Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default closed theater visible from people mover

we like to ride the people mover when we visit the city and ive taken this picture about 9 times but just NOW getting it posted...

can someone please tell me what theater this used to be? i dont recall where exactly it is but i believe it is past the Opera House 'curve'...

That's a sad picture. Hopefully the building will be saved.

That's the Metropolitan Building. It wasn't a theater.

Stunning building what with the curves and arches. Too sad it sits... long abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    That's a sad picture. Hopefully the building will be saved.

HistoricDetroit.org has an interesting history on the Metropolitan Building....

http://www.historicdetroit.org/build...itan-building/

Earlier on your People Mover ride – – – between Times Square and Grand Circus Park – – – you get a view of the old Michigan Theater. If you got off and walked to it, the ornate ceilings and some archways are still intact, even though the building is now a parking garage

who owns the building, and what can it be renovated into?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    Earlier on your People Mover ride – – – between Times Square and Grand Circus Park – – – you get a view of the old Michigan Theater. If you got off and walked to it, the ornate ceilings and some archways are still intact, even though the building is now a parking garage
    Although it is bathed in perpetual twilight... here's how it would look using time lapse photography....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How does someone figure the Metropolitan building was a theater? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    How does someone figure the Metropolitan building was a theater? I'm confused.
    because i didnt know what building it was and with the overhang out front it looked a LOT like a marquee? still confused?

Yes. An office building and a theater kind of look completely different. Now you know what it is now, so relax.

Actually Theatre Historica Society had this to say about Detroit Theatre District theatre's... unlike the downtown palaces of most cities, the downtown palaces in Detroit gave very little indication that they were movie theatres. Most were housed in office buildings and had no indication, besides a marquee that there was a theatre inside. The Michigan and National were exceptions to this, with large arched entrance windows... but many of Detroits downtown/midtown theatres had understated entrances... including the Fisher.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

If I'm not mistaken a big reason the Metropolitan Bldg. hasn't been renovated, or demolished for that matter, is because it is contaminated with dangerous chemicals and heavy metals. Jewelers and watchmakers comprised a large portion of its tenants while it was open.

Past Forum discussion on the Metropolitan Building:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...r-Metropolitan

The top was the philisophical society... there's all kinds of papers and bank records and stuff in there too.