Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 8200 Mack Ave Detroit...

Hi Guys,

I LOVE THIS BUILDING!

First post here and joined this excellent blog/group for this actual building! :

http://www.trulia.com/property/30546...troit-MI-48214

BTW, its around 29,000sq/ft not 1000sf. as wrongly shown

How can this not be sold? It would have that in scrap metal value!

Seeing i am a bit far, any of you dudes close by who can take some recent photos, and *maybe* inside too.

Anybody please chime in and tell us your thoughts and details of this ex speakeasy/blind-pig!

All the best and stay warm!

Cheers from down-under!

Welcome, Aussie!!

You picked an interesting building!!

Check out this article and the comments and links...
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...asks-150-k.php

and this past Forum discussion:
    http://www.detroityes.com/news/070301/601pics/101.htm

Shollin Guest

Probably all the metal has already been scrapped out of it.

Hi K,

Thanks for the speedy reply!!

I am behind that detroit.curbed article, i emailed Sarah Cox and pointed out the sale and she did a piece on it for me, thanks Ms.Cox if your reading, just a pity you *took* photos with google-earth/maps

If you read the last post in said article, #9 post...is mine!

If i lived in USA i would most likely have purchased it, just the "needs work" in the listing is very vague, and the agent i contacted wanted to see my bank statement before giving any more information!.

I weep if that is the average advise/service that a selling agent in USA gives...

Cheers
    Last edited by AUSSIE; January-06-13 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I think its still ok, looks difficult to break into, and *maybe* these vandals have some respect because it was a church?

Then again they stole the metal doors from a cemetery not that long ago.....

Shameful!
    Last edited by AUSSIE; January-06-13 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    I think its still ok, looks difficult to break into, and *maybe* these vandals have some respect because it was a church?Then again they stole the metal doors from a cemetery not that long ago.....

Shameful!
    The building was designed by Louis Kamper and built in 1926. Kamper resided a few blocks away in Indian Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Actually it looks pretty secure and in tact, @ least from the outside. I had no idea it was unoccupied. I suppose after this post it'll have GASM or one of the other a-ho' names painted all over it.

Anybody in that neck of the woods?

Would love to see some new non-old photos of that [my] joint @ 8200 Mack

Many thanks

I had Cub Scouts in the basement of that building back in the late '60s during its days as a church. Not really understanding the history of the building at the time, I wondered for years why there was so much pastoral Mittel European decor in an African-American church.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The building was designed by Louis Kamper and built in 1926. Kamper resided a few blocks away in Indian Village.
    We are going to need confirmation on that date, some tell me it was built in the 20's

Is there a Kamper society/club/blog etc?

Cheers

The building was begun in 1926, opened in 1927, and dedicated in 1928.

Here is some history, including it's use as an illegal drinking establishment during prohibition, from the website of Detroit's German-American Cultural Center:
    http://www.germanamericanmetrodetroit.org/history.htm

I am sorry to hear that the Greater Macedonia Baptist Church eventually failed there. It was one of the older African-American congregations in the area, and from the little time I spent there as a kid I certainly remember its longtime minister, Rev. Meek, as an extremely nice man. It certainly wasn't his fault that I lost interest and washed out of the Cub Scouts!

With the massive decline in the population of the area, and competition from other newer and more charismatic churches [[like the big Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist 2 blocks away at Mack and Van Dyke), I'm sure it became difficult to continue with a shrinking and aging congregation. And the upkeep costs for the old and massive building no doubt added considerably to their burden.

Although this building is not in as terrible an area as many on the east side, being right on the edge of Indian Village, it is hard to imagine any workable use for it now. Sadly, it seems likely to become yet another large, abandoned, perhaps stripped, and non-usable building in this part of town.

[[Edited for new information on building dates)
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-08-13 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The building was begun in 1926 and completed in 1928.

Here is some history, including it's use as an illegal drinking establishment during prohibition, from the website of Detroit's German-American Cultural Center:
    http://www.germanamericanmetrodetroit.org/history.htm

Although this building is not in as terrible an area as many on the east side, being right on the edge of Indian Village, it is hard to imagine any workable use for it now. Sadly, it seems likely to become yet another large, abandoned, perhaps stripped, and non-usable building in this part of town.
    Appreciate that!

I have already seen that website, but thanks for the heads up on Rev Meek

Yes, what to do with a 29,000/sf building, not a church, not a speakeasy either, time to come into the modern age.

I was thinking:

Micro brewery
    Restaurant/Cafe/Juicery/Pizza-joint
    Backpackers
    Gym
    Offices for 3x business
    Car museum
    Storage and lockup for moi?

In the end i want to sell it back to the Germans, state office for BMW/BENZ/VW?

Its not right that a icon like that sits vacant, plus its a sexy looking well built unique building [DC look?]

Many thanks again!

Cheers

From the Wayne State U. Virtual Motor City site, here are some pictures of the building when it was new:

Exterior. Note the storefronts that once face Mack Ave.

The main auditorium, which was used as the church and, as I remember, had pews on the open floor shown here and a pulpit and large baptismal font where the stage is.

The basement and what I would guess was originally a rathskeller. This is the part of the building I remember. I believe the guy astride the beer barrel on the left was gone, but the painted detail and the mural of the germanic mountain scene was still there in the '60s.

From the Wayne State U. Virtual Motor City site, here are some pictures of the building when it was new:

Exterior. Note the storefronts that once face Mack Ave.

The main auditorium, which was used as the church and, as I remember, had pews on the open floor shown here and a pulpit and large baptismal font where the stage is.

The basement and what I would guess was originally a rathskeller. This is the part of the building I remember. I believe the guy astride the beer barrel on the left was gone, but the painted detail and the mural of the germanic mountain scene was still there in the '60s.
    That is tremendous work, much appreciated!

Stunning workmanship inside from them photos, wonder what its like these days?

Cheers and many thanks!

EastsideAl- Cool old photos! Does anyone know if the library has these for buildings?
    I heard this one has had major water damage inside for awhile. Roof problems, basement has been flooded with standing water. It’s sad. Being vacant for years takes a toll. I remember being in it years ago and it looked more modern, so the woodwork must have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by villagejack View Post

EastsideAl- Cool old photos! Does anyone know if the library has these for buildings?
    I heard this one has had major water damage inside for awhile. Roof problems, basement has been flooded with standing water. It’s sad. Being vacant for years takes a toll. I remember being in it years ago and it looked more modern, so the woodwork must have been removed.
    Now that is the 2nd time i have heard about this water damage, must be true??

When i started my investigation with 8200 Mack i used google maps to see the neighbors, with a view to phoning them from Australia and getting the intel on it.

So i phoned Z Amazing Savings located at 7802 Mack and by luck chatted with a real nice, friendly and helpful dude.

He claimed that the last person had spent $10,s of thousands trying to fix the sewer in it, and in the end gave up and left it, my new mate claimed it still smells...ouch

The best comment is "why don't u buy my place instead"

Cheers!

WOW

What a nice write up and pictures!

https://plus.google.com/117989118821...ut?gl=au&hl=en

Cheers
    Last edited by AUSSIE; January-09-13 at 10:57 PM.

In speaking with my father the other night I found out that between its time as the Deutches Haus and Greater Macedonia Baptist this building was used as a CYO center. This is confirmed by circa 1950 maps of the area.

In speaking with my father the other night I found out that between its time as the Deutches Haus and Greater Macedonia Baptist this building was used as a CYO center. This is confirmed by circa 1950 maps of the area.
    Thanks for the heads up, keep them coming!

I Googled, is that Catholic Youth Organization?

That joint @ 8200 must be one of the holiest places in Detroit!

Cheers

PS/ Feel free to take some photos if your in the area and its safe etc
    Last edited by AUSSIE; January-09-13 at 11:46 PM.

Yes, sorry. CYO = Catholic Youth Organization. They're really big on basketball.

Anybody in that neck of the woods?

Would love to see some new non-old photos of that [my] joint @ 8200 Mack

Many thanks
    I live near there. I'll take some pics and post them.

The building, sadly, is open to trespassers occasionally. But as far as I know, scrappers have left it alone. It's very hard to access. There is a gate that would need to be jumped over and then there's a board covering an opening in the rear. I drive by often to make sure the door is closed. I'll report that immediately if it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    I live near there. I'll take some pics and post them.
    +11111111!

Thanks, appreciate it!

So near, yet so far

Good area to live/work/play, or you want out?

Many thanks

Cheers

This was taken last summer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+11111111!

Thanks, appreciate it!

So near, yet so far

Good area to live/work/play, or you want out?

Many thanks

Cheers
    There was a thread on here not too long ago about an Aussie who came down and bought a run down 10 unit apartment for $35K in Detroit's east side. He fixed it up. He had a tenant who wouldn't pay rent. He tried to evict her and her dad showed up at shot the Aussie and he later died in the hospital. The murderer won some money in the lottery and hired a good lawyer to defend him. It went to trial and it was thrown out as a mistrial because his lawyer argued the witness' statement was prejudicial. http://www.smh.com.au/world/mistrial...113-1pyw9.html

You still think this would be a great area for a foreigner to live in? You gonna enjoy living in a city where almost anyone can get a CCW permit except you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast