Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default [Another] Teen shot and killed during armed robbery

What is especially heinous about these back to back crimes is that the teens are killed even after the comply with the criminals!

From article:

"The young man already took the jacket off," says Barbara Carreker. "The guy just started shooting anyway."

"He worked at a $7 an hour job. They were trying to rob him for a leather coat, " Carreker said. "He took the coat off and threw it down. They opened fire with an AK-47 and started shooting at him."

The two victims ran. We're told Demetri's friend, who had a concealed weapon, returned fire. He got away. But, when he turned around Demetri was on the ground. His mother says he was shot in the head.

"My son just graduated from Southeastern with a 4.0," she said choking back tears. "He was in an all city string band. He's on two CD's. He and his brother played with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...-armed-robbery

This really is ridiculous.

I am totally fine with the National Guard coming in right now. I know that will bring out civil rights issues and am empathetic to that. Dealing with and resolving the civil rights issues will not go smoothly, but it will be easier to deal with that than deal with this.

Seriously, think about that for a second.It will be easier to deal with the civil rights problems than to deal with thugs showing up with an AK-47 and killing a talented kid who was shot even after complying with the robber.

BRING IN THE NATIONAL GUARD. This will get worse with every day that we don't. Where are the community leaders, and why aren't they already begging for outside help to come in?

You need a lot of enforcers, that is for sure. I would hope for more trained police because the National Guard arent trained to investigate but whatever it takes at this stage to ensure a presence, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I am totally fine with the National Guard coming in right now.

BRING IN THE NATIONAL GUARD.
    You really don't understand how things work do you?

There are very limited conditions where military force can be used and life in Detroit is no where near those conditions. Camden, NJ is so bad they're dissolving the entire police force and combining with the county, yet the NG was never an option.

Nearly 30 Memphis police officers have been arrested in the last year or so for a wide range of offenses, but the NG is not being discussed there.

You also seem to forget that many NG members are full time DPD and DFD, so instead of adding coverage, you would be removing DPD members with full police powers from the street and putting them in a different uniform with less authority.
    Last edited by Meddle; January-06-13 at 09:53 AM.

This last series of murders is really the worst news in that these were young men who could be considered the pride of the city. They couldnt defend themselves obviously against the firepower of these cowards. This really has to stop. Can the Michigan State Police not step in? Is there not a possible sharing of resources within Detroit? How does the sherriff's office differ from the DPD?

What ever happened with all the press of the FBI, etc. joining forces to really cut down on the gang related crimes, especially on the east side? If there forces aren't large enough [[and people are worried about National Guard not being adequate), why can't we get Washington to increase the strength and presence of U.S. Marshals, ATF, FBI and other Federal forces here? Obviously, DPD is severally lacking and incapable of handling the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What is especially heinous about these back to back crimes is that the teens are killed even after the comply with the criminals!

From article:

"The young man already took the jacket off," says Barbara Carreker. "The guy just started shooting anyway."

"He worked at a $7 an hour job. They were trying to rob him for a leather coat, " Carreker said. "He took the coat off and threw it down. They opened fire with an AK-47 and started shooting at him."

The two victims ran. We're told Demetri's friend, who had a concealed weapon, returned fire. He got away. But, when he turned around Demetri was on the ground. His mother says he was shot in the head.

"My son just graduated from Southeastern with a 4.0," she said choking back tears. "He was in an all city string band. He's on two CD's. He and his brother played with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...-armed-robbery
    Seriously? A roberry with an AK-fucking-47??? POS are walking around Detroit robbing and murdering people with AK-47's? PLEASE don't bring back STRESS, we wouldn't want to infringe on anyones rights.

The man who was with him fired back with his legally licensed hand gun.

But the robbers got away. I wonder if he'll leave town or at least that area. These folks may be back looking for him for 'daring' to provide a lethal response?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-06-13 at 12:04 PM.

Since the Police Chief wouldn't provide the exact number of officers on Patrol, I invite simple math to help us figure it out.

1600 patrols after the July cutbacks / 3 8-hour shifts [[yes I know they have ten hour days, and the stations are closed at night now so....) = 533 maximum patrols on any given shift

Subtract 75 on vacation or sick time

We're down to about 450 per shift.

Divide by 2 the number of officers per car = max 225 cars on patrol.

Start subtracting the SWAT teams making late night drug-busts, traffic patrol and you could easily drop another 25-30 cruisers.

So now we're under 200 cars per shift. 75 are responding to calls,
    processing paperwork, 20 are on lunch. 20 more cars are at 36-D

75 cruisers per shift. Maximum.

Sure, it's probably flawed math, as I assume there's even fewer patrol cars at any given time, especially at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Seriously? A roberry with an AK-fucking-47??? POS are walking around Detroit robbing and murdering people with AK-47's? PLEASE don't bring back STRESS, we wouldn't want to infringe on anyones rights.
    You can get a AK-47 for $100 in the street

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    You really don't understand how things work do you?

There are very limited conditions where military force can be used and life in Detroit is no where near those conditions. Camden, NJ is so bad they're dissolving the entire police force and combining with the county, yet the NG was never an option.

Nearly 30 Memphis police officers have been arrested in the last year or so for a wide range of offenses, but the NG is not being discussed there.

You also seem to forget that many NG members are full time DPD and DFD, so instead of adding coverage, you would be removing DPD members with full police powers from the street and putting them in a different uniform with less authority.
    I admit ignorance.

I'm very curious about what happened in Camden and wondering if that could happen here? I understand that the criteria for military action is high. Is there a level below military action but above where we are? Barricades and checkpoints in those neighborhoods that request a higher level of security?

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    You're not making me feel warm and fuzzy, Sevh313.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're not making me feel warm and fuzzy, Sevh313.
    Sorry about that, just passing on the savings.

Bring back S.T.R.E.S.S.

9mile&seneca Guest

45 years of the "Great Society" Paying young females to have children out of wedlock, so as to breed democrat voters. They are running buck wild in the streets now. Is everybody happy?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    45 years of the "Great Society" Paying young females to have children out of wedlock, so as to breed democrat voters. They are running buck wild in the streets now. Is everybody happy?
    Yes, this is all clearly Lyndon Johnson's fault. Please keep comments such as those to yourself.

Frivolity aside, two rancid old men recently told the citizens that 1,000 more police officers would not make a difference, after cracking a few jokes, of course. They were none other than the mayor and [[allegedly interim) police chief of this godforsaken hellhole of a city.

You can blame society, economics, dead presidents, and whoever else you like but the fact is that the city is bankrupt and devoid of leadership. I don't care if you fill it with the national guard, the state, the feds, or a military junta, this kind of anarchy and carnage cannot be allowed to continue unabated in the richest country on earth.
    Last edited by poobert; January-06-13 at 11:41 PM.

what is this richest country on earth thing I have read a few times in recent threads?

The US has 4.5% of the worlds population but:

1. 50% of the gun deaths in the world are from the United States not including war
    2. 25% of he world's prison population is in the United States, more in numbers than China with over a billion people and more than Russia.
    3. almost 20% of the population of the US has no health insurance
    4. The wealth in the United States is in the top 20% and is so high that it makes averages high. The bottom 50% is low income without benefits.
    5. The infant mortatlity rate in the United States is appalling and ranked only ahead of former or borderline third world countries.

Open up your eyes and look around you. Its a run down drap place we have here. We need to wake up as a nation.

Ick that's a vision! Well stated. Bing and 'et al' are completely out of touch. Or in touch with an outcome we need to avoid!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Frivolity aside, two rancid old men recently told the citizens that 1,000 more police officers would not make a difference, after cracking a few jokes, of course.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-07-13 at 06:00 AM.

The high percentage of fatherless homes certainly IS NOT helping - this is true rather a repub says it or a dem admits it ----!

The impact is on felt on many levels; especially for children, and teens. I know this from what I've experienced working with that population.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-07-13 at 05:22 PM.

Crimes like these will continue to drive tax-paying, hard working citizens out of Detroit. Given the astronomically high crime rate and city leadership that seems resigned to the situation, why would anyone with kids not leave if they were able? That is one of many reasons why the population will continue to plummet this decade. Until the city can manage the crime problem more effectively, it will be difficult to make sustained progress outside of areas like those around Wayne State.

What a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Ripped off, they are only $45 in Darra Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    What a tragedy.
    +1

Totally out of control, need a complete clean out of the monkeys running the joint and get some hard hitting no-nonsense people to run the joint ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    +1

Totally out of control, need a complete clean out of the monkeys running the joint and get some hard hitting no-nonsense people to run the joint ASAP
    Except that the prisons here are already full - unless you can think of a large island that could be used as a penal colony?