Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'll take Collins over Curry if these rumors are true.

How many coaches will Joe Dumars get to fire before he, the real reason for any struggles, is canned himself?

Bill Laimbeer?

It is about time.

Tom Izzo.....

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    How many coaches will Joe Dumars get to fire before he, the real reason for any struggles, is canned himself?

He is the reason they won a championship in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    He is the reason they won a championship in 2004
    Stop it.... Joe D is a disaster. He had the most talented starting five for the entire decade and has one ring to show for it. He is the worst drafting GM this side of Elgin Baylor, and he's fired about 100 coaches. He shipped away a fan favorite and top 5 PG for a payroll cut, alienating the fans and his players in the process, and also tanking an entire season. I'd have been furious if I was a season ticket holder and he made that move after Game 2. Joe Dumars gets a free pass in this city because he was a great player and is somehow credited for the 2004 Title, when in reality he has been destroying this team move by move.

diver1369 Guest

Isiaih Thomas??? HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Stop it.... Joe D is a disaster. He had the most talented starting five for the entire decade and has one ring to show for it. He is the worst drafting GM this side of Elgin Baylor, and he's fired about 100 coaches. He shipped away a fan favorite and top 5 PG for a payroll cut, alienating the fans and his players in the process, and also tanking an entire season. I'd have been furious if I was a season ticket holder and he made that move after Game 2. Joe Dumars gets a free pass in this city because he was a great player and is somehow credited for the 2004 Title, when in reality he has been destroying this team move by move.

Then step up and do better....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Then step up and do better....
    Hahaha! I wish I could be the GM of a pro team. It's a dream of mine [[and a pipe dream at that!)

Joe D. gets a lot of heat that I don't understand. I guess 6 years of making it to the Eastern Conference Finals, 2 of those years to the NBA finals isn't good enough...

I don't care about Eastern Conference finals... I want rings. And if Dumars made a few decent moves including drafting DWade or Carmelo over Darko freaking Milicic the Pistons would have a fistful of rings by now...

Exactly.....

Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    I'll take Collins over Curry if these rumors are true.
    Collins is a retread. Laimbeer is the choice for this group.

I'd like Rick Carlisle to be the coach. Oh wait, Dumars already fired him...

Disaster? Are you for real? About 95% of the GM's, Team Presidents, whatever teams are calling them, would love to have Dumar's resume. The other 5% work for the Spurs and the Lakers. He accomplished what he did with cast-offs and unwanted players. Chauncey had a good year out West where no one was playing defense until the Conference Finals. But he may have reached his limit here. Dumars is making the moves that need to be made in order to avoid the ruts that the pistons had during the Grant Hill era. He fired Curry, good. He realized it wasn't going to work and is making a change. At least he's not hanging on to what doesn't work like some football teams around here are doing.

thanks for Amir Johnson. We've got enough slow white dudes over here so I'm glad you guys wanted Fabrico Oberto.

Oberto has already been bought out. We traded Amir for the cap space.

I hope it's Collins and not Avery Johnson or Bill Laimbeer. Although ignoring Laimbeer is going to be awkward. When his former team passes him over without a thought, it's going to become clear to him that quitting his job to get an NBA post wasn't a good move.

As for Joe D, he's made more good moves than bad ones. Greentroit apparently gives Joe credit for putting together the league's best nucleus but calls him a shitty GM over one bad draft pick. The Chauncey deal might turn out to be bad, but we have to see what he does with all this cap space.

Joe has had a pretty good run with putting exciting teams on the court and cheeks in the seats. He's a hometown hero, much loved and I would not be surprised to see him bring Bill Lambier into the coaches circle.

The main case for Lambeer is he is a prick. Joe has wanted a prick in that chair for a long time. Joe is driven and wants someone who is as single-focused as he is - without being a Larry Brown headcase. This is Joe's first coaching decision without having to answer to Mr. Davidson and bringing Bill in as coach would help insure a tougher defensive team.

Hate him, love him. Lambeer doesn't tolerate anything other than total dedication. Not a bad trait in a coach who has proven himself to be a winner.

If the Pistons bring back Doug Collins, it will indeed be a return to the "Teal era."

We do not need a repeat of Collins in Detroit At least Johnson can say he took a team to the Finals. Collins can't say that.

No retreads please.
    Bill may be the guy. He can be a hard ass but he also made winners out of a gal's team. This may prove he has a soft side. They didn't mutiny.

So Curry is gone. Now Dumars get can get some real basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    No retreads please.
    Not sure if you're referring to Pistons retreads or former coaches in general. They went with the former Piston player with no NBA coaching experience last time. Didn't work out so well. I doubt Joe is going to go down that same path again with Laimbeer.

Who knows, maybe he'll get an interview and knock it out of the park. But I would guess we're going to go for someone with NBA experience, or a "retread," if you like. How it would matter that Collins coached the Pistons several years back, and other teams at other times, I don't know. It isn't as if there are players left over with whom he wouldn't have credibility.

Could this be why Laimbeer recently left the Shock?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast