Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Police Fail Video

Detroit police need to create a better plan to detour crowds because the cowardly way they have repeatedly used the same tactics always results in more mayhem. I'm not saying that the youth are not at fault at all but the police can handle these situations without adding to the situation.

Shollin Guest

I don't get it. What did the cops do wrong and what were all the people celebrating about?

How about some background on what's going on here? When? Where? Etc.

I agree, blocking off the street and running sirens does nothing to address a crowd on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I don't get it. What did the cops do wrong and what were all the people celebrating about?
    Cops go wrong in trying to break up the crowd by spraying mase in kids faces instead of trying to break up a crowd by simply talking to them telling them to leave. Cops in Detroit try to put on this enforcer act when they pull up when they are really more scared of you than you are of them, hence the mase.

Shollin Guest

Something's missing. The video shows the crowd heading toward the street, then it cuts and has the cops already there. Something was edited out of the video between the people on the sidewalk and the police arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    How about some background on what's going on here? When? Where? Etc.

I agree, blocking off the street and running sirens does nothing to address a crowd on the sidewalk.
    looks like it was outside the Masonic Temple. but beyond that...why did a gun need to be part of it? why is a gun the beginning and usually the end of a conflict?

Was it involving a dispute over who won the who-can-misspell-the-most-words-without-getting-caught-feigning-illiteracy contest?

Sincerely. Honestly.

There are too many misspellings to not raise that question.

Is this some weird attempt to mock the participants as being illiterate?
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-28-12 at 12:00 AM.

I agree with Shollin, the video was definitely edited. Probably the frames where the crowd was mf'n the police. A crowd like that one needs police presence. The person who shot the video, wrote the narrative, needs to go back to school.

This video is pretty much meaningless. A crowd starts acting like wild animals and then the cops show up and disperse the mob. What exactly is the problem?

Imagine all the indignashun that these hoods feel cuz the sirens are just a little louder than they are... just...

At least the video shows the Detroit police trying to do their job instead of blatantly doing things other than their jobs. Honestly, for anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence this video only makes the maker of this footage look like a complete fool.

Quote Originally Posted by BLGaughan View Post
    Yes, because I'm sure a large group of teenagers yelling and throwing up gang signs would immediately and peaceably disperse at the request of a police officer.

It is spelled M-A-C-E... dolt.
    It's possible ...dummkopf

Originally Posted by BLGaughan
    Yes, because I'm sure a large group of teenagers yelling and throwing up gang signs would immediately and peaceably disperse at the request of a police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    It's possible ...dummkopf

While it may be possible for the Detroit police to disperse this type of crowd peacefully, wouldn't you say the odds are strongly against them? These brave men and women police officers face dangerous, frightening, and certainly life threatening situations as a daily occurrence. I can't say that I can blame them for being cautious with their lives.

It appears as if that crowd is farly large while there were only a couple of officers on the scene at first. They were dealing with a lot of young men and women throwing gang signs, fighting each other and generally acting in a threatening manner. The odds of that crowd just falling over themselves to follow a police officers orders are slim to none. An attempt to do this peacefully by requesting these people to break it up and go their separate ways probably wasn't feasible at that point.

So the fact that the police maced these guys, and took off for cover once gunfire rang out; shouldn't be some sort of spectacle for all the people with a f*&k the police mentality to make Detroit police officers look bad. Their bosses do a good enough job at doing that. A large part of the Detroit police beat officers are good people that care about the people and the city that they are grossly underpaid to risk their lives to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwhite View Post
    Originally Posted by BLGaughan

While it may be possible for the Detroit police to disperse this type of crowd peacefully, wouldn't you say the odds are strongly against them? These brave men and women police officers face dangerous, frightening, and certainly life threatening situations as a daily occurrence. I can't say that I can blame them for being cautious with their lives.

It appears as if that crowd is farly large while there were only a couple of officers on the scene at first. They were dealing with a lot of young men and women throwing gang signs, fighting each other and generally acting in a threatening manner. The odds of that crowd just falling over themselves to follow a police officers orders are slim to none. An attempt to do this peacefully by requesting these people to break it up and go their separate ways probably wasn't feasible at that point.

So the fact that the police maced these guys, and took off for cover once gunfire rang out; shouldn't be some sort of spectacle for all the people with a f*&k the police mentality to make Detroit police officers look bad. Their bosses do a good enough job at doing that. A large part of the Detroit police beat officers are good people that care about the people and the city that they are grossly underpaid to risk their lives to protect.
    Watching the DPD in action doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I agree, I just think we should consider the full spectrum of what they deal with before we come down so hard on them in this type of situation. At least they didn't go in with guns blazing, killing a bunch of people that didn't need to die. Maybe they didn't put too much thought on what to do in this case, but maybe that was the best thing they could come up with. [[which also wouldn't surprise me too much either though lol)

We really need the whole story before we can make judgement on the matter

just my .02
    Last edited by kcwhite; December-28-12 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added a thought

I think the only FAIL in this video is the idiot firing shots. This happens way to often down here, and for what? Keeping it real?

If i was a cop there i would use billy clubs and blood as a scare tactic.

Ghetto culture at its best when shots ring out but before that it is just people having fun. No need to blame police for doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post

Detroit police need to create a better plan to detour crowds because the cowardly way they have repeatedly used the same tactics always results in more mayhem. I'm not saying that the youth are not at fault at all but the police can handle these situations without adding to the situation.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Ghetto culture at its best when shots ring out but before that it is just people having fun. No need to blame police for doing their job.

It's all fun and games till someone gets disrespected.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I was quite impressed by DPD's actions. I saw a crowd. Video didn't show what got the cops to disperse, but gunfire erupting later says they knew trouble was afoot. Sirens to disrupt communication in the crowd. Mace later to move them along. Not too much it appeared. Good restraint. Later, the crowd was dispersed.

In the face of gunfire, DPD stayed calm and did their job. I feel much better.

I think the illiterate video creator has it all wrong. There was probably nothing DPD could have done right in their eyes.

Great job, DPD.