Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pure rhetoric.... Standard preaching to the choir [[and I'm not anti-church) stuff! "It's our Detroit" alright. How many of his peers remain in the city at this point?

Ummm - 'news-flash' perhaps it was "our Detroit" [[sic) at a point - recall the glory days under KK and what-not but that IS OVER! Done. Squandered and wasted. The cash cow finally laid down.

Palmer Woods not part of Detroit? Utter nonsense! Napoleon probably has some well-heal friends and that live there. He really shot past the runway on that one!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-13 at 08:01 AM.

Napolean's going to be surprised to see how much this code-talk doesn't work, anymore. I don't think these idiots realized how Kilpatrick's crap changed the whole political and electoral game. Detroiters have already elected one carpetbagger [[Bing), and they'll sure as hell give another a look if they believe his or her message is better. I say this as someone with no dog in the fight. I'm not at all sure - to say the least - if Duggan is the transformative candidate Detroit needs. What I do know is that Napolean has shown by this that he sure as hell isn't.

BTW, I hope every damned Palmer Park resident is down at city hall holding up signs reading "Palmer Park is Detroit." What a totally stupid thing to say, and bless his heart, he thinks he's going to get rewarded for that bull. Detroit's changed, Benny. Your mayoral campaign wasn't serious to begin with; now, it's really a joke.

Duggan saved the jobs of thousands of Detroiters when the Medical Center hospitals and clinics were saved. Literally thousands, as the DMC largest non-governmental employer in the City.
    I am a Detroiter. I have lived next to an abandoned house. I have had no streetlights for years. I have stray dogs running everywhere and empty lots filled with litter and dumped debris. We have fear and crime. I am a Detroiter and I do plan to vote for Duggan on his excellent management record.

I hear you. The standard canards are getting REALLY TIRED... past tired. BTW he said Palmer Woods, not Park but that makes the comment even more bizarre. This is one of our few remaining large scale, tax paying, property-maintaining-middle-class and beyond communities - um, Detroter's STRIVING TO STAY in Detroit!

He insulted them all... and as I said I'm sure he has friends along with potential constituents living in Palmer Woods...

THE SAME FOLK HE NEEDS FOR VOTES and influence others to VOTE FOR HIM! Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I don't think these idiots realized how Kilpatrick's crap changed the whole political and electoral game.

BTW, I hope every damned Palmer Park resident is down at city hall holding up signs reading "Palmer Park is Detroit." What a totally stupid thing to say, and bless his heart, he thinks he's going to get rewarded for that bull. Detroit's changed, Benny. Your mayoral campaign wasn't serious to begin with; now, it's really a joke.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-13 at 09:55 AM.

sheesh.. this will certainly be an interesting [[read: inadvertently comedic and bizarre) campaign year. I will be sending long letters to all the self-described candidates..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; January-02-13 at 08:38 AM.

Hmmm. I worked with Benny Napoleon years ago, he was a very astute young up and coming guy. In retrospect, he would say or do what he felt would get him further up the ladder. He has done well. But this mess could well be his 47%. You cannot throw the only people with cash to support your campaign out the window. And don't we all want Detroit to be the sum of its parts, with the problematic parts working to achieve the stability of the neighborhoods that still work?

^^^ Well stated Gazhekwe! He is kicking the ladder from beneath him with this nonsense. I wonder what his 'damage control' statement will be comprised of?

I believe all of want to hear a detailed plan of how the candidate would revitalize Detroit & restore basic services [[police, fire, 911, snow removal, crime, fire, demolition, etc). Not bash other candidates & "throw them under the bus" as their election platform.....wonder if he thinks Sherwood Forest is in Detroit

Thats funny shit. "its our Detroit" Well... We all know what he means by that. Too bad he didn't just come out and say it. I bet Duggan woke up, read that drivel and did cartwheels for the first time in 40 years.

^^^ Funny indeed. Sadly 'our' criminal [[usually) crawling thru the window or kicking in the back door, or snatching out the ATM machine at the CVS or gas station. Get a grip folks. We need the best candidate to get this mess turned around. Napoleon's banter is fairly useless.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-02-13 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Thats funny shit. "its our Detroit" Well... We all know what he means by that. Too bad he didn't just come out and say it. I bet Duggan woke up, read that drivel and did cartwheels for the first time in 40 years.
    Funny it may be, but I think it will work for him.

Or the Green Acres subdivision is in the burbs too. Where does he live? Perhaps a more 'authentic' Detroit area?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    ....wonder if he thinks Sherwood Forest is in Detroit

I cannot believe how badly people are misinterpreting his remark about Palmer Woods not being Detroit. Of course he knows it is geographically located in our city. What he meant was that Palmer Woods [[and Rosedale and Indian Village, etc.) are not typical neighborhoods. They are the elite few, while most Detroiters struggle with neighborhoods that are grossly substandard.

We know that is what he meant. That is what we are objecting to. Detroit is more than trouble, and needs to recognize and aspire to stability.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    I cannot believe how badly people are misinterpreting his remark about Palmer Woods not being Detroit. Of course he knows it is geographically located in our city. What he meant was that Palmer Woods [[and Rosedale and Indian Village, etc.) are not typical neighborhoods. They are the elite few, while most Detroiters struggle with neighborhoods that are grossly substandard.
    Of course he knows, and of course we know he knows. The audacity is him making a statement that Palmer Woods isn't a "real" Detroit area. Instant segregation and alienation. I had the good fortune of being invited to a Holiday event in Indian Village. As I slid through a stop sign and intersection, I was amazed the City didn't run a salt truck down the streets. People @ the gathering told me it's always like that in the winter, and that most nights, there are no streetlights. Not that I feel people there are more deserving then in other neighborhoods, but those people are paying a lot of City taxes for not getting basic services. I wonder if the same thing goes on in Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, etc?

Just another blowhard politician. They're all alike.

This is a shrewd move by Napoleon. He is playing where he has the biggest base. By moving into Palmer Woods, Duggan has no street cred.

Great. Just another black Detroit thinking that the white man is going to come and take away the city from him. It's 2013, Napoleon. Grow up and start dealing with the fact that this city is failing and everyone needs to come together to fix it. Black, white, asian, hispanic, it doesn't matter what race, just fix the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This is a shrewd move by Napoleon. He is playing where he has the biggest base. By moving into Palmer Woods, Duggan has no street cred.
    I don't know if "shrewd" is quite the adjective I'd use........

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know if "shrewd" is quite the adjective I'd use........
    Shrewd as in terms of calculating. The rest of the City has more votes than the fancy pants neighborhoods. The same tactic was used effectively against Hendrix who lived in Rosedale Park and went to a 'Catholic' church!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Shrewd as in terms of calculating. The rest of the City has more votes than the fancy pants neighborhoods. The same tactic was used effectively against Hendrix who lived in Rosedale Park and went to a 'Catholic' church!
    I know, DP, more of my misguided humor. I would like to see someone, doesn't matter what ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc., they are, in office, who'll start leading Detroit correctly, and in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    "It's our Detroit, and we're going to keep it for Detroiters," Napoleon said from the pulpit of New Bethel Baptist Church.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2GqVOxdM1
    [/LEFT]
    The man is obviouslly full of angst toward the big bad white man who lurks outside the real Detroit...yeah he would be a great choice for the city - forward thinking he is not. Ya gotta love people who feed off and perpetuate racial division. Who needs a tax base anyway.

Kwame could have - and did - say the exact same shit about coming up and living in the city. We all know how well that worked out.

The man may be acting like a retard, but that doesn't mean he is one. I think he understands full well that many of the neighborhoods like Palmer Woods, Rosedale, Corktown, Indian Village, East English Village, etc., may in large part go to Duggan. They see the change in Detroit they would like to see.

The more hard-scrabble neighborhoods have in recent decades resented those places that maintained some semblance of a middle class existence. He's playing off that. He's going all-in with the grassroots game. These are straight up JoAnn Watson, Reverend David Murray maneuvers. Hell, let's include George W. Bush in that while we're at it. Play on the fears, anger, and resentment of the least-educated and most disadvantaged.

What's galling in a different way is that every neighborhood - even Palmer Woods - has, in the past 5 years at least, felt the pain traditionally felt by the poorer neighborhoods. Remember the squatter nut in Palmer Woods? Romney's childhood home was demolished because it was beyond salvaging. You think they're getting a different Police Department or school system?

So clearly Benny isn't as in touch with the city as he claims to be. Otherwise he'd understand that we're all catching hell here, even if our houses aren't falling down.

I'm a real Detroiter. I live in the city of fucking Detroit in a modest home and pay my taxes. I shovel my sidewalks and watch out for my neighbors. And I'm sure as hell not voting for this dirtbag charlatan. Duggan for Mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    As I slid through a stop sign and intersection, I was amazed the City didn't run a salt truck down the streets. People @ the gathering told me it's always like that in the winter, and that most nights, there are no streetlights. Not that I feel people there are more deserving then in other neighborhoods, but those people are paying a lot of City taxes for not getting basic services. I wonder if the same thing goes on in Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, etc?
    Yes, it does. Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, and University District neighborhood associations pay for snow removal [[in addition to what the city does).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast