Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about Scientology~Things that make you go "hmmmm"

I drive by the Church of Scientology building in Farmington Hills occasionally. Mostly never thought anything about it. But last week when I went by at night, I noticed that there was a lighted and decorated tree in the lobby, and a lighted wreath hanging on the front of the building.

This got my mind moving and I started wondering if those who believe in Scientology celebrate Christmas. I asked a few people, most of which thought that the answer to my question was "NO".

So then I wondered why the trappings of Christmas would be on their buildings.

Since I don't know much about Scientology, and don't right now have the time to research it, I thought I would turn to the DetroitYes! wealth of knowledge and see if anyone could help me answer this question.

Thanks for whatever knowledge is imparted...and I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Blessed Kwanzaa, or whatever holiday you celebrate...and a very Happy and Prosperus New Year!

Hi Blueidone... New Year... new picnic... new pudding!

Actually I can't answer that question... just glad Nicole Kidman got out of her marriage with you know who... and not get tangled up with that group...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Actually I can't answer that question... just glad Nicole Kidman got out of her marriage with you know who... and not get tangled up with that group...
    And Katie Holmes for that matter, same you know who...

Not sure about their traditions and habits, but it'll be coming soon to the old Ramond James building downtown. We should see Christmas decorations there in a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If God chooses to keep me on this earth and physically able to make it, there will be pudding at the picnic again this year! Cub was very disappointed that I didn't make any for the Holiday Dinner this year, so I have to make up for it.

Easy answer - withstanding the argumentation and debate put forth by some regarding the relevance of trees or that Christ was born December 25th in the first place!:

For some trees, baubles and lights et al are now more secular, items of commerce having lost their anchor to Christendom. Thus, there are some Christians that have dispensed with these artifacts as well. There are some believers in Christ and or Biblical teaching who do not participate in the December event at all.

In east Dearborn which has a large Muslim community there are lights and even some trees. And for sure Santa Clause has jumped the shark years ago. Hah!

But you ain't gonna see no crosses or nativity scenes!! [[double negatives intended)
    ----

That the CofS has these trees, and lights etc. on display come as no surprise to me... Tis' the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I drive by the Church of Scientology building in Farmington Hills occasionally. Mostly never thought anything about it. But last week when I went by at night, I noticed that there was a lighted and decorated tree in the lobby, and a lighted wreath hanging on the front of the building.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-22-12 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There are some believers in Christ and or Biblical teaching who do not participate in the December event at all.
    The Puritans outlawed the celebration of Christmas for many years and called it "Foolstide" in mockery. The familiar trappings of Christmas - the tree, the yule log, mistletoe [[a germanic symbol of male fertility that coincidentally is in the order "Santa​lales") and even dear old Santa were borrowed from Germanic pagan traditions - Santa was Odin [[holly's association with christmas is from the druids). Of course, Easter is really a fertility celebration from the symbols of fertility [[eggs, bunnies) to the name itself - the name of the Germanic goddess of the dawn

I thank everyone for the information...as usual, a wealth of it!

So, am I right that if we as a society hadn't created the trees and wreaths etc as the trappings of Christmas, the CofS members would not celebrate this particular holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The Puritans outlawed the celebration of Christmas for many years and called it "Foolstide" in mockery....

Precisely... this is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    The Puritans outlawed the celebration of Christmas for many years and called it "Foolstide" in mockery. The familiar trappings of Christmas - the tree, the yule log, mistletoe [[a germanic symbol of male fertility that coincidentally is in the order "Santa​lales") and even dear old Santa were borrowed from Germanic pagan traditions - Santa was Odin [[holly's association with christmas is from the druids). Of course, Easter is really a fertility celebration from the symbols of fertility [[eggs, bunnies) to the name itself - the name of the Germanic goddess of the dawn

I thank everyone for the information...as usual, a wealth of it!

So, am I right that if we as a society hadn't created the trees and wreaths etc as the trappings of Christmas, the CofS members would not celebrate this particular holiday?
    nope. it wouldn't even cross their minds

Ok...I get it. Thanks again for all the info! And Merry Christmas!

If God chooses to keep me on this earth and physically able to make it, there will be pudding at the picnic again this year! Cub was very disappointed that I didn't make any for the Holiday Dinner this year, so I have to make up for it.
    Speaking of which, haven't heard from Cub for a while and haven't seen much news on the website in a while. How's things going over there?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Speaking of which, haven't heard from Cub for a while and haven't seen much news on the website in a while. How's things going over there?
    The website problem is entirely on me. I had to take a leave of absence from GSCC to take care of my 96 yr old father. And on top of that have some of my own health issues. The website is my responsibility, so therefore it has been left alone for a while. After the New Year starts, I hope to get it back up and running with current information.

GSCC itself is doing well. I was at the Holiday Dinner for a few minutes and the place looks great, the people were all smiling and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food! The Computer Lab is up and running. There are kids who come by every day to do their homework and such.

Mark is always willing to show off our accomplishments, so please feel free to give him a call and arrange a tour. His number is 313-452-0684. I hope to get back into my role within the next few months.

The website problem is entirely on me. I had to take a leave of absence from GSCC to take care of my 96 yr old father. And on top of that have some of my own health issues. The website is my responsibility, so therefore it has been left alone for a while. After the New Year starts, I hope to get it back up and running with current information.

GSCC itself is doing well. I was at the Holiday Dinner for a few minutes and the place looks great, the people were all smiling and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food! The Computer Lab is up and running. There are kids who come by every day to do their homework and such.

Mark is always willing to show off our accomplishments, so please feel free to give him a call and arrange a tour. His number is 313-452-0684. I hope to get back into my role within the next few months.
    Hey Blueidone, sorry if I sounded like I was complaining about the web site. That wasn't my intention. I hope everything with you and your family are well. I've just followed the GSCC since I've been on this site because I think it's such a great project. I try, in a meager way to help when I can. Hope your holidays are well.