Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No excuse to come to the eastside now!

For Detroit only shoppers your hardware/houseware needs will get a boost shortly. Ace Hardware[[the former Damman's) is leaving the Village in Grosse Pointe and moving across the DMZ to the old Lochmoor Chrysler dealership building on Mack Avenue in Detroit! Ace fills in a glaring hole between E. Outer Drive and Moross. Make a day of it and have lunch at Cleopatra or La Cina. And for the the more daring cross the DMZ and check out Village Food Market.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-07-13 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    For Detroit only shoppers your hardware/houseware needs will get a boost shortly. Ace Hardware[[the former Damman's) is leaving the Village in Grosse Pointe and moving across the DMZ to the old Lochmoor Chrysler dealership building on Mack Avenue in Detroit! Ace fills in a glaring hole between E. Outer Drive and Moross. Make a day of it and have lunch at Cleopatra or La Cina. And for the the more daring cross the DMZ and check out Village Food Market.
    Don't forget the Yorkshire Market!

I'd really like to know the story behind the move. They had an empty Borders to expand into in the Village... yet they move to the Detroit side of Mack. It must have been a heck of a deal.

I think the big question is will their GP shoppers follow them from the friendly, secure confines of "the Village" up to Mack Avenue.

A few stolen cars or broken window smash and grabs could kill their new location.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I think the big question is will their GP shoppers follow them from the friendly, secure confines of "the Village" up to Mack Avenue.

A few stolen cars or broken window smash and grabs could kill their new location.
    My concern as well. It's a great, convenient hardware store, with nice extended hours.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'd really like to know the story behind the move. They had an empty Borders to expand into in the Village... yet they move to the Detroit side of Mack. It must have been a heck of a deal.
    I spoke with the manager one night, and he alluded to the rehab center going in across the parking lot, and the fact that the lot isn't as accessible as it used to be.

Considering the repeated problems at the Walgreen's down the street... that is a legit question.

Another question I'd like to know the answer to is will GPF taxpayers subsidize the cost of policing the new location by having GPF cops respond to those calls when they come in?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I spoke with the manager one night, and he alluded to the rehab center going in across the parking lot, and the fact that the lot isn't as accessible as it used to be.
    It's not a rehab center, it's the Neighborhood Club. It's like a YMCA.

Its not a rehab center, its the Neighborhood club. It's like a YMCA.
    My mistake. I was told by he manager it was a rehab center.

Don't forget the Yorkshire Market!
    Yorkshire Market unfortunately is not quite the place is once was. Its more of a party store now. To bad they carried a bone in Sirloin when nobody else had one available.

Yorkshire Market unfortunately is not quite the place is once was. Its more of a party store now. To bad they carried a bone in Sirloin when nobody else had one available.
    That is sad to hear. I used to buy their Feta from time to time, and their rotisserie chicken. I know a year or two back, new owners took over.

Considering the repeated problems at the Walgreen's down the street... that is a legit question.

Another question I'd like to know the answer to is will GPF taxpayers subsidize the cost of policing the new location by having GPF cops respond to those calls when they come in?
    You are going to love this! Under an old grandfathered in rule the GP cops are allowed to police across Mack Avenue up to Harper if they so choose[[I found that over christmas). I think the Farms Cops will be keeping an eye on the building. I have not heard of any problems from the McDonald's right next door.

My mistake. I was told by he manager it was a rehab center.
    One of you might've misheard...it's a Re-Fab gym...heh.

It went up in a flash, so perhaps it was a Pre-Fab, too.

Haven't seen anyone in the big-windowed corner...what we think is the pool area, but it IS well-lit.

I think a few are waiting until they get drapes or blinds for the fishbowl before they join.

That might be a blessing.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-07-13 at 02:04 PM.

You can thank Beaumont for the move they keep denying it but they are taking over the whole block from Ace to the old Borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    One of you might've misheard...it's a Re-Fab clinic...heh.

Haven't seen anyone in the big-windowed corner...what we think is the pool area, but it IS well-lit.

I think a few are waiting until they get drapes or blinds for the fishbowl before they join.

Maybe he meant rehab like in injuries not alcohol or drugs. I got the impression the facility was owned by one of the major hospitals. All my info is 2nd hand, so who knows.

The big question is: Will ACE still have FREE popcorn with purchase!

You can thank Beaumont for the move they keep denying it but they are taking over the whole block from Ace to the old Borders.
    Ugh. I had heard that. With Henry Ford/cottage putting a Vein Center in on the Hill I shudder to think what Bone Suckers has planned for that block.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    One of you might've misheard...it's a Re-Fab gym...heh.

It's the pool on the corner. They just did an open house this weekend. Nice addition to the area. I think the GPAC's days are numbered though.

I doubt the ACE will have problems in excess of what they may already have. As recent threads have shown, that median on Mack is by no means a forcefield.

I certainly welcome the investment on this side of Mack.

The state of Yorkshire Market pisses me off, mostly because I'm within walking distance. New owners came in in December, apparently one of which was involved back when it was an actual market. So there may be hope for a return of some amenities, though I haven't seen any movement in that direction. I guess the bright side is that as far as party stores go, there isn't riffraff or ghetto glass, and the guys who work there are nice. You can also get 30 packs of Stroh's Light.

In addition to what OP posted, Bogartz is a nice restaurant/bar place on this side of the DMZ. They, however, bill themselves as being in GP, which bugs me a bit. Allemon's is also great for garden stuff, but pricy is an understatement.

City of Grosse Pointe has a zoning requirement that the 1st floor of all buildings on Kercheval in the Village must be retail. For instance, look at the Flagstar Bank on the corner of Kercheval and Cadieuz, with the bank on the 2nd floor and a Coldstone on the 1st floor. 1st floor offices can only be in the rear 40% or 40 feet of a building fronting on Kercheval.

C-2 - Central Business per zoning code
    90-297 permitted uses
    90-298 permitted uses after special approval
    Last edited by GPCharles; January-07-13 at 02:47 PM.

Just curious... Is the term DMZ yours or is it a commonly used term on that side of town. I find it both grimly humorous and somewhat fitting.

................um, DMZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ................um, DMZ?
    demilitarized zone

I've never heard of Alter Road being called the DMZ, but considering all of the shooting shenanigans we keep hearing about on the eastside, maybe it's appropriate.

Hype, not sure youwere jesting or not:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone

Also used in the computer world:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_[[computing)

City of Grosse Pointe has a zoning requirement that the 1st floor of all buildings on Kercheval in the Village must be retail. For instance, look at the Flagstar Bank on the corner of Kercheval and Cadieuz, with the bank on the 2nd floor and a Coldstone on the 1st floor. 1st floor offices can only be in the rear 40% or 40 feet of a building fronting on Kercheval.

C-2 - Central Business per zoning code
    90-297 permitted uses
    90-298 permitted uses after special approval
    I know all about the zoning laws. Tell that to the residents of Notre Dame, zoning laws were completely ignored to extend a parking lot. Beaumont gave the lion's share of the money for the neighborhood club and now is taking us for a ride with that "gift"!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; January-07-13 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast