Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How's the MCS restoration coming along?

It's been a while since I've seen any news stories about the rapid progress, the window installation, etc.

Now I think about it, the last stories I did see were right before the election, right before the bridge proposal failed.

Hmm, I wonder if that had anything do to with it - a better question would be if the proposal had gone the other way, would the MCS situation be any different.

Thoughts?

No. It wouldn't be different. MO would be the same. Do things only when doing them gets you something. If he did work on MCS now, he'd have less to do later when he needs to convince the gullible that he's sincere. Really. This time I'm really gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    It's been a while since I've seen any news stories about the rapid progress, the window installation, etc.

Now I think about it, the last stories I did see were right before the election, right before the bridge proposal failed.

Hmm, I wonder if that had anything do to with it - a better question would be if the proposal had gone the other way, would the MCS situation be any different.

Thoughts?
    I drove by there a day or two before Christmas, and was surprised to see cherry pickers and other equipment still out in front of MCS. No idea what they're doing or how far along they are, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I drove by there a day or two before Christmas, and was surprised to see cherry pickers and other equipment still out in front of MCS. No idea what they're doing or how far along they are, though.
    Good to hear that something is still going on....

They put a wreath on the front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    They put a wreath on the front of it.
    Christmas or funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Christmas or funeral?
    Thank you for the chuckle.

I would think that the two main things, being the roofs and windows, are going to take time and are probably not going to be taking place in the dead of winter. I believe Maroun's wife stated that the windows all had to be sized and the roofs actually had been removed are were being prepped for now ones. I guess we will see if there is continued activity throughout the winter, but I'd think springtime will be a good indicator if this project will actually be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Thank you for the chuckle.

I would think that the two main things, being the roofs and windows, are going to take time and are probably not going to be taking place in the dead of winter. I believe Maroun's wife stated that the windows all had to be sized and the roofs actually had been removed are were being prepped for now ones. I guess we will see if there is continued activity throughout the winter, but I'd think springtime will be a good indicator if this project will actually be completed.

There is small scale electricity running the building [[if you look out back on Vernor you'll see an electrical box sitting outside). There is alot of work going on inside, but yeah spring will be the major "we'll see" moment. But nora maroun seems very committed to this project so I'm excited

On the side of the building, why did they remove the metal window frames and replace them with wooden boards with the frames painted on? That's retarded.

Gilbert will have his new parking garage opened up later this year. They're working through the dead of Winter.

I haven't seen any significant progress at MCS in years.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Gilbert will have his new parking garage opened up later this year. They're working through the dead of Winter.

I haven't seen any significant progress at MCS in years.
    How can that be? Work's been done in 2011-12.

MCS Suckers

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How can that be? Work's been done in 2011-12.
    I haven't seen anything significant. Wow, he changed out some windows and fixed some roof issues. Big whoop.

We've got businessmen that are buying buildings and renovating them in months. Buying land and building structures from nothing in less than two years.

Then we've got Matty, who can't finish his part of the Gateway project in more than two years and MDOT steps in and finishes it in months, including removal of out-of-compliance structures. Then we've got Matty saying he's serious about the MCS, but instead spends 30 million on trying to amend the state's constitution instead of fixing his property.

I haven't seen anything significant. Wow, he changed out some windows and fixed some roof issues. Big whoop.

We've got businessmen that are buying buildings and renovating them in months. Buying land and building structures from nothing in less than two years.

Then we've got Matty, who can't finish his part of the Gateway project in more than two years and MDOT steps in and finishes it in months, including removal of out-of-compliance structures. Then we've got Matty saying he's serious about the MCS, but instead spends 30 million on trying to amend the state's constitution instead of fixing his property.
    I guess the question would be is if Mr. Gilbert was not allotted the $200 million in incentives would he have still invested in Detroit,and if he had not would it have still been the same as before?He is not short on funds himself and so why did he not do it before.

So most of the changes have been heavily subsidized in order to happen,I wonder if Mr. Moroun petitioned for a tax capture if it would be approved. The 30 million he spent I guess it was a waste or could have been depending on how you want to see the city as a bedroom community or as a breathing city,its a matter of perspective.

Happy New year : )

instead spends 30 million on trying to amend the state's constitution instead of fixing his property.
    33 million, but who's counting? Seriously, I hope he does it, but I feel MCS is beyond restoration. I have fond memories of picking up and seeing my aunt off back to NY in the early 60's, and again visiting a friend inside the office part, in the 70's, just before CONRAIL moved out of the building. I've been in it a couple of times in the late 90's and early 2000, and it was a horrid mess. I can't imagine it's gotten any better over the years. I seriously doubt it's restorable without a considerable investment. Then, what are you going to do with it to recoup your investment? I think this is all wishful thinking.

No one has even mentioned that it was being restored... it was just being mothballed... why are some of you having such difficulty understanding that?

The United Artists Building/Theatre has also been mothballed... as has the National Theatre, although that one is in far worse condition inside than the other 2.

Had the Lafayette Building been mothballed many years ago... it wouldn't have ended up as a cabbage patch today.

As for what the future holds on mothballed buildings... none of us knows... so any comments on the subject are purely speculative opinions... and we all know what those are like...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-01-13 at 03:17 PM.

I think that the question is how much economic value is there to a renovated/restored/re-purposed MCS? Unless downtown grows out in that direction so that it is not isolated, there isn't much use pouring a lot of money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I think that the question is how much economic value is there to a renovated/restored/re-purposed MCS? Unless downtown grows out in that direction so that it is not isolated, there isn't much use pouring a lot of money into it.
    I agree 100%... however the cost of tearing it down probably exceeds the minimum cost of mothballing it with new windows and a roof. Granted they likely won't be top of the line windows... but with the new lighting of the place it sure beats the hell out of ripping it down and replacing it with NOTHING!!

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ion_appea.html

People should try to separate their disdain for Maroun and their feeling for the MCS. Personally I don't see how this structure can be a pawn in Maroun's scheme for a 2nd bridge, since Canadians have a big say in a 2nd bridge, and what happens on the Detroit side of the river is of no consequence to their disapproval of his 2nd span.

Here's an interesting blog about the MCS... it even mentions the Broderick Tower... another Detroit building that people were skeptical about on this forum for years...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-...b_1641126.html

2013 - HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY... MICHIGAN CENTRAL STATION!!
    Last edited by Gistok; January-01-13 at 07:21 PM.

I agree 100%... however the cost of tearing it down probably exceeds the minimum cost of mothballing it with new windows and a roof. Granted they likely won't be top of the line windows... but with the new lighting of the place it sure beats the hell out of ripping it down and replacing it with NOTHING!!
    "As for what the future holds on mothballed buildings... none of us knows... so any comments on the subject are purely speculative opinions... and we all know what those are like..."

sad to say its a building that has outlived any practical use in its current time and place except perhaps billionaire's wife's pet project. Oh well. Hopefully they fix it so its not such a sore thumb sticking out of the earth.

There was a guy who used to post here 7 years ago named Brian... he was sort of a smug fellow that thought that nothing on this planet could possibly save the Book Cadillac and the Fort Shelby... and anyone who thought otherwise was delusional.... but he doesn't post here anymore... so we never got to hear his comments...

But the MCS ain't going anywhere....
    Last edited by Gistok; January-01-13 at 09:07 PM.

There was a guy who used to post here 7 years ago named Brian... he was sort of a cocky fellow that thought that nothing on this planet could possibly save the Book Cadillac and the Fort Shelby... and anyone who thought otherwise was delusional.... but he doesn't post here anymore... funny that...
    Hey you're funny Gistok. You put down my "speculative" opinions, then state yours as expert fact. Now you're comparing me to someone you once knew 7 years ago, because you feel I too am a cocky fellow? Why, because I don't see it as you do. I told you how I feel about MCS, if you don't agree, that's your preragative. I'm sure I don't carry those expert credentials like you do.

Kinda like Karla Henderson "I have no knowledge of what it takes or at what point a building becomes where it will never be brought back so lets make it easy and say if it does not have boards on it ,demolish it.

So she then becomes Detroit's building dept head honcho,no building experience required.

If you are around historic properties a lot and have some experience in the building trades you can kinda overlook the mess and look at what is referred to as the bones,if they are solid or feasibly repaired then you can kinda determine feasibility,that is why most building departments hire somebody with actual building experience it kinda cuts the personal aspect out of it.

Which to me is what leads to opinions,the windows are broken so it needs to be torn down,or it will never be feasible to be rehabilitated so it needs to come down.Nothing wrong with opinions but until the pen and paper come out and engineering steps into the picture that's all they are.

In my opinion I think they should bulldoze anything built after 1939 .

Well whatever.... the MCS is NOT going to be torn down as long as it continues to get spruced up so that it doesn't remain an eyesore.

And since it was built exactly 100 years ago, and to specifications that far exceed today's standards... it will have a much longer shelf life than new buildings, and may be here for a longer time than many of us will be alive.

This is like the 5th thread in the last 3 years to bemoan the fact that its' still is here... well Detroit has more important issues to deal with than a massive and at times terrifying hulk.

Like with the interior of the former Michigan Theatre... people from around the world come to Detroit to visit it. It's an American version of the Roman Coliseum... except we don't have the millenia of history that Rome does...

... and anyone who thinks that tearing this building down will somehow help the area... has no evidence to support that conclusion...

Even if it takes another 50 years for a use to be found for it, as long as there is a roof on it, and protection from the elements... it's worth keeping.

Anyone who knows British Railway history knows that the grand Great Midland Hotel that was the entrance to London's St. Pancras Station was an 1870s built leviathan that was a hotel until closing in 1935. In the current millenium it once again was restored as a luxury hotel decades after moldering as a closed facility....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St_Pancras_Renaissance_London_Hotel_2011-06-19.jpg

Bemoan its' presence all you want... the MCS is not coming down anytime soon...

Actually, the new Gilbert building is targeted for November.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast