Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Dang, dang, dang.

when the Lions win everything is better. The sky is clearer, the bride prettier, and food tastes betterer; but when a loss follows another and another in a cascade of disappointments the natural result is to look for someone to blame.

We look for heads to roll, we look for effigies to set alight, we look for reason in what seems the unreasonable. How can our lions only need a single win out of six loses to win the Division and still not win?

who to blame? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror and blame myself for caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I'm curious though- out of those twelve picks, how many of those went through his receivers' hands or were tipped by the receivers into the happy arms of the defenders? I'm not at all against blaming some of those picks on Stafford but I'm not going to be blinded by the sheer number either. Let's pin the ones where he misread the schemed and placed it right into the defender's gut as to being his fault.
    This game shows why Schwartz is a bad coach.

You have a seven point lead against team whose offense is doing nothing along with your QB having "confidence" issues. A coach who sees the big picture would have run the ball tree times and, if that did not get a first down, punt it back. That way, Stafford's fragile mental state would still have the TD pass and two point pass to dwell on. To compound the problem, Schwartz, after letting Stafford wrongly be aggressive with a seven point lead, decides to go conservative with 28 seconds on the clock, thus kind of telling Stafford "you suck.

Stafford has definitely regressed but feel some of that is on Schwartz. The QB position has a huge mental component.

The diatribe with the fans will end the Schwartz era. The Ford family don't like that.

Too bad WCF is so fond of skill position oriented offenses.

The day the Lions dedicate themselves to a power running offense that relies on a strong armed QB beating safeties cheating up combined with a defense that hurts an offense is the day SOL is retired.

The Lions have a foundation to do this. But knowing WCF, I doubt that will happen.

He ought to watch how the SF49'ers win games.

From September 7th, 2013. Let's see how the team finishes next week in Minnesota. It's either gonna be GOAT and firstandten's 7-9 pick or smogboy and his 8-8 pick.

Sadly my 9-7 pick went out the window and would've probably been good enough to get this accursed bunch into the playoffs [[rassa frassa....!)
    I believe I predicted anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. That was based on my incorrect view that the OL would regress. However, the shocking regression of Stafford's confidence seems to have offset the OL doing better than I expected.

I believe the Lions have enough talent to be a playoff team and win at least two games in the playoffs. The fact that they are sitting at home I put on the coaching staff. I hope that Schwartz is let go after this year. I believe the team is a mirror image of the coach. That means they play undisciplined ball at times, they have a habit of shoddy tackling. They act like they are better than they really are. The coach while holding Bush accountable for his fumbles [[as he should) won't hold Stafford accountable for his missed and inaccurate throws. Shaun Hill is a good enough backup to allow you to sit Stafford for a few possessions or a game to let him get his head together. The play calling is pretty unimaginative and the defense doesn't know how to get off the field when they have a team in third and long. I have read that Schwartz doesn't get along with some of the other front office personnel, doesn't get along with Mayhew, acts snug like he is the smartest guy in the room. Its ok to do that if you have a reason to be like that. However when you get outcoached by former college coaches, [[Harbaugh last year and Chip Kelly this year) then he needs to check himself. My opinion is that he has taken the Lions as far as he can take them and we just should cut bait with this guy.

Schwartz should be gone along with Linehan and Mayhew. If anyone says Mayhew have a good draft well Xanders was brought in and look! We actually had decent picks in the later rounds. So why pay Mayhew when Xanders is doing the job?

For that ass to swear at me and other fans just goes to show he is clueless. They needed a spark on a potential playoff game? We have been there all year and YOU gave us crap! We yelled ourselves hoarse to suppport the team and you let us down time and again with your conservative and weak play calls. YOU left us befuddled when you couldn't manage the play clock and called timeouts at the most inopportune times.

Schwartz wants support? I will help support him by carrying his bags to the plane.

For 3 games I sat with a group of people and we were calling the offensive plays and got over 35% right. If WE could do that imagine what the other team could do? Last week's game they ran the ball on EVERY single first down but two! Talk about predictable!

Sorry but if this ass couldn't motivate his team and not have them ready for the game [[yet again) then what does he want me, a loyal fan, to do? I'm tired of spending my money and time for an organization that could care less about me.

I did that dumb survey and they asked. Do I get value for my purchase. I replied. No, I would get value if you put a productive team on the field.

but I digress. Why bother...he will be back next year and it will be the same yet again. And as a psycho, I will watch and cheer again. Why? Who else do I have to cheer for? I can't cheer for another city! That to me is being a traitor.

It is sad because Lovie Smith could be a good guy to go after or the soon to be fired Mike Tomlin.

BTW: People have to shut up about bringing in Gruden or Parcells. They are not coming back and shouldn't. They have been out of the game for far too long.

/end rant.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Schwartz should be gone along with Linehan and Mayhew. If anyone says Mayhew have a good draft well Xanders was brought in and look! We actually had decent picks in the later rounds. So why pay Mayhew when Xanders is doing the job?

For that ass to swear at me and other fans just goes to show he is clueless. They needed a spark on a potential playoff game? We have been there all year and YOU gave us crap! We yelled ourselves hoarse to suppport the team and you let us down time and again with your conservative and weak play calls. YOU left us befuddled when you couldn't manage the play clock and called timeouts at the most inopportune times.

Schwartz wants support? I will help support him by carrying his bags to the plane.

For 3 games I sat with a group of people and we were calling the offensive plays and got over 35% right. If WE could do that imagine what the other team could do? Last week's game they ran the ball on EVERY single first down but two! Talk about predictable!

Sorry but if this ass couldn't motivate his team and not have them ready for the game [[yet again) then what does he want me, a loyal fan, to do? I'm tired of spending my money and time for an organization that could care less about me.

I did that dumb survey and they asked. Do I get value for my purchase. I replied. No, I would get value if you put a productive team on the field.

but I digress. Why bother...he will be back next year and it will be the same yet again. And as a psycho, I will watch and cheer again. Why? Who else do I have to cheer for? I can't cheer for another city! That to me is being a traitor.

It is sad because Lovie Smith could be a good guy to go after or the soon to be fired Mike Tomlin.

BTW: People have to shut up about bringing in Gruden or Parcells. They are not coming back and shouldn't. They have been out of the game for far too long.

/end rant.
    Damn good rant GOAT. Spot on with so many good points here. You must've had your Wheaties this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I believe I predicted anywhere from 6 to 9 wins. That was based on my incorrect view that the OL would regress. However, the shocking regression of Stafford's confidence seems to have offset the OL doing better than I expected.
    Seeing as how you're a semi-regular here with some solid points, why don'tcha wait until the resident commissioner here, smogboy sets up the 2014 Detroit Lions thread and you can get in on the DetroitYes prediction pool. Not that any of us win anything beyond bragging points but you can test your wisdom against the likes of gnome's Miss Cleo turban or the mighty powers of my bunion.

It just might end up being the most fun you can have with this team at times. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Dang, dang, dang.

when the Lions win everything is better. The sky is clearer, the bride prettier, and food tastes betterer; but when a loss follows another and another in a cascade of disappointments the natural result is to look for someone to blame.

We look for heads to roll, we look for effigies to set alight, we look for reason in what seems the unreasonable. How can our lions only need a single win out of six loses to win the Division and still not win?

who to blame? Maybe it's time to look in the mirror and blame myself for caring.
    It's okay brother gnome. I'll take the hit for ya. We all cared far too much for this sad sack team we call the Lions. There there... spring training for the Tigers isn't far off now. You'll recover. You can put your turban away for the Spring and bust it out again next season.

Seeing as how you're a semi-regular here with some solid points, why don'tcha wait until the resident commissioner here, smogboy sets up the 2014 Detroit Lions thread and you can get in on the DetroitYes prediction pool. Not that any of us win anything beyond bragging points but you can test your wisdom against the likes of gnome's Miss Cleo turban or the mighty powers of my bunion.

It just might end up being the most fun you can have with this team at times. :-/
    I will do that.

It is tough being a Lions fan. In the 54 years of life they have won a single play off game.

My favorite team that, interestingly, had what this team needs - a solid back 4 - was the 1970 Lions.

What makes you think Tomlin is going to get fired? Pittsburgh started out 0-4 and now they have the same record as the Lions and are still mathematically alive for the playoffs.

Fire jim schartz now and take matthew stafford with you!!!!

when should an announcement be expected regarding the fate of Schwarz? Next Monday? what about the other coaching personnel? offensive, defensive coordinators, etc.?

This quote from Jeff Seidel of the Free Press pretty well sums up my and other's long-running assessment of Schwartz. He cannot keep focus and that trait has spread to the A.D.D. Lions. There have been similar events, can't pull them out of my hat right now, where he lost his focus. The embarrassing outburst where he chased after SF coach Jim Harbaugh following another blown game, albeit not during a game, just underlined that he was not emotionally stable enough to handle an NFL team. Too bad because he is otherwise very likable.

Late in the fourth quarter, the Lions were playing for overtime against the New York Giants, instead of trying to go for the win in the last 23 seconds.

And the fans were booing.

The decibel level was spiking, and the pressure was building, and Schwartz lost it. He lost his cool. On a day when the Lions lost any chance of the playoffs. On a day when Schwartz’s future might have been sealed.

Instead of coaching his team at that moment, instead of going over strategies, instead of talking to his assistant coaches, instead of doing something to actually help his team win, instead of doing something that really great coaches do — like anything but this — Schwartz started screaming toward the fans.

If a team is a reflection of a coach, this moment explained everything. It was totally undisciplined. And he let his emotion take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when should an announcement be expected regarding the fate of Schwarz? Next Monday? what about the other coaching personnel? offensive, defensive coordinators, etc.?
    Who knows with William Clay. I'm sure he will decide his fate and not Bill Jr.

Wow... According to Mlive, Schwartz is owed $12 million on his contract making him one of the higher paid coaches in the NFL. Lions could buy a lot of cans of much-needed Stickum for that. Either we're stuck with him or he walks out smiling. Win-win for him.

Another Homer Simpson moment after the Giants got a pick six "Doh."
    This was another classic Detroit Lions Ground Hog Day game. We've seen it all before [[with many variations).
    Besides death and taxes, the only thing you can trust in life is that the Lions will let you down. "Doh."

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Who knows with William Clay. I'm sure he will decide his fate and not Bill Jr.

@Thruster315. I was feeling good. I didn't get angry there as the 4th quarter starteed we were laughing at how inept the Lions became. It was much better than screaming and getting angry. I told myself after the Cinci loss that I wouldn't get so worked up any more. And it works!

@ Cinci Kid, Mathematically they are in but it doesn't look good. With the whole steping on the field, personnel issues a very up and down season he could very well be gone. Remember the Steelers demand excellence whereas the Lions demand that you are likeable.

Firings [[the few) at this sad organization usually happen the 2nd week after the end of regular season or 2 weeks after the SB.

Any bets that Schwartz stays? Considering that contract? He will still be around. Now imagine that the Harbough's don't get paid that dough and look at those coaches. Now compare with the mentally challenged Schwartz?

Lets have some fun. Now that the Lion's are done, how bout we adopt a team for us to cheer on for the playoffs. All the regulars here, those who made pre-season predictions, should nominate a team. Give us your reason for the pick. We'll all cheer on the team with the most nominations, and we can keep the discussion going here on our adopted team, along with continuing to lament our home team. Gotta wait till the end of the season to see whose in. If Dallas squeaks in, nobody pick them ok. lol
    Last edited by Downriviera; December-23-13 at 07:13 PM.

This should pretty much be the last coffin nail.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...season-failure

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Lets have some fun. Now that the Lion's are done, how bout we adopt a team for us to cheer on for the playoffs. All the regulars here, those who made pre-season predictions, should nominate a team. Give us your reason for the pick. We'll all cheer on the team with the most nominations, and we can keep the discussion going here on our adopted team, along with continuing to lament our home team. Gotta wait till the end of the season to see whose in. If Dallas squeaks in, nobody pick them ok. lol

Great idea but I agree. Let's wait until the very last game of the Lions' season is done with before we adopt a new team to cheer for. Besides we still need to celebrate the winner of the pre-season picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I will do that.

It is tough being a Lions fan. In the 54 years of life they have won a single play off game.

My favorite team that, interestingly, had what this team needs - a solid back 4 - was the 1970 Lions.

Please linger around. You've posted some very sharp views of this team without the emotional weight that some folks have tossed around. You bring up good points and have smart opinions. We'd love to have you be a regular here. Keep an eye out for the 2014 Detroit Lions thread after this season's done with and get ready to discuss the Draft, predictions and other things related to this darling team that we love to follow.

If we beat the Vikings, that means we're 5 -1 in the division without a playoff spot....how often has that happened in the NFL ? That also means we were 2 - 7 against the rest of the league.....and headed nowhere even if we made the playoffs.

Our coach's outburst towards the fans last Sunday played right into the constant criticism by others that we are an undisciplined and poorly coached team. I also count 5 games in two years that he influenced by making poor decisions. Time to go !

One division title in 20 years in a 4 team division....YIKES ! Linger on that thought for a while.

Ford should be gone. Nothing will change until that happens...he's 88, so it won't be much more suffering

Stadium will continue to sell out. If 0-16 didn't empty out Ford Field, nothing will

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Ford should be gone. Nothing will change until that happens...he's 88, so it won't be much more suffering

Stadium will continue to sell out. If 0-16 didn't empty out Ford Field, nothing will
    By no means am I defending old man Ford but I've accepted the situation with his ownership. I think he genuinely cares and wants to win but just doesn't know how. It's not like he's a cheap bastard; he spends up to the cap and gives his team a ton of the creature comforts. He's got a grade A stadium, a top flight practice facility, and seems to treat his team well.

Given the choice between a William Clay Ford or a meddling Jerry Jones- I'd still settle for our old man Ford any day. As bad as his record has been, he's never come across as some megalomaniac that has to have his hands in every player & coach move.

I know it might be tough to hear but we could do a helluva lot worse for an owner.

And the 0-16 season's stalwart attendance still speaks volumes as to the loyal fan base. I'm never one to knock it because I'm one of those dedicated loyal folks. If I really didn't care, I wouldn't be posting here. I don't understand the people that say they don't care and yet spend the time and effort to let us know. If you really and truly hated this team, why waste the time posting?

Our devotion even after 0-16 speaks to how dedicated our fans are and how impactful the NFL is in our community. We might be proud of 0-16 but dammit all, they're OUR Lions.

Amen Brother Thruster. Great post.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast