Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Voices in Your Head

This is the first time I've ever known this phenomena to be taken seriously. Gotta love blog-based faux-journalism, this sorta stuff used to get quashed by bitter, closed-minded editors!

Curious that this researcher found distinct differences between the continual voice-stream of negativity of confirmed schitzophrenics versus the still, quiet reply of encouragement, love, comfort, et al. that those who pray creatively often experience.

Count me as one who claims to have heard the latter...on 9/11, at least...on a jogging path around the park near my apartment in North Hollywood.

Cheers!

Julian Jaynes explored this subject very deeply in The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind. It's the best book I've ever read. He even goes into the brain physiology involved.

Julian Jaynes Society
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-30-12 at 10:41 AM.

The voices in your head are calling
    stop wasting your time, there's nothing coming
    only a fool would think someone could save you
    The men at the factory are old and cunning
    you don't owe nothing so boy get running
    it's the best years of your life they want to steal
    -JS

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The voices in your head are calling
    stop wasting your time, there's nothing coming
    only a fool would think someone could save you
    The men at the factory are old and cunning
    you don't owe nothing so boy get running
    it's the best years of your life they want to steal
    -JS
    What a depressing concept from JS [[?)! Rather than expect someone else to save you try -

There is a tide in the affairs of men.
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat,
    And we must take the current when it serves,
    Or lose our ventures.
    -WS

Last edited by coracle; December-31-12 at 08:44 AM.

considering that that quote was about the opportunities a civil war presents and spoken by a man who murdered his best bud, creating a power vacuum, I'll stick with Joe, whose quote was about not getting stuck in the machine

The voices in my head are much less poetic.

But I think they may have a better sense of humor.

Voices in your head. Thoughts? A normal daily brain function? Intelligence?

Thoughts and thoughts systems. There are two. One is a system of fear-based thoughts, the other love based thoughts. YOU decide each day everyday which thoughts you project and manifest. Thought of suffering or thoughts of healing...

It is quite possible to listen to God's Voice all through the day without interrupting your regular activities in any way. The part of your mind in which truth abides is in constant communication with God, whether you are aware of it or not. It is the other part of your mind that functions in the world and obeys the world's laws. It is this part that is constantly distracted, disorganized and highly uncertain.

The part that is listening to the Voice for God is calm, always at rest and wholly certain. It is really the only part there is. The other part is a wild illusion, frantic and distraught, but without reality of any kind. Try today not to listen to it. Try to identify with the part of your mind where stillness and peace reign forever. Try to hear God's Voice call to you lovingly, reminding you that your Creator has not forgotten His Son.

-ACIM

...just sayin'....
    Last edited by MizMotown; January-07-13 at 01:11 PM.

Well the voices in my head after reading through this thread are very much a soothing, benign evocation of what might be yours, my friends. I am with you and you are with me, a gentle camaraderie.

Most of us have had an experience that somehow, all of a sudden, something feels different. It is not necessarily that the outer circumstances or the world changes, but something in me feels different. I know I am not the one who did it, but something in me must have done it, because it happened in me. That "something" would be the presence of the Holy Spirit or Jesus, [[OR TRUTH, OR LOVE, OR HIGHER POWER, HIGHER-SELF, AWARENESS...WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT!!!!! It does not matter whether one identifies that loving or peaceful presence with a specific name—the experience is authentic.

Trust THAT thing!!!
    Last edited by MizMotown; January-22-13 at 12:08 PM.

The other day my wife was yelling at me about something and I never heard her. Sometimes this also happens with my boss.
    Is it fair to assume they are both nuts?

My voices just keep repeating the same word over and over..... dough-nuts.

No one has ever lived who has not experienced some light and some thing. No one, therefore, is able to deny truth totally, even if he thinks he can.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    No one has ever lived who has not experienced some light and some thing. No one, therefore, is able to deny truth totally, even if he thinks he can.
    Wait...what?

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this earlier but there's a very good Kafkaesque story by Paul Ableman called I hear voices. A partial copy of the book can be found at Google Books. It's pretty darn good if you're into that kind of strange stuff.