Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    I said nothing of labor costs. I knew we were worlds apart. However, I think we agree that a Toyota or Honda plant in the US is better than importing vehicles from a GM or Ford plant outside of the US?
    What makes you think that? Its not just about the workers in the plant. It is also about the engineers, parts [[and artificial markups the transplants use to send profits home) and where the profits go and are spent. All these combine to economic impact. Which is the bigger impact? Not sure plant workers are that.

Further, does it matter that GM imports vehicles from Europe and plans to import from Asia, whereas Ford non-US is only on this continent? Surely we don't suffer as much when a car is built in Canada versus Europe.

That said, my personal choice is a vehicle made in the US, engineered in the US, more parts from the US and profits in the US. Even better is when those are Michigan.
    Last edited by East Detroit; July-01-09 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Everyone except the Sierra Club.

The Obama answer to energy independence and job creation-
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=avLVPogS6lh0

that pretty much lists -- conocophillips and their mouthpiece, Wood MacKenzie.

and this is what they said:

"The same amount of gasoline that would have $1 in carbon costs imposed if it were domestic would have 10 cents less added if it were imported, according to energy consulting firm Wood Mackenzie in Houston"

so it would cost 10c less for the imports in the carbon tax. now, add the cost of shipping that product. oops -- you just bumped it over that 10c. the oil companies aren't stupid, they just think [[or hope) we are

ccbatson Guest

That is the point, we will not escape the financial consequences of this tax whether foreign or domestic.

However, if you, as a consumer, have a choice to buy the same gas for 10 cents less what are you going to choose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2