Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What is you favorite cable/internet provider in Detroit?

A friend just moved here from Cali and needs to get internet and basic tv channels. What do you all say, good experiences, bad experiences, prices. He has a new digital flat screen so he shouldnt need a converter box. He just wants basic internet and either basic cable stations or just local tv stations.

Any suggestions?

None, get the rabbit ears and a converter box [[if needed). Paying for TV is a waste. Get internet through your phone provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    A friend just moved here from Cali and needs to get internet and basic tv channels. What do you all say, good experiences, bad experiences, prices. He has a new digital flat screen so he shouldnt need a converter box. He just wants basic internet and either basic cable stations or just local tv stations.

Any suggestions?
    No TV experience, but where I live, most people seem to like "The Dish" better then COMCAST for television channels. As far as internet, I've had COMCAST, and it was terrible, [[drops, not connecting, etc.), and they couldn't seem to straighten out the problems. I've had basic AT&T internet for about 2 years now, and have been much happier with my connection.

Dish, DirecTV, or U-Verse.

Or really, anything but Comcast. Comcast is horrible.

Ive had good luck with AT&T also but not sure about the cable service they provide. We definitely dont want to go Comcast.

Anyone else have any thoughts. Has anyone had AT&T tv service?

I've only had Comcast in my places, but never have had any complaints. My parents use WOW and seem pretty happy with it. They just have basic use though, I'm not sure how well it performs with heavier internet use or what their more advance channel options are like.

I use comcast for tv and internet, initially there were some hiccups but now things are fine.

I have an RCA Converter box on my TVs along with a ROKU box for my Netflix and other TV channels and movies I can pull from the line-up there. ATT all the way for my internet. Rock solid connection there but do pay a high rate. COMCAST? Never: bad service, bad customer service, unpredictable billing cycles.

Cable? Nope can't afford it, and between Converter box, DVD player, ROKU and Netflix I do ok without cable TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Dish, DirecTV, or U-Verse.

Or really, anything but Comcast. Comcast is horrible.

A friend of mine has a Mac and runs WOW and constantly has problems. Can barely download anything without errors and what not. I run a Mac with ATT and rarely have problems with the service. Only occasionally had had with my Airport WIFI but that's an Apple issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I've only had Comcast in my places, but never have had any complaints. My parents use WOW and seem pretty happy with it. They just have basic use though, I'm not sure how well it performs with heavier internet use or what their more advance channel options are like.

Yep. I do the converter box. I can pull ION TV and a few other 'cable channels'. I find they boxes burn out after a while but I just get them cheap off Ebay and keep going. The latest RCA model I have has run for a very long time. No cable bill!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    None, get the rabbit ears and a converter box [[if needed). Paying for TV is a waste. Get internet through your phone provider.

We dropped Comcast years ago when the price kept going up. This was way before U-verse, Dish, Direct and the bundling plans. We had Dish a few years back, but no longer can afford it. We get internet service through a local state company, Starnet Wireless, based in Bay City. Heard them advertised on WWJ 950 about 6-7 years ago. Only $24.95/mth. Price has never changed since we had it. Service is fine. 1-800-996-9250 We did have converter boxes for the older tv but it went out. We do have one HD ready TV but my daughter finds whatever she wants to watch on the internet anyway, movies, TV, etc. No need for cable anymore really at least not for us.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    We dropped Comcast years ago when the price kept going up. This was way before U-verse, Dish, Direct and the bundling plans. We had Dish a few years back, but no longer can afford it. We get internet service through a local state company, Starnet Wireless, based in Bay City. Heard them advertised on WWJ 950 about 6-7 years ago. Only $24.95/mth. Price has never changed since we had it. Service is fine. 1-800-996-9250 We did have converter boxes for the older tv but it went out. We do have one HD ready TV but my daughter finds whatever she wants to watch on the internet anyway, movies, TV, etc. No need for cable anymore really at least not for us.

Wow thats good to know. Is it DSL? C
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-04-13 at 04:09 PM. Reason: lol I guess with a name starnet WIRELESS you should be able to!

I used to like WOW cable, but ever since a failed billing system conversion in late October they have completely sucked.

WOW is still better than Comcast when it comes to customer service.

I've had Comcast for a long time and have never had any issues. Anytime there is a price increase I call and ask for customer retention dept [[never talk to the first rep you get) and tell them I might switch to another provider and they always get me on a promotion. I also use my longtime service to my advantage when getting a better rate. I have phone, internet and digital cable.

GUSHI Guest

Comcast fukn sucks, ripppooofffff, Very Poor customer service.

I've had WOW for a number of years. Never any problems & excellent customer service.

Haven't had any major issues with Comcast. Yes the price keeps going up, especially for long term customers but if you call and tell them you are thinking of getting rid of their service they will try and work a deal with you.

My only beef with Comcast is that they dropped support for Usenet newsgroups.

I just moved to Southfield from Detroit and transferred my Uverse service. They gave me $28 off of my monthly bill for staying with them. They then upgraded me to their new wireless receivers. Now I can put my TVs wherever I want. They are still a bit pricey but they have excellent service so it's worth it to me. Never again will I subscribe to Comcast.

All cable/internet providers are horrible here. I nixed cable altogether. I can watch anything I want on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    All cable/internet providers are horrible here. I nixed cable altogether. I can watch anything I want on the internet.
    Really? Does that include ESPN?

I'm honestly curious as I'd be thrilled to not have cable anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Really? Does that include ESPN?

Does it include Fox Sports Detroit too?