Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Gamecoland

Default Gamecoland

Is Gamecoland still open?

are you talking about Gamestop stores? They're all over the place. Too much overlap, IMO...

All the Babbages/Electronics Boutiques/Funcoland/Software Etc... became GameStops or EBGames, which are the same company.

I recall seeing a marquee for a place in Eastpointe on Gratiot and Sprenger that read Gamcoland.

Maybe that's what the OP is referring to...?

I never heard of Gamecoland but I do remember Funcoland at Bel-Air Plaza. But all of the Funcoland stores we're bought up by GameStop stores

Gamecoland was at WSU. I looked it up and it appears closed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Gamecoland was at WSU. I looked it up and it appears closed.
    Has anybody been there recently?

I don't play video games. okay maybe Tetris....

I don't know if it's open, but I found one in Detroit proper:

http://goo.gl/maps/2tjgm

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I don't know if it's open, but I found one in Detroit proper:

http://goo.gl/maps/2tjgm
    It's not, It's called HIALEAH DRIVE SUPERMARKET now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    It's not, It's called HIALEAH DRIVE SUPERMARKET now.
    Do they sell video games?

jk

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Do they sell video games?

jk
    I highly doubt it, the only supermarkets that sell video games around here are those various Meijer stores, Target stores, Walmart stores [[which Danny wouldn't recommend) and Kmart stores [[if you want to walk into a dusty time machine on the same trip). Other than that, I don't know any other supermarkets that sell video games.

And I just discovered another Gamecoland inside Laurel Park Place, maybe it's still open.

I'm not sure what Gamecoland is, but there are actually many Gamestops open in Detroit and Hamtramck. Just google them and they come up.

It seems like Gamecoland would be more successful now.
    Last edited by xrockerboy; February-04-17 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    Nice 5 year bump! That's some thread dedication.

I don't really have anything of substance to add. My last gaming console was a NES in 1987. Which was a step up from the Odyssey console I had before it. LOL.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-04-17 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    since Wayne State has more dorms.

Do people really return those when they rent them from the store? Or is it a buy-only set up? I see them, don't play vid game and thought they were like video stores......

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Do people really return those when they rent them from the store? Or is it a buy-only set up? I see them, don't play vid game and thought they were like video stores......
    My guess is any rental requires a credit/debit card, so if someone decides to "keep" a game, then they get charged whatever the store's retail price is.

Word mark: GAMECOLAND
    Status/Status Date: CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE
    1/22/2016
    Serial Number: 77270697
    Filing Date: 9/4/2007
    Registration Number: 3640413
    Registration Date: 6/16/2009
    Goods and Services: Electronic and video game controllers incorporated into exercise machines; Hand held joy stick units for playing video games; Interactive video game programs; Interactive video games of virtual reality comprised of computer hardware and software; Joysticks for video games; Player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; Video game cartridges; Video game discs; Video game interactive control floor pads or mats; Video game interactive hand held remote controls for playing electronic games; Video game interactive remote control units; Video game joysticks; Video game machines for use with external display screen or monitor; Video game machines for use with televisions; Video game software
    Mark Description: The mark consists of the word "Gamecoland", with the "co" in the middle of the word in blue, and the words "Game" and "land" in black. The word "Game" is written across a directional pad background design that is outlined in gray, with a blue outline inside the gray and with four directional arrows that are each in blue.
    Type Of Mark: TradeMark
    Published For Opposition Date: 4/1/2008
    Last Applicant/Owner: Gameco Land Inc.
    Farmington Hills, MI 48334
    Apparently they were located in Eastpointe also, but their Facebook page has nothing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I don't play video games. okay maybe Tetris....

My video game skills ended with Pong/Frogger.