Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ...As far as how people across the country feel about the city, recently I think people feel so sorry for Detroit to the point where it's not even worth joking about the city any more....
    I think there's a lot of truth to that bolded phrase. At some point we all identify with each other and so can no longer stand to watch the suffering of others.

No. People, who have not lost their humanity, do not hate Detroit.

Real constructive thread you started here, Strong. Let's just keep these arguments raging for generations to come!

As an outsider, I do not hate Detroit. I have not been there so I can't really hate it. I think a lot of people look at it with either pity or contempt, though. Pity that it's so rundown in a lot of places. Contempt that it seems to have such bad leadership over the years. Any city that has the bad publicity of a Kwame Kilpatrick scandal [[for example) is going to receive negative feedback.

I love St. Louis and visit it pretty often. It also has kind of a bad reputation and it is an awesome city. So I know that reputation is not all there is to a city. However, having read some news reports about Detroit, I can't help but wonder if some of its problems are due to its leadership. If a city doesn't have good leadership it's hard to escape a downward spiral.

Detroit has good and bad qualities, but the media mostly focuses on the bad qualities, and there's a lot there to focus on. So it's no wonder people have bad expectations of Detroit. When most of the publicity is bad, what do people expect?

I don't think the bad publicity for Detroit is anything new. It's probably been happening for decades. My Dad said he would get catalogs as a kid [[early 1970s) and the catalogs sold guns and weapons. Any weapon would have a note on it that said "not sold in Detroit or surrounding suburbs." So apparently Detroit's reputation is not new.

Suburbanites hating the city is probably not exclusive to Detroit. I have heard of the same thing in St. Louis, particularly among the Middle Aged and older. St. Louis is better than it used to be [[Escape From New York was filmed in St. Louis in 1981 and it looked pretty bombed out then. It's a lot better now). So the kids of the Boomers who left probably tend to have a more negative view of the city. Many of them just come for a sporting event and leave, not realizing the great places they are missing.
    Last edited by LeannaM; December-28-12 at 02:40 AM.

Any thoughts on any of the Strong [[OP)?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-12 at 06:37 AM.

What a view! I'm coming to visit... LOL! Do you miss the availability good tasting of the water straight out of the tap down there. I have family in that area and they say for sure they miss the Great Lakes ample water. Many places the water is pretty yucky [[parts of California, New Mexico, Atlanta, Jersey, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    If this question is directed to me I moved to the beautiful state of New Mexico the Land of Enchantment. There are so many things I miss about Detroit and Michigan but there are more things that I don't miss. But when I sit on my front porch in Albuquerque and look at this beautiful sunset [[picture below) I can honestly say I don't miss Detroit or Michigan that much.

Attachment 17648

Precisely. I am black and go in and out of the suburbs almost daily relative to employment and commerce as needed. Everyone with reservations about living in Detroit isn't racist. And there are black racists as well as white racists. I met, known and worked with BOTH!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever denied that there are racists in metro Detroit, however, what many seem to obsessively posit here is that there is no justification for living in the suburbs OTHER than racism.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-12 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What a view! I'm coming to visit... LOL! Do you miss the availability good tasting of the water straight out of the tap down there. I have family in that area and they say for sure they miss the Great Lakes ample water. Many places the water is pretty yucky [[parts of California, New Mexico, Atlanta, Jersey, etc.)
    I haven't given a lot of thought about the water here. Whenever I've needed water it's always been available. As far as the taste they sell water here just like they do in Michigan. So I guess the answer to your question is no.

When one person in the forum writes ' Do People hate Detroit?' others will answer in a racial backlash! It's all black folks fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sadly I do think some believe this to be so.

And BTW I don't particularly mind you promoting things you do. Others here promote what they are doing and involved in. I am happy however you are doing it less in the third-person narrative [[shiller) style......

Are you partnering with an existing film company regarding your upcoming film... are you engaging any of the educational institutions or resources?
    It's only in on a occasion that I mention my film project and I'll do it even less in the future for I have a whole thread on Connect in Detroit.

Also, I have not partnered with anyone to produce my film and so far only a few crowd funders or people to have placed a order for the Dvd or purchased a patron ad as offered on my website www.strongdetroit.net so all the financial backing has been my personal funds but that's okay.

I think that everybody is right to a point.
    Detroiters hate what Detroit has become. Some blame the black establishment because it was blacks in power when the decline happen so is warranted but some is because the auto industry took such a step backwards and people didn't gear up another industry to replace it.
    Whites left Detroit after the riots and took many jobs and economic opportunity with them but I admit I understand that move when in some instance the mayor encouraged them to leave which was a huge mistake.
    Now, in regards to the racist theory. Many blacks don't like whites and at the same ask them to handouts and Many whites don't like blacks for the asking of handouts and the crimes we commit.
    On a national level the media hates Detroit and used us as the symbol of what's bad in urban America which created a national hate for the city.
    Well that brings us to the present, Detroit ain't gone anywhere and the lights are still on. We have some ugly neighborhoods which is a result of less population and we have some great neighborhoods and pockets in bad neighborhoods. We have some people who are making a difference both black and white folk. And, some might say that Detroit is making a comeback.
    So if my brothers could stop the violence and maybe a job with prayer could be the reason and people begin to take another perspective in their attitude then maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    On a national level the media hates Detroit and used us as the symbol of what's bad in urban America which created a national hate for the city.
    I don't want to comment on the racial aspect because there are enough flame wars on the forum about that.

I do want to comment on the media hating on Detroit, because they do. The eastern establishment [[which controls the media) hated Detroit once Detroit began to grow. They hated all of the nouveau rich making bundles of money off of the auto industry. They consider the decline of the domestic industry and the disaster of Detroit to be a good comeuppance. Note they don't hate on the other failed "black" cities like Newark, Camden, Gary, and East St Louis.

You didnt want to comment on the racial aspect because...

But your allusion to failed black cities is strange, because...

I dont think other american cities wish ill on Detroit nor do they hate it. I think folks usually want it to get better not worse. New Yorkers dont love or hate on places like Camden and Gary because they are not on anybody's radar so to speak, which is sad. Detroit is a major city and thus, it is more of a spectacle of what can go wrong with american cities and towns, predominantly black or white in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When one person in the forum writes ' Do People hate Detroit?' others will answer in a racial backlash! It's all black folks fault!
    Where are you reading that? The only argument I see here is if those in the suburbs hate Detroit. You're not implying there are only white people in the suburbs are you? Wouldn't that be..well racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I don't want to comment on the racial aspect because there are enough flame wars on the forum about that.

I do want to comment on the media hating on Detroit, because they do. The eastern establishment [[which controls the media) hated Detroit once Detroit began to grow. They hated all of the nouveau rich making bundles of money off of the auto industry. They consider the decline of the domestic industry and the disaster of Detroit to be a good comeuppance. Note they don't hate on the other failed "black" cities like Newark, Camden, Gary, and East St Louis.
    I was using the other failed cities as a comparison that the media save their vitriol for Detroit. One of the reasons the coastal folks [[on both sides) went for foreign cars in a big way when they became available, just another way to stick it to "Detroit" .

I live in the DC Metro area. Presently, by Silver Spring. Anyhow, the coast foreign car buyers also like to claim that those like myself who buy from Ford, GM or Chrysler are racist against the Japanese. As part of my job, I research patents and technical literature for engine and transmission control algorithms. I would say that maybe one name out of a thousand published by Toyota has a non-Japanese author. "Racist" Ford, on the other hand, reads like the UN. Hell, Ed Wellborn, the head of design for Cadillac and a big factor in my next purchase - an ATS, is an African American. I have to agree that their is a sort of pathological anti-Detroit mentality on the East Coast. It gets more absurd. My brother works for NAVSEA and, due to the cost of the wars, the USN has to find ways to keep ship building costs down. He told me that the engineers they get from Metro Detroit are saving the Navy. My uncle who owned an injection molding firm had a good saying "he who does the most with the least wins". In DC that becomes "he who gets the most something for doing nothing gets his name on a building".

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I live in the DC Metro area. Presently, by Silver Spring. Anyhow, the coast foreign car buyers also like to claim that those like myself who buy from Ford, GM or Chrysler are racist against the Japanese. As part of my job, I research patents and technical literature for engine and transmission control algorithms. I would say that maybe one name out of a thousand published by Toyota has a non-Japanese author. "Racist" Ford, on the other hand, reads like the UN. Hell, Ed Wellborn, the head of design for Cadillac and a big factor in my next purchase - an ATS, is an African American. I have to agree that their is a sort of pathological anti-Detroit mentality on the East Coast. It gets more absurd. My brother works for NAVSEA and, due to the cost of the wars, the USN has to find ways to keep ship building costs down. He told me that the engineers they get from Metro Detroit are saving the Navy. My uncle who owned an injection molding firm had a good saying "he who does the most with the least wins". In DC that becomes "he who gets the most something for doing nothing gets his name on a building".

The head of design at Chrysler is also an african american of haitian origin; Ralph Gilles.

Cool! I will be checking it out and I wish you the best with the project. Z341

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    ...I have not partnered with anyone to produce my film and so far only a few crowd funders or people to have placed a order for the Dvd or purchased a patron ad as offered on my website www.strongdetroit.net so all the financial backing has been my personal funds but that's okay.

I was using the other failed cities as a comparison that the media save their vitriol for Detroit. One of the reasons the coastal folks [[on both sides) went for foreign cars in a big way when they became available, just another way to stick it to "Detroit" .
    I thought it was more about it was the seventies and gas shortages and imports came on the scene with cup holders and power windows and reliability that sipped gas,they filled the demand that Detroit could not at the time because they became to complacent,lots of foreign cars from the seventies are still on the road,what about Pinto's and Vegas etc. I am not sure other then the "Hungry? Eat your rice burner " bumper stickers it would seem there was a lot of support.Not a reason to dislike a city.

Hermod, your post isn't exactly correct. I don't think anyone intentionally "stuck it to Detroit". You have to look back @ the American automobile industry back then. The Unions had become very cocky. American designed products had serious reliability and longetivity issues. People were also becoming less enchanted with automobiles. They just wanted to get from point A to point B, EVERYTIME they turned the key. I remember shopping for a used car, finding an American product on the lot with 36K on the odometer, and thinking "my God, this thing is shot". People were running into the foreign car minority, driving automobiles with 70, 80, 90K miles on them, and with just routine maintenance. In essence, American automobile manufacturing had shot themselves in the foot. They thought their golden era would just go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The head of design at Chrysler is also an african american of haitian origin; Ralph Gilles.
    And he is as FINE as the Chrysler 300 one of the many Chrysler products that he has designed since joining Chrysler in 1992. And he attended the College of Creative Studies in Detroit and has and MBA from MSU!!!

Name:  gilles.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  12.5 KB
    Last edited by MidTownMs; January-01-13 at 09:47 PM.

^^^ Great accomplishment!

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    And he is as FINE as the Chrysler 300 one of the many Chrysler products that designed has designed since joining Chrysler in 1992. And he attended the College of Creative Studies in Detroit and has and MBA from MSU!!!

Name:  gilles.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  12.5 KB

Yep! And we can claim a bit of him too since he grew up in Montreal. He was born in New York and has dual citizenship.

hate is a pretty strong word. People in the suburbs dont hate Detroit. If anything they are indifferent to Detroit and are reluctant to visit for safety concerns. They wont patronize stores in Detroit. If they go downtown a ballgame its Freeway ->Parking Garage -> Freeway for many of em. If anything the news reinforces their decision to stay away and suburban $$ stays in the suburbs.

I am a bit [very!] far to give a opinion without being on the ground there

But i have noticed that Detroit is 75% black afro-american and 25% white population, and that crime is out of control, am i reading to much into this?

Is it drugs, lack of jobs, education or other/all/none?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    I am a bit [very!] far to give a opinion without being on the ground there

But i have noticed that Detroit is 75% black afro-american and 25% white population, and that crime is out of control, am i reading to much into this?

Is it drugs, lack of jobs, education or other/all/none?
    Right, mate.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast