Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dewey's Lumberville.....

Anyone have photos they can post or share with the racing boats or Unlimited Hydroplanes [[Such Crust, Miss Wayne) they had mounted on the roof back in the 1960's.....[[Dewey's Lumberville on Schaefer Hwy)

Bonus: Does anyone remember the Unlimited Hydroplane they built & raced back in '61 & '62 [[Miss Lumberville)?

Miss Bardahl driven by Detroiter Fred Alter and the ONLY way to power a hydroplane.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^^^

Rolls-Royce - Totally Agree!!!!!

1968 shot in the Detroit Pits with Dave Diles.....

Smirnoff, I have a feeling you will like this image.

Detroit's own Bill Muncey after winning his fifth Gold Cup on the Detroit River 1972.

Ok, prize won, you guessed the reason behind my name.....every time the Miss Smirnoff passed the crowd in Watersworks Park, I remember the fan's yelling & raising their drink. Back then, I thought the big bottle of vodka on the tail-fin was actually pretty cool.....[[still do)!

Still my favorite summer activity in Detroit, attend the hydro races every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Ok, prize won, you guessed the reason behind my name.....every time the Miss Smirnoff passed the crowd in Watersworks Park, I remember the fan's yelling & raising their drink. Back then, I thought the big bottle of vodka on the tail-fin was actually pretty cool.....[[still do)!

Still my favorite summer activity in Detroit, attend the hydro races every year!
    My parents joined the Detroit Boat Club in 1964. We had according to Sports Illustrated the best view of any venue on the APBA schedule. Definitely one of the better places to see a good wipeout! From 1964 to 1984 when my parents left the club my father took thousands of pictures of the boats plus other venues we visited. When he passed away in 1990 my mom threw all them out without telling me or my sister!!

Miss America IX on Lake St. Clair.

Pay N Pack with the Detroit Yacht Club in the background 1969.

Miss Wayne had a very nice Bow!

Attachment 17758

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    My parents joined the Detroit Boat Club in 1964. We had according to Sports Illustrated the best view of any venue on the APBA schedule. Definitely one of the better places to see a good wipeout! From 1964 to 1984 when my parents left the club my father took thousands of pictures of the boats plus other venues we visited. When he passed away in 1990 my mom threw all them out without telling me or my sister!!
    Sure would have liked to seen those photos.....never had the opportunity to watch from the Boat or Yacht Club. Sat & viewed from the Belle Isle Bridge in 1974, excellent view, especially when they ran the 3 mile course & the hydros turned very close to the bridge.

Here is my latest project....

Great discussion! Thank you for posting this.

Most of the above images posted in this thread are from Unlimiteds Detroit at unlimitedsdetroit.com - U.D. is a hydroplane fan club based in the Detroit area. We have monthly meetings at Gilbert's Lodge in St. Clair Shores - last Thursday of each month at 8pm. Come join us!

The above photos of the 1968 Bardahl were from Bill Grunow and the others were from the Byron Lang collection.

We would appreciate people adding photo credits when posting photos from our website. Our photo contributors have generously shared these photos for free for all to enjoy and we want to make sure people know their names.

Here's a 1961 photo of the Such Crust tail fin next to the Miss Lumberville in the Detroit pits. Photo credit: Bill Grunow

http://unlimitedsdetroit.com/images/...verCupRace.jpg

Default Detroit Hydroplane Racing Videos

For those who would like to see some racing action from the Detroit River, Unlimiteds Detroit has a great video channel on YouTube. Many of the videos are from past Detroit races, such as this one from the 1963 Gold Cup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbLclfoDKI

Here's the link to our video channel:

http://www.youtube.com/unlimitedsdetroit

And we have many more like these in the works.

If you like what you see, join us! http://unlimitedsdetroit.com/join.cfm

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdunncom View Post
    Great discussion! Thank you for posting this.

Most of the above images posted in this thread are from Unlimiteds Detroit at unlimitedsdetroit.com - U.D. is a hydroplane fan club based in the Detroit area. We have monthly meetings at Gilbert's Lodge in St. Clair Shores - last Thursday of each month at 8pm. Come join us!

The above photos of the 1968 Bardahl were from Bill Grunow and the others were from the Byron Lang collection.

We would appreciate people adding photo credits when posting photos from our website. Our photo contributors have generously shared these photos for free for all to enjoy and we want to make sure people know their names.

Here's a 1961 photo of the Such Crust tail fin next to the Miss Lumberville in the Detroit pits. Photo credit: Bill Grunow

http://unlimitedsdetroit.com/images/...verCupRace.jpg
    Your site is a good resource but most of the images were copied from the Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Facebook page you may want to drop them a note too.

An image from Joseph A. Schoenith.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    An image from Joseph A. Schoenith.
    The '68 Gale's Roostertail took paint jobs to a new level....candy colors as shown included red, yellow, green, & blue that changed shades in the sun!

Here's the boat in 1971 w/o the cool paint job....

Smirnoff-Detroit leads the way. An image from the Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Facebook page.

Miss U.S. & Vernors, Dayton, Ohio

The year for that photo was 1976.....when the hydro's raced in Detroit [[6/27) that year, the race was postponed until after 7:00PM due to whitecaps coming out of the west. Miss U.S. driven by local Tom D'Eath won the windy race, dueling Atlas Van Line driven by Bill Muncey. It was a very-long day.....the entire street of Parkview Drive was "one big party" & the hospitality of the home owners was overwhelming, a good friend of mine kept his Chris-Craft Catalina on the Parkview canal back then.

Smirnoff a nice image of Gale V from Joseph Schoenith's Facebook page.

^ Thanks -- nice photo!

Do you remember when the Detroit News included the weekly pictorial in the Sunday news & the writers, authors, journalists, etc. elaborated on all of the positive events & activities happening in the Big D.....I have this one below!

Several full-page advertising listings for Federal's Department Stores, my family shopped at the Federal's store on Grand River.

Attachment 18194
    Last edited by Smirnoff; February-10-13 at 04:54 PM.

Heh. Is that Reddy Kilowatt on the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    When do they occur, or are they a thing of the past?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    When do they occur, or are they a thing of the past?
    They are scheduled for July 12-14.

Miss Bardahl in the air!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast