Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rob Parker no longer a Detroit sports writer?...

This isn't meant to set off more stink about Parker's dumb comment about Robert Griffin III. I'm just curious if Parker had left Detroit for ESPN, and if so, when did he leave?

Did he write [[or still writes) for the News or the Free Press? While living in Detroit, I enjoyed his Sunday comments and somewhat iconoclastic persona on TV after Lions games.

Does he still appear on Detroit TV?

C'moooooon!

Rob Parker-MORON!!
    While I do not always agree with him, Terry Foster should be the commentator on ESPN. At least he is well prepared and has a clue!

Sports section? Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-12 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    This isn't meant to set off more stink about Parker's dumb comment about Robert Griffin III. I'm just curious if Parker had left Detroit for ESPN, and if so, when did he leave?

Did he write [[or still writes) for the News or the Free Press? While living in Detroit, I enjoyed his Sunday comments and somewhat iconoclastic persona on TV after Lions games.

I don't think that Rob Parker is still around locally. I know that he doesn't write for the Detroit News or Free Press.

I have to also say that Rob Parker is the dumbest sports writer in Detroit history.

He actually wrote a column in early 2006 stating that Dave Dombrowski was a worse GM than Matt Millen.

He also wrote a column that was very critical of the Tigers signing Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones during the 05-06 offseason.

He also wrote a column stating that the Tigers should have made a trade with the Rangers for ARod in 2004, instead of rebuilding the team with draft picks and common sense baseball moves.

I can't think of any person on earth who knows less about baseball than Rob Parker.

He's lucky he still has a job with ESPN. He just got a 30 day suspension. I think he still writes a column in one of the Detroit papers periodically, not sure. He also opened a hot dog restaurant in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He's lucky he still has a job with ESPN. He just got a 30 day suspension. I think he still writes a column in one of the Detroit papers periodically, not sure. He also opened a hot dog restaurant in Detroit.
    Where is his restaurant at? Is it a Coney Island?

Shollin Guest

Rob Parker was fired by the Detroit papers. He never cared about Detroit anyways. He's always been trying to leverage a national gig.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Rob Parker-MORON!!
    While I do not always agree with him, Terry Foster should be the commentator on ESPN. At least he is well prepared and has a clue!
    Actually that's why he's perfect for ESPN this is the network that hired Skip Bayless

Rob does some work for channel 4 on Sunday night sports show. I think he is also doing some freelance work around town. He also has that hot dog shop on the West Side. He tries to be more controversial on ESPN First Take than either Skip Bayless or Stephen A Smith but it seems he can't do it without crossing the line, something neither Skip or Stephen A does.

More a general comment than anything, but why are sports writers, in general, so f%cking obnoxious? I mean, across the board it's almost nothing but smug, pridefully ignorant .........s. I mean, they are collectively bad enough that you sometimes pull for the target of their ire, and most athletes can be pretty big jerks, themselves.

He was on with Stoney way back in the day on 1130AM.Afternoon drive time helped me get home from A2 everyday.There was an ESPN Show "The Fabulous Sports Babe".As Stoney was doing a straight informative interview,Rob starting cutting them both off and started asking about her weight,why are you so heavy,do you find it hard to be a fat chick in an athletic setting.Stoney was speachless for once and she hung up.Mr. Parker was suspended.I knew then,as one smart-ass to another,that he will always be like this and most likely has always been.ESPN knew what they were getting....

Rob Parker- journalist? Fat chance. The man had absolutely no right nor tact in questioning RG3's "blackness". Talk about blatant race baiting. Count this and other numerous instances where he speaks with his mouth and ends up apologizing his ass off later. What about his Rod Marinelli/ son-in-law flub? What about the outright lie about Kirk Cousins supposedly involved in a fight in East Lansing? How about calling Hank Aaron a coward? ANd let's not forget his other blatant racist remark about college players Tyler Hansbrough and Kevin Love failing in the NBA, because they are white.

If the man had any tact, sensibility, class or journalistic integrity- he wouldn't have to apologize so many many times. Just report the news and quit trying to be the news. One can still discuss race issues and other things within sports without being such a smarmy wise ass.

Anyone remember Terry Bradshaw once saying "You know, Rob, you're an idiot. You're just a flat idiot."? I agree with him 110% and if I never saw or heard his whiny ass on radio/ TV [[local or national) again I'd be more than fine with it. The majority of the man's opinions are moronic and without any merit.

... I'm just curious if Parker ...

to answer your title question "...no longer a Detroit Sports Writer?" id have to say was he EVER a sports WRITER?

Rob Parker figured out long ago that he did not have the talent to compete with other sports writers/commentators, so he turned to shock sports. He purposely writes/says outrageous things to stay relevant and it works for him. How many other sports journos get a thread on DetroitYes.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Rob Parker figured out long ago that he did not have the talent to compete with other sports writers/commentators, so he turned to shock sports. He purposely writes/says outrageous things to stay relevant and it works for him. How many other sports journos get a thread on DetroitYes.
    Great observation ! problem is he isn't as good as fellow shock writers Jason Whitlock, or Stephen A Smith. Parker could go the curmudgeonly route but I don't think he could do any better than Drew Sharp. Eventually Parker will say something of such a personal nature non-related to sports that he will cross the line again. Its just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Great observation ! problem is he isn't as good as fellow shock writers Jason Whitlock, or Stephen A Smith. Parker could go the curmudgeonly route but I don't think he could do any better than Drew Sharp. Eventually Parker will say something of such a personal nature non-related to sports that he will cross the line again. Its just a matter of time.
    As much as I disagree with Drew Sharp, Rob Parker's a lot worse than Sharp. How many times does Parker have to shrink back like the little punk that he is and have to offer up some sort of apology for his words or actions? All one has to do is look at all of the other fine journalists in town and see how many times they have to make amends for their words.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Mitch Albom got some attention for "non" sports writing.

I see that Rob Parker is still on Sports Final Edition on WDIV on Sunday nights but left the Detroit News a few years ago.

I don't watch talk shows on sports, politics, or whatever to have my worldview stroked. I watch such shows for entertainment. Parker may be bombastic at times, but I always enjoyed his presence in the Detroit sports scene. [[Dino Costa on Sirius Radio also serves in that regard, someone that I don't often agree with but, none the less, an entertainer.)

I see that Rob Parker is still on Sports Final Edition on WDIV on Sunday nights but left the Detroit News a few years ago.

I don't watch talk shows on sports, politics, or whatever to have my worldview stroked. I watch such shows for entertainment. Parker may be bombastic at times, but I always enjoyed his presence in the Detroit sports scene. [[Dino Costa on Sirius Radio also serves in that regard, someone that I don't often agree with but, none the less, an entertainer.)
    I'm not sure I understand here.

Now I watch the TV news & read the newspapers for information. I also watch my sports for entertainment. I'm not exactly sure what and where a bombastic fool like Rob Parker fits into either scenario. Is he breaking down the plays and having an informed opinion? Because if he is, then he's missed that boat as well.

I have no issues disagreeing with a pundit when they can bring solid facts to the table. Guys like Mike Valenti, Sean Baligian, Mike Stone,the late Tom Kowlaski, and old school guys like Al Ackerman could bring their arguments to the table- but they also had enough stats and things to back up their points of view.

Rob Parker seems to delight at the notion of being the news as opposed to reporting on it or having an intelligent view upon it. That's the biggest sin right there and in my opinion should have no view on things sports other than as a racist muck raker.

And as far as being any sort of media celebrity, his radio voice is annoyingly whiny [[how many times has he been heard to emit that "C'mooooun [insert person across the table's name here]" and just on visual appeal- he's got a face for the telegraph.
    Last edited by Thruster315; December-30-12 at 06:48 PM.

and just on visual appeal- he's got a face for the telegraph.

Lol, very true, however he did date Pam Oliver so give him props for that.

I found him to be somewhat humorous with Mark Wilson as Parker and the Man on various local radio stations. Maybe it was the chemistry between the two, or the open format, but they could be entertaining.

Now canned from ESPN:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

He really didn't deserve to be at that gig for those boneheaded comments. Quite honestly, quit saying crap to make news and then only weeks later after a public outcry- offer up some lame ass excuse of an apology.

And not that I'm an ESPN slappy because they hire guys like Matt Millen to comment on football but on this incident alone, Parker needed to be shown the door.

He's always made his mark by pushing things too far. Seems every year he's getting canned for something.

I think he's running out of bridges to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And not that I'm an ESPN slappy because they hire guys like Matt Millen to comment on football but on this incident alone, Parker needed to be shown the door.
    Millen may have been a lousy leader for the Lions front office, but he does qualify to comment on football. Anyone who was an all-american linebacker and won a few super bowls obviously knows a bit about the game. He does know what he's talking about, which is a lot more than can be said for many sports 'journalists'. I think many of us Lions fans cringe when he's in the booth, but for me it's because of his failures with the Lions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast