Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rebrand Southeast Michigan as Metro Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor should expand its borders eastward towards Canton and north towards Lyon. Basically, merging with Ann Arbor Charter Township, Superior, Northfield, and Pittsfield.

Its square millage would be greater than Detroit and its population would be 300,000. Rebrand Southeast Michigan as Ann Arbor-Detroit area.

At least the area will not be overshadowed by Detroit. Ann Arbor has a favorable impression around the country and arguably has more culture.

Change the name of Detroit Airport to Ann Arbor-Detroit Airport, and create a metro link from the Airport to Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor.

Rename it something like Fallowfield. A great name for a metro.

You mean FOULfield [[Detroit)

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    Ann Arbor should expand its borders eastward towards Canton and north towards Lyon. Basically, merging with Ann Arbor Charter Township, Superior, Northfield, and Pittsfield.

Its square millage would be greater than Detroit and its population would be 300,000. Rebrand Southeast Michigan as Ann Arbor-Detroit area.

At least the area will not be overshadowed by Detroit. Ann Arbor has a favorable impression around the country and arguably has more culture.

Change the name of Detroit Airport to Ann Arbor-Detroit Airport, and create a metro link from the Airport to Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor.
    AKA: "Fuck Detroit".

Of all the daft ideas I've ever heard... why not Grosse Pointe...

Ann Arbor is the worst place on the planet for snow removal and street cleaning. It's virtually non-existent. A sprawlviille with IKEA population of 300,000 is going to lend it's name to metro Detroit?? I hardly think so... it won't solve any problems except labeling. Ann Arbor is a shabby collection of houses that are rented out to college students who [[like some Detroiters)... like putting sofas and other living room furniture on their front porches...

I doubt Ann Arbor has more culture, unless you think the Hash Bash is superior to the Fash Bash.... anyway... the Symphony, Opera House, Encyclopedic museum et al... of Ann Arbor are not quite up to snuff of Detroit... I could go on and on... but until Briarwood exceeds Somerset.... I don't think so...

Shollin Guest

Why not just give Detroit to Canada and name Grand Rapids the new largest city?

Oh god.....
    Last edited by 313WX; January-03-13 at 11:17 PM.

Yeah, prayer for this poor mis-guided and mis-named newbie was my first reaction too.

How about L. Brooks Patterson merges every community in Oakland County into one SuperCity? [[Except Pontiac and Hazel Park for obvious reasons!) Then they can obliterate what's left of Detroit just like it were Alderaan and, their destiny fulfilled and their plan being complete, rule Southeast Michigan for all eternity! BwaHAHAHAHA!

I know you guys are laughing, but there is truth to what he's saying. I live in Detroit but I split time in both Ann Arbor and Detroit. My business card says Ann Arbor, though, because the serious money around the region, state, and country is willing to do business there.

I didn't think it was possible, but these musings here are actually getting dumber.

I'll also make the argument that Ann Arbor is a much more cosmopolitan city than Detroit. It attracts people from all around the country and world. Turning Detroit into a Mega-sized Ann Arbor would be a positive for everyone.

This is obviously politically impossible. But just saying that the OP isn't coming out of left field, either.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'll also make the argument that Ann Arbor is a much more cosmopolitan city than Detroit. It attracts people from all around the country and world. Turning Detroit into a Mega-sized Ann Arbor would be a positive for everyone.

This is obviously politically impossible. But just saying that the OP isn't coming out of left field, either.
    I recall sitting in a discussion with Michael Finney of Ann Arbor SPARK in one of my classes at the Ford School. He gave some very specific reasons why none of their promotional materials mentioned Detroit's proximity to Ann Arbor, and it was mostly centered around your two points stated.

Most of my classmates and I, while understanding his rationale, still had a pretty sour taste in our mouths. So while it's not out of left field, Barry Bonds is still playing whatever position this viewpoint came from.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'll also make the argument that Ann Arbor is a much more cosmopolitan city than Detroit.
    I don't think Ann Arbor is a particularly cosmopolitan city, and certainly not moreso than Metro Detroit.

Because it houses a major university, obviously there are a few thousand people associated with the university who are from places outside of the U.S., but that's true of any university town. But they're almost all in a similar age cohort, with a similar background, and with a similar role in the community.

I mean, is Hanover, NH a cosmopolitan town because of Dartmouth?

This thread, BTW, is idiotic. Let's rename Metro Boston to Metro Cambridge, the Bay Area to Metro Palo Alto, and Chicagoland to Metro Evanston. Obviously we want to be more "cosmopolitan", and have people forget about urban ills, right?
    Last edited by Bham1982; January-04-13 at 08:17 AM.

Ann Arbor thrives because of the billions provided by the tax payers of Michigan over the decades and profits hugely off part time residents via the University of Michigan. Compare rental rates between Detroit and Ann Arbor for starters.

This has created a guaranteed prosperous recession-proof economy. In turn the university becomes a magnet for research industries using the brainpower the university attracts. It has spawned a huge medical establishment. Imagine if Detroit, Jackson, Pontiac or any other city had been blessed with an equal proportion of the government tit.

I like Ann Arbor and am happy for it, but let's not overlook the huge leg up it has been given. It's like being born on third base and thinking you hit a triple of which a few Ann Arbor boosters are guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Because it houses a major university, obviously there are a few thousand people associated with the university who are from places outside of the U.S., but that's true of any university town. But they're almost all in a similar age cohort, with a similar background, and with a similar role in the community.

I mean, is Hanover, NH a cosmopolitan town because of Dartmouth?
    I'd agree, there are a lot more people associated with WSU, Detroit Mercy, LTU, Oakland, and Cranbrook combined than there are associated U of M. By sheer numbers, Detroit wins. Does AA have anything that approaches institutions like the Henry Ford, DIA, the Zoo, and Cranbrook? Not by a longshot. Heck the arguement could be made that Toledo is more cosmopolitan than AA! Just because you have Starbucks on every corner don't make you cosmopolitan. It makes you sucker that likes to overspend on burnt coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I'd agree, there are a lot more people associated with WSU, Detroit Mercy, LTU, Oakland, and Cranbrook combined than there are associated U of M. By sheer numbers, Detroit wins. Does AA have anything that approaches institutions like the Henry Ford, DIA, the Zoo, and Cranbrook? Not by a longshot. Heck the arguement could be made that Toledo is more cosmopolitan than AA! Just because you have Starbucks on every corner don't make you cosmopolitan. It makes you sucker that likes to overspend on burnt coffee.
    ...don't forget about Comet Coffee in the Arcade! They have vacuum pots there!

Surprisingly, Trenton isn't making a solid push to become Metro Princeton anytime soon, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ann Arbor thrives because of the billions provided by the tax payers of Michigan over the decades and profits hugely off part time residents via the University of Michigan. Compare rental rates between Detroit and Ann Arbor for starters.

This has created a guaranteed prosperous recession-proof economy. In turn the university becomes a magnet for research industries using the brainpower the university attracts. It has spawned a huge medical establishment. Imagine if Detroit, Jackson, Pontiac or any other city had been blessed with an equal proportion of the government tit.

I like Ann Arbor and am happy for it, but let's not overlook the huge leg up it has been given. It's like being born on third base and thinking you hit a triple of which a few Ann Arbor boosters are guilty.
    I'm not disagreeing with the above statements, which are indeed factual. I do take issue, though, that the U of M is all roses for Ann Arbor. You have an enormous acreage of property that isn't taxable. Of the 110,000 residents in Ann Arbor, tens of thousands of these are students...and these aren't people making $50,000 a year. Most [[especially grad students, who don't have Mommy & Daddy support) are scraping by. Never mind the fire department costs paid by the city, and increased policing necessary for football games and in the student ghettos.

I'm only illustrating these downsides lest anyone be tempted to make excuses for Detroit. There are plenty of college towns across the nation that are absolute shitholes, despite benefitting from billions of state dollars and tens of thousands of part-time residents. I think Ann Arbor is an example because, as stated, its quality of life is such that people CHOOSE to stay there and start businesses. That's the more important lesson to take away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

It is exactly because of the brainpower in A2, that the government holds out it's tit, not vice versa. Our fair City too has been given shots of cash, but somehow it's either been squandered, returned, or, no one seems to know WHAT happened to it. If your MegaCorp money was looking for an area investment, which town would you choose to invest it in?

My answer is simple: BIG FAT NO! Silliness.....

... lest we forget... 6 years ago [[2007) Ann Arbor lost its' largest private employer... when the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer closed shop and left with 2,100 jobs, and left behind a 2 million square foot empty complex. Yes, U of M bought the complex [[at bargain basement prices), and also took it off the tax rolls....

So all's not rosy in Ann Arbor either....

Let me start out by saying, I love Detroit and it's my favorite big city... but I love it for what it is.

However, you cannot bash Ann Arbor for being one of America's greatest towns just because of the U of M. It continues to be in the top 10 list of great places to live or visit in America every single year.

First we bash Chicago for being successful and now Ann Arbor. Who's our next target, Grand Rapids?

Maybe we should just worry about improving ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Let me start out by saying, I love Detroit and it's my favorite big city... but I love it for what it is.

However, you cannot bash Ann Arbor for being one of America's greatest towns just because of the U of M. It continues to be in the top 10 list of great places to live or visit in America every single year.

First we bash Chicago for being successful and now Ann Arbor. Who's our next target, Grand Rapids?

Maybe we should just worry about improving ourselves...
    I think you confuse "bashing" with "criticism" -- and criticism is perfectly OK.

That whole stream of thought at the dawn of the 1800s was that big cities, with their corrupt big businesses, would harm state government and the academy with their influence. So cities like Detroit were deprived of the statehouses and campuses, which instead went up in cowtowns. More's the pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think you confuse "bashing" with "criticism" -- and criticism is perfectly OK.

That whole stream of thought at the dawn of the 1800s was that big cities, with their corrupt big businesses, would harm state government and the academy with their influence. So cities like Detroit were deprived of the statehouses and campuses, which instead went up in cowtowns. More's the pity.
    There was also the memory of 1812 and the Brit invasion. Locating the capitol away from the bordertown was a consideration.

Locating the major university out away from commercial hurley-burley was Thomas Jefferson's idea as shown by his locating the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast