Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Owning a shotgun in Detroit?

Hi All,

Since I plan to take advantage of Michigan's excellent hunting options, I'm bringing back my shotgun from my parents' home in South Dakota. While the firearm's already in the federal database, I'm not sure what else I need to do in order to have it legally registered in the city.

My assumption is that only handguns need to be filed with the DPD, but if any of you have experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate your help!

No need to register long guns and shitguns, best i could tell from when i researched it.

For referend, we have a 18.5" Remington 12ga under our bed, and I keep the longer hunting barrel in the basement with my tools.

Only handguns require registration in Michigan.

if the guns were legally owned and registered in SD, then that's good enough, unless they were registered to someone else's name.