Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default WTF are they thinking?? Detroit City Council refuses to consider cuts today

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...gency-manager/

Ok, I'm not here to call the council names or jump conclusions. So I'm open to hearing informed, reasonable explanations on how the consequences of avoiding cuts is advantageous to making them.

Alternatives:

1. Decrease outgo through spending cuts.

2. Increase income through tax increases.

3. Wait for the Obamessiah to carpet bomb clowncil with million dollar bills.

I have said it before. I don't think the citizens will recognize how real this is until they experience a payless payday.

I think that the citizens have recognized it already. All it would take is a journey from one side of Detroit to the next, with the exception of Downtown and the more "prosperous" neighborhoods.

Our city is less than 1 million people. Unfortunately, unless there is a increase back up to that number, we will have to deal with that reality for the next ten years.

Cuts are coming. There is no stopping them. The only reason the city council has been delaying them is because they can't seem to handle the criticism that they are getting lately.

An increase in taxes wouldn't help much with the decrease in population. An increase in the cost of city services would also not help either. And the city is still in need of an audit, especially after the Kilpatrick Administration.

This city can't wait for a blessing to come out of the sky that will never come. Action must be taken. The local elections is an opportunity to purify the city of its governmental corruption. However, it is likely, that an emergency manager may be appointed to the city before the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I think that the citizens have recognized it already. All it would take is a journey from one side of Detroit to the next, with the exception of Downtown and the more "prosperous" neighborhoods.

Our city is less than 1 million people. Unfortunately, unless there is a increase back up to that number, we will have to deal with that reality for the next ten years.

Cuts are coming. There is no stopping them. The only reason the city council has been delaying them is because they can't seem to handle the criticism that they are getting lately.

An increase in taxes wouldn't help much with the decrease in population. An increase in the cost of city services would also not help either. And the city is still in need of an audit, especially after the Kilpatrick Administration.

This city can't wait for a blessing to come out of the sky that will never come. Action must be taken. The local elections is an opportunity to purify the city of its governmental corruption. However, it is likely, that an emergency manager may be appointed to the city before the elections.
    You have to be careful with a tax increase, you might be shooting yourself in the foot. Unless you live in one of the more affluent areas, [[read Midtown), an increase might push a lot of already disgruntled residents out.

Honestly, what can be done?

The state is already planning for a emergency manager to take over the city of Detroit. I'm definitely not a fan of that idea, but now we don't have a say anymore.

Those that haven't left Detroit, will now have to face an EM before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...gency-manager/

Ok, I'm not here to call the council names or jump conclusions. So I'm open to hearing informed, reasonable explanations on how the consequences of avoiding cuts is advantageous to making them.
    All I read in that article is that Pugh would not allow a vote to be taken. I'd prefer to see what other council members thought before painting the entire council as being in the way here.

Although some council members wanted to make the cuts sooner to reduces the chances of Gov. Rick Snyder appointing an emergency manager, Council President Charles Pugh wanted none of it and said council shouldn’t vote until next week.

So the only end to this is to avoid the appointment of an EM.

What a bunch of Narcissist. I'm done with this town.

At least two council members wanted to debate the issues today – Gary Brown and Ken Cockrel.

Thanks for the added detail, neavling. Were the other 7 members ambivalent, or against it?

MLive paints different picture it doesn't even seem that Bing was asking for a vote today.

Mayor Dave Bing made a surprise appearance at today's City Council meeting, asking for quick movement on restructuring measures including several contracts for consulting firms.

"We understand that we're in an emergency, however we have to do our due diligence publicly... We respect the urgency. We understand that. So we will, to the best of our ability, work with you to maintain that urgency."

The measures being considered include a $1.8 million contract with New York firm Miller Buckfire & Co. for financial evaluation; a $1.2 million contract increase for Ernst & Young for more consulting on financial restructuring; a $167,000 increase for Milliman Inc. for pension and health care cost evaluation; and a $4.2 million contract, half of which the state would fund, for Conway MacKenzie Inc. to help with evaluating and negotiating cost savings and revenue generation.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default

They never really show you the whole list of proposed reductions so it is hard to say anything based on the two that were proposed.

Did Mr. Bing walk into CC and say here is a list decide on it now.
    If so the CC is doing the right thing.

Did Mr. Bing walk in CC and say ,this is the list I gave you two month's ago and time is up decide now.

Which one is it?

Just like the firing of Crittidon what is going on? Dump her or loose your security team? About face from CC on that one, is the security team dismissal on the list?

Why do they not want you to see the entire list?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    MLive paints different picture it doesn't even seem that Bing was asking for a vote today.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._river_default
    Seems like typical Bing MO. Shove it in front of council without time for due diligence. I'm not defending council, but when they stand up to Bing and ask questions, that's what I want them to do. Bing should not be given carte blanche for everything he wishes without transparency. The guy is a freaking train wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Seems like typical Bing MO. Shove it in front of council without time for due diligence. I'm not defending council, but when they stand up to Bing and ask questions, that's what I want them to do. Bing should not be given carte blanche for everything he wishes without transparency. The guy is a freaking train wreck.
    That is the business person in him,here, I am the boss read this and sign it without question ,it has to be tough to switch from calling the shots to having to play politics ,I guess some can adapt others cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'd have to agree. I don't want a rubber-stamp city council. That's just as worse as a Emergency Manager.

Worse case scenario, with not enough police, Wayne county would have to take over the affairs of policing, like Highland Park. The last time I looked around Highland Park, I could only think that this would be what Detroit would become, once the Emergency Manager is installed.

The Detroit News is even agreeing that an [[EM) Emergency Manager be installed in Detroit, and has already started the process in doing so.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ng-out-Detroit

The game is over. The city is just delaying the ending.