Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default YOBS robbed 4 times since opening 2 months ago.. told to call WSUPD for help.

http://thesouthend.wayne.edu/article...nce-in-midtown

Just under two months ago the Solaka brothers, Michael and Peter, opened Ye Olde Butcher Shop on Woodward Avenue in Midtown Detroit. According to Lt. Dave Scott, a Wayne State University Policemen for 35 years, they began experiencing a series of nighttime burglaries soon after opening their doors. Because the Detroit Police Department has an average response time of 24 minutes, Scott advised the owners to contact their alarm company and instruct them to list WSUPD as first contact in circumstances where the intrusion alarm was activated.

Earlier this month, the gourmet supermarket was broken into for the 4th time this year. This time, the alarm company called WSUPD instead of 911, who responded to the call and arrived within 20 seconds of receiving the run. The offender didn’t even have enough time to enter the building before WSU police arrived, caught him pulling broken glass out of the window frame in an attempt to get in, and arrested him.
    Kudos to WSUPD for being competent.

Thanks to WSU policing, but This is RIDICULOUS - they've been robbed 4 times all ready!!! Really? They JUST OPENED!! I was going to go soon, but I don't want to walk up into a robbery, should someone get really brazen.

See this is the main reason there can not be a full service sit down gourmet restaurant on say Dexter and Davison, or a custom bicycle store on Grand River and Joy Road or thousands of other streets and locals in Detroit! They will be ROBBED TO DEATH! To closure... or worse someone murdered who might want to refuse or say no.

We will have nothing nice outside of downtown or a few strategic spots in Midtown because thieves at this point are plying their craft as a sport!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 11:23 AM.

When I first moved here, I lived for a few months in the summer with a friend who was a WSU student living in University Tower. I've lived in college towns all my life and have a couple of university-police friends elsewhere, so I'm accustomed to excellent university PDs, but damn- Wayne State PD has inhuman response times. I witnessed multiple instances where University Tower desk staff would call for help or intentionally trigger their alarm, and there would be a WSUPD squad car at the door in UNDER EIGHT SECONDS. They had to already be nearby to pull that off, but still. I never saw [[or heard an anecdote of) a response time longer than 35 seconds. Great men and women to talk to, as well.

People should just starting executing these thieves. The city will never make a come back if this continues.

Yeah, where it not for my living close to WSU I would have left Detroit long ago. I just can't be a captive in one of the 'zones' where police don't even drive by. The overlap we get from WSU policing ala Midtown has made my area better... so sad this happened to YOBS...

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I witnessed multiple instances where University Tower desk staff would call for help or intentionally trigger their alarm, and there would be a WSUPD squad car at the door in UNDER EIGHT SECONDS. They had to already be nearby to pull that off, but still. I never saw [[or heard an anecdote of) a response time longer than 35 seconds. Great men and women to talk to, as well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 10:17 AM.

So sad. I shop there almost daily.

And yes, WSPD is programmed in my phone in case I ever need it.

Newsflash: the thieves are getting younger = teens. Mostly young males. It is new thing to hit up residences when no one's home. It's called 'flash-rob' akin to 'flash-mob'!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    People should just starting executing these thieves. The city will never make a come back if this continues.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 11:20 AM.

Ditto on that...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    ...WSPD is programmed in my phone in case I ever need it.

This is one of the hings that needs to be overcome or Detroit will not have any of the stores that many on this site wax on forever about. You really think Apple or Target will put up with this?

Whole Paycheck should be a more inviting target and may take some of the heat off of YOBS.

Apple will be vigilant with shrink prevention [[transparent and obviously so). Even at their Troy store they have alot of deterrents. Ramp that up 10X power if you want to play in Detroit at this point. Thieves adore all things Apple!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This is one of the hings that needs to be overcome or Detroit will not have any of the stores that many on this site wax on forever about. You really think Apple or Target will put up with this?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 12:19 PM.

One of the quiet reasons that The downtown Hudson's store operation was shut down was that there was huge, unsustainable "shrinkage." that was in the early 1880'. Just a few years ago, Border's closed the Woodward St. Entrance to it's store in the Compuware Building. Customers had to make a circuitous entrance through the Compuware lobby. I assume the Wooward entrance closure was related to too much shrinkage [[shoplifting, usually). Also, probably too many pan-handlers trying to get warm.I will be interested to see how the new retailers address these problems.

Shollin Guest

I like how the OP makes it out that Detroit police are incompetent. Lets see WSU police the entire city under staffed and under funded and not just the small section in one of the better parts of the city and see how "competent" they are then.

This is 'precisely' why they closed the Woodward entrance. Phone stores in Detroit do not allow you to touch their actual phones or equipment only the plastic 'dummy' units. You touch only after you buy per what I observed just visiting a few of them.

I've worked retail work here and there in a pinch, and shrink is incredible. I was shopping in Livonia at a discount store [[$5 Below) and pilfered, opened packages were seen. I was like DANG even stuff $5 or less has to be stolen!! The cashier told me they been hit for the last 48 hrs and were struggling to stay on top of it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 12:21 PM.

Very good point. DPD officers are not all bad - I talk with police in my area and many are under the gun - literally. Mainly they are understaffed and over-worked and there are some really cheeful 'areas' in Detroit at this point that police just do not go into... for fear of their own safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I like how the OP makes it out that Detroit police are incompetent. Lets see WSU police the entire city under staffed and under funded and not just the small section in one of the better parts of the city and see how "competent" they are then.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 12:23 PM.

I can speak from personal experience on theft and police in the city. My family has five liquor stores [[very clean & up to date) and one gas station. The theft issue is bad and I have seen it everywhere. The mentality [[for the majority of 'patrons') of it is "they are making all this money, I'm gonna take this cause it doesn't hurt em so f*#% em". You times that by x amount it does hurt and when we catch people and kick them out they just come right back in. I agree with Zacha not all DPD are bad. Though I & my family have had real issues with a fair amount of them. When I was at WSU the police were very polite and on top of issues in the area. When I transfered to UM Ann Arbor I have gone inside a few businesses between classes [[CVS etc.) and even there I have seen people stealing small items. I usually do tell the clerk or manager thats present and it's dealt with. I wish it were that easy at my families businesses in Detroit though. I believe it is a mentality issue as well.

Whole Paycheck should be a more inviting target and may take some of the heat off of YOBS.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was going to go soon, but I don't want to walk up into a robbery, should someone get really brazen.
    So robberies are down 30 percent, but NOW you're not shopping in Midtown?

According to CompStat statistics collected over the past four years, crime has decreased significantly since 2008. Robbery and burglary has decreased 30 percent, auto theft is down 53 percent, larceny is down 37 percent and serious crime has reduced by 38 percent. Scott credits the strategies formed in the CompStat initiative with the success of the WSUPD in annually lowering crime statistics.

Thank you so much for commenting as a merchant! I am sure you've seen alot and YES the "they [You] are making all this money, I'm gonna take this cause it doesn't hurt em [you] so f*#% em [YOU!]" is the prime justification is APPLIED to a merchant, stranger, neighbor, a relative, or whatever it seems... too bad it is not just applied to the $200,000 and above greedy right-wing crowd only! *sarcasm*

The code of of street-redistribution-program 'give me' mentality helps no one really.

It's just standard crabs in a barrel, that no one can really get out of... including the thieves: Go steal the big screen tv, then have it stolen from you next month. Snatch an Iphone, have yours snatched, on and on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbound View Post
    I can speak from personal experience on theft and police in the city. My family has five liquor stores [[very clean & up to date) and one gas station. The theft issue is bad and I have seen it everywhere. The mentality [[for the majority of 'patrons') of it is "they are making all this money, I'm gonna take this cause it doesn't hurt em so f*#% em".
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-25-12 at 07:33 AM.

I was speaking from frustration - You dig? I probably will shop there but have not had the opportunity yet. Plenty of my money and for sure my taxes go into the area as I have lived near Midtown over 25 years and Detroit, well, all of my life.

The lower crime stats you cite is the ONLY reason in remain in the area.

I am thankful [[as I already stated) that we get the overflow of WSU policing to help keep the general area better.

Is the lighting good in back of the building?

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    So robberies are down 30 percent, but NOW you're not shopping in Midtown?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-24-12 at 10:35 PM.

This is awful! Kudos to WSU police, but 24 minutes from the DPD is terrible. Detroit seems like the only place in America where your taxes do absolutely nothing. People always tell me how it must suck that I pay slightly higher taxes but my city will at least scrub the grafitti off my house and respond to a noise complaint in minutes and have near instant response if I'm a victim of a crime.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...obbery+detroit

see where a CPL holder stopped a robbery or assault of some kind at a coney island [[i think. its been a while since i read the entire 6 page thread)...

as more of these things take place, hopefully the piece of crap thugs will move on...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...obbery+detroit

see where a CPL holder stopped a robbery or assault of some kind at a coney island [[i think. its been a while since i read the entire 6 page thread)...

as more of these things take place, hopefully the piece of crap thugs will move on...
    It says I don't have permission to enter that page. What's your password and ID?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree. Why don't the elected officials do something to protect the retail and business district that are not connected to the Illitches. It is strange that YOBS had been having trouble since the Solaka brothers showed interest in opening a market in that spot. First, they had trouble with the landlord who had filed bankruptcy or something to that manner; and now these string of robberies. Lafayette Foods haven't had any reported bad luck such as YOBS had been experiencing. I am beginning to wonder if these robberies are being helped by someone on the inside. The Solaka brothers should rent out the space above the store to stay the nights with a shotgun. The positive out of this is that Wayne State will help patrol the area where the store is. Grosse Pointe had been experiencing sucessful breakins recently so this is not only a Detroit phenomenon. Apple and other stores could still be sucessful downtown with private security or beefed up police patrol in the downtown midtown area.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    One of the quiet reasons that The downtown Hudson's store operation was shut down was that there was huge, unsustainable "shrinkage." that was in the early 1880'. Just a few years ago, Border's closed the Woodward St. Entrance to it's store in the Compuware Building. Customers had to make a circuitous entrance through the Compuware lobby. I assume the Wooward entrance closure was related to too much shrinkage [[shoplifting, usually). Also, probably too many pan-handlers trying to get warm.I will be interested to see how the new retailers address these problems.
    Probably with their own security such as Dan Gilber is doing in the downtown area. I had always felt that if police was walking the beat or riding it on bicycles Borders would not had to close it's Woodward entrance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast