Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Specialty Lumber Yards in Detroit?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of sourcing lumber to build a bed - my first, big woodworking project!

Now, I know I can go to a place like Home Depot to pick up some basic Fir lumber, but for the trim I'd like to get a hardwood like oak, maple, walnut, or mahogany...

Any lumber yards in Metro Detroit [[preferably within the Detroit city limits) you'd suggest that would carry this type of wood?

Thanks!

Public lumber 7 mile and I 75. Nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Public lumber 7 mile and I 75. Nothing else matters.
    I'll second this.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Hi All,

I'm in the process of sourcing lumber to build a bed - my first, big woodworking project!

Now, I know I can go to a place like Home Depot to pick up some basic Fir lumber, but for the trim I'd like to get a hardwood like oak, maple, walnut, or mahogany...

Any lumber yards in Metro Detroit [[preferably within the Detroit city limits) you'd suggest that would carry this type of wood?

Thanks!
    How deep do you want to get into it? [[not the bed, the project) Pubic is good. Armstrong's is very good, but they're a ways out. All American Plywood on John R, but they only want to sell to contractors, so you'll have to be creative. General Hardwood on McNichols. REMEMBER: Measure twice, cut once! Best of luck on your project!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-07-13 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    How deep do you want to get into it? [[not the bed, the project) Pubic is good. Armstrong's is very good, but they're a ways out. All American Plywood on John R, but they only want to sell to contractors, so you'll have to be creative. General Hardwood on McNichols. REMEMBER: Measure twice, cut once! Best of luck on your project!
    It's not going to be incredibly complex, I think -- basic platform bed made of fir, trimmed with some sort of hardwood. I have the measurements already "generally" established, but I'll be trimming them off as needed.

I'll go check out Public Lumber soon -- looks like a great place. Thanks much, all!

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    It's not going to be incredibly complex, I think -- basic platform bed made of fir, trimmed with some sort of hardwood. I have the measurements already "generally" established, but I'll be trimming them off as needed.

I'll go check out Public Lumber soon -- looks like a great place. Thanks much, all!
    While you're there, be sure to check out the "attic". Lots of interesting wood up there to give you ideas for future projects.

What kind of project do you have in mind Honky Tonk?

Public is great, we got some clear walnut planks there, perfect for my new fireplace mantel.

Moby, depending how creative and skilled you are, you might find something at architectural salvage at warren and grand river. http://www.aswdetroit.org/

you could make your headboard out of antique wainscoting, an old fireplace, an old railing or door.

A bed made from the bones of a Detroit mansion could give you a real conversation piece.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What kind of project do you have in mind Honky Tonk?
    LOL! That's what we, [[my woodworking friends) lovingly call the place. I forgot where I was!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Moby, depending how creative and skilled you are, you might find something at architectural salvage at warren and grand river. http://www.aswdetroit.org/

you could make your headboard out of antique wainscoting, an old fireplace, an old railing or door.

A bed made from the bones of a Detroit mansion could give you a real conversation piece.
    I absolutely was thinking the same thing, Gnome. I think for the trim I'm going to go with some basic boards -- I'm not yet skilled enough to be able to custom cut some of the leftovers from ASW, but making a customized headboard would be a fantastic idea. Thanks!

LOL! That's what we, [[my woodworking friends) lovingly call the place. I forgot where I was!

I get you, if it wasnt for worldplay, the word would be a sorry place.

it's sad there are so few choices now. I used to deal with Lumber and Millworks and Biester Lumber for years. Armstrong Millworks in Highland is still my go to for my larger jobs. Public has most of what you need. Not as much inventory in this tough economy.

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    it's sad there are so few choices now. I used to deal with Lumber and Millworks and Biester Lumber for years. Armstrong Millworks in Highland is still my go to for my larger jobs. Public has most of what you need. Not as much inventory in this tough economy.
    The last time I was in PUBLIC, they had revamped their showroom. The owner told me they had decided to stay in the area. Their inventory was a bit picked through compared to what it was years back.

Theres a mill/lumber yard on St Aubin about a block North of Mack. Only been in there once but I believe they carry specialties.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Theres a mill/lumber yard on St Aubin about a block North of Mack. Only been in there once but I believe they carry specialties.
    I've driven by there, and they've always been closed. I assumed permanently. Do they carry the run of the mill, [[ha-ha), plywoods and hardwoods?

I've driven by there, and they've always been closed. I assumed permanently. Do they carry the run of the mill, [[ha-ha), plywoods and hardwoods?
    You need to call ahead; 313-962-6448, Brooks Lumber / Ace Hardware at 2200 Trumbull.

You need to call ahead; 313-962-6448, Brooks Lumber / Ace Hardware at 2200 Trumbull.
    Does Brooks own the mill/lumber yard on St Aubin about a block North of Mack? I do go to Brooks regularly.

Moby, you could also try ReClaim Detroit. http://reclaimingdetroit.org/

on their Facebook page they were asking for projects for their carpenters to tackle. If you don't know their work, check out that new Great Lakes coffee joint on Woodward just south of the WSU campus. They did all the woodwork including the bar top and floors.

they have a warehouse over on Oakman which is open Tuesday thru Saturday 9 to 4:30. You can buy antique lumber and millwork from them for you DIY needs or you can have them build it for you.

a couple of former Dyes members are involved with their mission.

Does Brooks own the mill/lumber yard on St Aubin about a block North of Mack? I do go to Brooks regularly.
    I took a little walk around Mack Ave and St Aubin, it was nice and cool, almost slipped on the icy virtual sidewalks on Google streetview; I checked out the building and found a sign on the side of the bldg;

Name:  trumbull.jpg
Views: 2657
Size:  21.0 KB

on their Facebook page they were asking for projects for their carpenters to tackle. If you don't know their work, check out that new Great Lakes coffee joint on Woodward just south of the WSU campus. They did all the woodwork including the bar top and floors.

they have a warehouse over on Oakman which is open Tuesday thru Saturday 9 to 4:30. You can buy antique lumber and millwork from them for you DIY needs or you can have them build it for you.

I'm sitting at Great Lakes reading this post. How convenient. Thanks!

I took a little walk around Mack Ave and St Aubin, it was nice and cool, almost slipped on the icy virtual sidewalks on Google streetview; I checked out the building and found a sign on the side of the bldg;

Name:  trumbull.jpg
Views: 2657
Size:  21.0 KB
    WOW, Thanx! I became a little confused because I am familiar with the Brooks on Trumbul near MI. I owe you a virtual coffee....

WOW, Thanx! I became a little confused because I am familiar with the Brooks on Trumbul near MI. I owe you a virtual coffee....

No problem, next time I brew one, I will virtually enjoy it more!

I like old time lumber yards which are getting scarce. I also like hardware stores that carry the stuff that the big brand names dont have, like galvanized plumbing, aluminum and steel flatbars to make straightedges etc...

No problem, next time I brew one, I will virtually enjoy it more!

I like old time lumber yards which are getting scarce. I also like hardware stores that carry the stuff that the big brand names dont have, like galvanized plumbing, aluminum and steel flatbars to make straightedges etc...
    I really like Pointe Hardware. I've been going there for years. [[before Clint) They're still old school, will cut a piece of wood or pipe to size, only charge you for what you carry out, and helpful "How To" hints. They carry a lot of onsey-twosey items for repairs too.

I just stopped by the Reclaim facility this afternoon after your suggestion, gnome. An absolute gem of a find -- I'm going to be able to build this thing entirely out of reclaimed wood, AND they're going to cobble together a pretty amazing headboard for me as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast