Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Good News for Downtown - Red Wings Return Lock Out to End

Too late to recover the millions lost from not holding the big game at the Big House, but this is great news for downtown businesses. Any thoughts or yawns?

Article in Crains

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Too late to recover the millions lost from not holding the big game at the Big House, but this is great news for downtown businesses. Any thoughts or yawns?

Article in Crains
    I'm ecstatic the both Ilitch and the players worked out a deal that now both can afford to put gas in their cars and drive down to Joe Louis. Looking forward to Bing locking them out until we figure out if the City is owed royalties and back taxes.

I no longer give a rat's behind about the NHL, but I'm glad that the area merchants will get at least a half-season on extra income. Other than that, the NHL could have given the cup back to Lord Stanley and gone the way of the XFL.

Yes, this was the year a new condo tower was announced to be built at Bell Center ironically. The 48, now 50 story "Habs" tower sold units briskly and this in the midst of a disappeared season. I guess the Habs' owner Geoff Molson was feeling a bit of pressure since the team was a recent acquisition. I am happy that the folks in our respective downtowns can get back some business.

Nothing against our local Tier II team, it will be nice to watch something other than that miserable collection of college games NBC Sports Network runs. Poor Doc Emrick sounded really bored calling the Colorado College/Nebraska Omaha game the other night. I was bored too. The Tigers got eaten alive....

Until Bettman and Fehr are gone I will not support any form of nhl hockey, but I will keep supporting the business' downtown.

Buttman....unbelievable tenure as NHL commissioner. I really despise that man to the core.

When I first heard I was ecstatic.....the glow faded quickly. Hockey has been my sport for 50 yrs but....I don't know how long it might take for the glow to return. I was feeling trepidation about a Lidstrom-less Wings as it was. Funny....I forgot all about that until today.

Good for business that depend on Wings games but.....