptable. They're high end draft picks being paid millions of dollars and they need to perform like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I can't wait to hear what Pat Caputo of 97.1 the ticket has to say about his GREAT quarterback Matt Stafford after this debacle. This guy defends Stafford to the end saying he's a great QB. Granted, it's not all on Stafford, but he has to take the majority of the blame throwing 12 picks in his last 5 games. Pittsburgh did the Lions a favor beating GB, and they couldn't capitalize by beating the lowly Giants with the possibility of Chicago losing later tonight, the table was set. Fire the whole coaching staff and get some new blood in here.
    I'm curious though- out of those twelve picks, how many of those went through his receivers' hands or were tipped by the receivers into the happy arms of the defenders? I'm not at all against blaming some of those picks on Stafford but I'm not going to be blinded by the sheer number either. Let's pin the ones where he misread the schemed and placed it right into the defender's gut as to being his fault.

The opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference. Apathy.
    quoting from Shantaram[[question mark just broke on this keyboard)

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    We need a new coach, the entire staff has to go[[including the GM). How about Bill Cower or Tony Dungy, Chucky anyone. The ENTIRE staff has to go, so much talent and so much disappointment.
    How much money are we going to have to pay these guys to get off of their comfy couches to come coach here? They got it made already. If you were Cowher or Dungy- would you do it? I think the more logical and sensible choice would be Lovie Smith- but again, who is going to be that hungry to come here? Whoever comes into that position needs to command instant respect come Day One but those guys are few and far in between.

GUSHI Guest

All 3 guys mentioned would command instant respect. If you have to over pay, you over pay, Illtch has no problem doing it. Dungy is from Michigan. The Ford always get a pass in this state, and that bullshit. Something needs to be done. They can't win one gave to save there asses. Bring another team to Detroit, How about a CFL team, Lions are wack, The Fords are Wack,

GUSHI Guest

Reggie can't hang on to the ball. Calvin can't catch the ball. Matthew can't complete the ball to any one besides the other teams defense.

While I agree, I still wonder. Won't the same people who hired Schwartz hire the next group of coaches? Why would they make a better decision now than they made then? If WCF has any say in the matter, why will it be different than the last ten?

I have moved out the "still a fan despite everything" mode into the "you now have to show me why I should be a fan" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    While I agree, I still wonder. Won't the same people who hired Schwartz hire the next group of coaches? Why would they make a better decision now than they made then? If WCF has any say in the matter, why will it be different than the last ten?

I have moved out the "still a fan despite everything" mode into the "you now have to show me why I should be a fan" mode.
    I'm as loyal of a fan as anyone here but tonight's game turned my gut. The playoffs were so tantalizing close even a few weeks ago. And as we approached closer to the edge, we lost it. We had our our destiny in our hands and let it slip through. It was literally the point where we could've dictated everything within the division- to we could still win with a little help- to eliminated from the playoff hunt now.

How sad and disappointing. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    How much money are we going to have to pay these guys to get off of their comfy couches to come coach here? They got it made already. If you were Cowher or Dungy- would you do it? I think the more logical and sensible choice would be Lovie Smith- but again, who is going to be that hungry to come here? Whoever comes into that position needs to command instant respect come Day One but those guys are few and far in between.
    They brought this point up last week on the radio. Tony Dungy, even being a Detroit fan is now a commentator earning a decent wage as a commentator now. Bill Cowher has some children in college. Why would any of these folks give up a pretty cushy position of maybe having to work a few hours a week to the hundreds of hours that a professional sports coach has to deal with? I won't profess to know what an NFL coach goes through in preparation but I'm sure it can't be easy.

Those guys haven't coached in years. They're done coaching. Might as well ask for John Madden and Vince Lombardi, too. I bet Ford keeps the Schwartz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    quoting from Shantaram[[question mark just broke on this keyboard)
    No, John, I have no idea what -or who- a Shantaram might be. I am sorry for the loss of your question mark key; for a questioner like yourself, the loss of that key must be a true hardship. Deepest sympathies.

oh, right now, the Eagles have their talons on the Bears neck: 33-3.

meqning that if our lions could have won just one ofthe last 6 losses, we could be in control of first place.

No, John, I have no idea what -or who- a Shantaram might be. I am sorry for the loss of your question mark key; for a questioner like yourself, the loss of that key must be a true hardship. Deepest sympathies.

oh, right now, the Eagles have their talons on the Bears neck: 33-3.

meqning that if our lions could have won just one ofthe last 6 losses, we could be in control of first place.

Make that 54-11. Destroying the Bears. All the Lions had to do was beat the lowly Giants.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-22-13 at 11:19 PM.

thank

god

they're

done

my forehead can't take the thumping of my fist anymore.

They're the A.D.D. Gang. They are great talents, beautiful to behold, make magnificent plays and then...

...someone makes a boneheaded play and all that was gained is lost. It's as if they can only focus on four or five plays in a row and then...

Their minds fly off in another place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    thank

god

they're

done

my forehead can't take the thumping of my fist anymore.

They're the A.D.D. Gang. They are great talents, beautiful to behold, make magnificent plays and then...

...someone makes a boneheaded play and all that was gained is lost. It's as if they can only focus on four or five plays in a row and then...

Their minds fly off in another place.
    Easy easy easy there. No need for self immolation here now. I've been following this team for as long as eternity too and while I get fed up, frustrated and somehow STILL want these guys to climb over the mediocrity hump- it's not worth beating yourself up for.

Cheer. Cheer your collective asses off people. This is our [[insert groan here) Detroit Lions. They're entertainment [[in the broadest sense of the term) and while every Sunday night some of us might think it's more important than things like the Detroit bankruptcy, world hunger, global warming, and a whole host of other modern day plagues... this team [[and every other sports team out there) just isn't worth that much investment. Some yes, because they're our team and true fans will always go ape-sh!t nuts for their teams but seriously- let's try to keep this in perspective.

Besides I'm curious as to who is going to be the final DetroitYes Pre-Season Picks champ this year.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    And for those of you that want to see what the so-called experts have chosen, I’ve culled a few of them so far:

Dave Birkett [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Carlos Monarrez [[Detroit Free Press): 7-9
    Jeff Seidel [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Drew Sharp [[Detroit Free Press): 8-8
    Justin Rogers [[MLive.com): 7-9
    Kyle Meinke [[MLive.com): 7-9
    Jeff Risdon [[Bleacherreport.com): 7-9
    Ty Schalter [[Bleacherreport.com): 9-7
    Joe Flannelly [[footballnation.com): 9-7
    Thomas Emerick [[rantsports.com): 6-10
    Dan Leach [[Detroit.cbslocal.com): 11-5
    From way back in September, smogboy posted these so-called professionals and wouldn't ya know it? Most of them are pretty darn close.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    So as it stands, the DetroitYes Mighty Lions Pre-season predictions:

Gnome: 9-7
    GOAT: 7-9
    rb336: 11-5
    Downriviera: 10-6
    firstandten: 7-9
    thruster315: 9-7
    7miledog: 12-4
    jefferson78: 6-10
    Gushi1124: 11-5
    smogboy: 8-8
    From September 7th, 2013. Let's see how the team finishes next week in Minnesota. It's either gonna be GOAT and firstandten's 7-9 pick or smogboy and his 8-8 pick.

Sadly my 9-7 pick went out the window and would've probably been good enough to get this accursed bunch into the playoffs [[rassa frassa....!)
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-23-13 at 01:20 AM.

That's it folks LIONS SUCKS! and lost their 4th straight game. They are out of the playoffs. It's was nothing but Matthew Stafford/ Calvin Johnson show. FIRE JIM SCHARTZ! and take Stafford with you.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast