Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ouch! That hurts! Vintage guitar destroyed by Detroit Airport staff.

It was a musician's worst nightmare.

At least that's how Dave Schneider, guitarist and singer for Hanukkah-themed rock band The LeeVees, described it when his guitar—a 1965 Gibson ES-335—got jammed in an elevator by baggage handlers at a Detroit airport.

Schneider was traveling with fellow LeeVees guitarist Adam Gardner from Portland, Maine, to St. Petersburg, Fla., for a gig last month at a conservative temple when their flight was diverted to Rochester, N.Y., due to bad weather, causing them to miss their connection in Philadelphia, Pa. They then drove to Buffalo, N.Y., to hop on a plane destined for Detroit, Mich., where they planned to make a connecting flight to Tampa, Fla.

While boarding in Buffalo, Schneider says he asked Delta staffers not to check in the vintage guitar—which he estimates is worth about $10,000—and allow him to carry it on the plane and place it in an available space, as he did on the flight from Portland.

"I've always carried it on," Schneider, who also tours as the lead singer of the hockey-themed rock group the Zambonis, told Yahoo News. "Never been a problem before."

Schneider says he even showed them a link to a story about Congress passing the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 that made it easier for musicians to fly with their instruments—allowing them to purchase an extra seat on the plane for their fragile instruments.

But he was denied.
    Well, and then this happened...

Read the rest Here.

Looks like his religion didn't account for his vintage instrument. I'm sure he will have a logical explanation for that.

I can hear the baggage handler now. Watch this!!! Followed by insane laughter.

Very sad. Although it looks like he should have bought a sturdier, more modern case for it. Sad nevertheless.

Flying through Michigan skies
    With a song in my innocent heart
    I placed myself in professional hands
    Masters of the traveler's art....

Thank you Republic Airlines
    For splintering the neck on my guitar
    My guitar case was so strong that nothing could get through it
    Way to go Republic, only you could do it

Crash band Republic Airlines
    In the field of demolition you'll go far
    For you took it as a challenge when I turned in to you my case
    And you saw the fragile stickers glued all over the place
    May a team of mad flamingo dancers do to your face
    What you did to my guitar.

"Thank You Republic Airlines" words and music by Tom Paxton [[1985)

Happy Hannukah!