Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Road Raging Fox News Writer Arrested for Dragging a Cyclist Through Central Park

From Treehuger:

You may have heard this one before--a cyclist goes biking in New York City. Cyclist gets cut off by a driver who's irritated by having to share the road with cyclists. Cyclist rides up to driver at next stop, positions himself in front of the vehicle and tells him to please observe the speed limit. Driver rams cyclist and drags him 200 feet through Central Park. Driver is a writer for Fox News.

Okay, so that last part isn't necessarily relevant to the story, but it's all true. And the fact that the road raging driver works for Fox News has helped the story make headlines all over New York and the ever-trusty blogosphere. And let's just say it paints drivers who hate on cyclists in a rather unflattering light. That's an understatement...

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...gs-cyclist.php

One, I don't like Fox News.
    Two, with all the Lance Armstrong wannabes down here, don't think it hasn't crossed my mind of turning most of them into road pizza when they insist in riding in the middle of a busy thoroughfare at 8am or 5pm.
    Three, I do ride a bicycle at times but keep to the right as much as possible because I know what it's like to have some self-righteous clown clogging up the lane.
    Sure, it'd be nice to share the road but too many of these bicyclists have no concept of traffic rules or basic courtesy; not to say that many drivers do. I used to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but hardly anymore.
    I'm off my soapbox now.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    One, I don't like Fox News.
    Two, with all the Lance Armstrong wannabes down here, don't think it hasn't crossed my mind of turning most of them into road pizza when they insist in riding in the middle of a busy thoroughfare at 8am or 5pm.
    Three, I do ride a bicycle at times but keep to the right as much as possible because I know what it's like to have some self-righteous clown clogging up the lane.
    Sure, it'd be nice to share the road but too many of these bicyclists have no concept of traffic rules or basic courtesy; not to say that many drivers do. I used to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, but hardly anymore.
    I'm off my soapbox now.
    Since you're the expert on traffic laws and basic courtesy, then you know that bicyclists, as vehicle operators, are entitled to an entire lane of roadway.

Slower traffic keep to the right.

Slower traffic keep to the right.
    And those who are impatient, pass in the lane to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    And those who are impatient, pass in the lane to the left.
    And those whom obstruct or prevent the free flow of traffic...?

If I ever make it up there I'm bringing along a few tennis rackets or ping pong paddles.

PS: I always say that if you're not suffering from road rage then you're probably causing it.

PPS: On a more serious level, if walking or running on a sidewalk & see a bicyclist approaching, I will move to the side to give them room to pass by. In neighborhoods, I slow down & if safe to do so, give wide berth to people on bikes, esp if kids are involved. We know how predictable children are.
    Last edited by MoparDan; June-30-09 at 10:03 AM.

... with all the Lance Armstrong wannabes down here, don't think it hasn't crossed my mind of turning most of them into road pizza when they insist in riding in the middle of a busy thoroughfare at 8am or 5pm.
    Please don't hit them MoparDan.

Couple of weeks ago the wife and I were on a 25 mph residential street with 1 way traffic in each direction and both curbs were completely filled with cars. We came upon a painted cyclist who would not let us pass. So I patiently trailed him by about 20 feet [[approximately 2 car lengths) waiting until we reached a wide intersection where I could pass with care. At the intersection he began yelling at me to "get off his ass" repeatedly. I was so surprised I busted out laughing out loud. The indignant tone and emphasis he used when he said "get off my ass" was similar to the tone many a man has heard from a disinterested woman at a bar.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; June-30-09 at 02:16 PM.

Blarf Guest

These cyclists need to ride on the sidewalks if sidewalks exist.

Than they need to realize they are NOT Lance Armstrong.

I have been wondering about this for some time. Every Thursday, there are a group of 15 or more cyclist that meet up at the parking lot on Masonic and Jefferson. It is annoying that they ride in a "pack" as oppose to riding behind each other. If your driving behind them in the right lane and are not able to pass them on the left, your stuck. They seem to follow some sort of "rules" such as stopping at red light, but I'll be damned, if there is no traffic, they will continue right through it I just don't get what's wrong with the sidewalks. I find it to be a hazard and them a target for road rage.

Whenever I ride my bike, I see these people in cars who come into my lane on 4 lane roads as if we're supposed to share a lane. I don't see why they don't all drive on the sidewalk.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Whenever I ride my bike, I see these people in cars who come into my lane on 4 lane roads as if we're supposed to share a lane. I don't see why they don't all drive on the sidewalk.
    Last time I checked, streets were made for motor vehicles.

If you're going to ride your bicycle in the street, go the speed limit and maybe cars will respect your space.

Streets were originally made for horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Last time I checked, streets were made for motor vehicles.

If you're going to ride your bicycle in the street, go the speed limit and maybe cars will respect your space.

read the laws, blarf. it is illegal to ride bikes on the sidewalks. Roads are for cars and bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Since you're the expert on traffic laws and basic courtesy, then you know that bicyclists, as vehicle operators, are entitled to an entire lane of roadway.
    Not exactly true. In Michigan cyclists have the right to share most roads with motor vehicles, but must ride as far to the right of the road as practical [[Unless maintaining the same speed as other traffic). One can and should get a ticket for impeding traffic on a bicycle if they insist on riding in the middle on the lane and blocking traffic.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; June-30-09 at 03:58 PM.

Riding on the sidewalks is a great way to get run over .

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    One can and should get a ticket for impeding traffic on a bicycle if they insist on riding in the middle on the lane and blocking traffic.
    Which is stupid...Road's aren't merely for Vehicular Traffic, and the same rules that apply to a motor vehicle should apply to bicycles. Slower moving traffic stays to the right, pass on the left if/when the opportunity presents itself.

ccbatson Guest

Hitler was an avid fan of Gustav Mahler's music....are all people that like the same music Nazi's?

Are all people associated with Fox News perpetrators of vehicular assault of cyclists then?

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Which is stupid...Road's aren't merely for Vehicular Traffic, and the same rules that apply to a motor vehicle should apply to bicycles. Slower moving traffic stays to the right, pass on the left if/when the opportunity presents itself.
    Exactly their reasoning. Slow vehicles can also receive impeding tickets regardless of their lane of travel. Feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Please don't hit them MoparDan.

Couple of weeks ago the wife and I were on a 25 mph residential street with 1 way traffic in each direction and both curbs were completely filled with cars. We came upon a painted cyclist who would not let us pass. So I patiently trailed him by about 20 feet [[approximately 2 car lengths) waiting until we reached a wide intersection where I could pass with care. At the intersection he began yelling at me to "get off his ass" repeatedly. I was so surprised I busted out laughing out loud. The indignant tone and emphasis he used when he said "get off my ass" was similar to the tone many a man has heard from a disinterested woman at a bar.
    LOL I guess the guy was PMSing.
    I'm willing to bet he tailgates other bicyclists in his car though.
    Like I wrote, it's crossed my mind but I haven't done it. Yet.

The thing that would make this story more interesting, and a lot funnier, is if the cyclist works for NBC News.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Hitler was an avid fan of Gustav Mahler's music....are all people that like the same music Nazi's?

Are all people associated with Fox News perpetrators of vehicular assault of cyclists then?
    Felling a little defensive? Or just seeking attention?

Nobody here was even paying attention to that insignificant detail after the initial posting until you felt the need to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Exactly their reasoning. Slow vehicles can also receive impeding tickets regardless of their lane of travel. Feel better?
    Create designate bike lanes like those found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY and issues like these tend not to pop up, save for drivers who think that they OWN the road simply because they are in a 2-ton vehicle that can double as a weapon.

Why is it that the United States is so anti-cyclist?

so much for the "pack" of 15 that hog jefferson ave.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Create designate bike lanes like those found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY and issues like these tend not to pop up, save for drivers who think that they OWN the road simply because they are in a 2-ton vehicle that can double as a weapon.

Why is it that the United States is so anti-cyclist?
    We actually have a good number of bike lanes in the downtown area here; a lot of the buses even have racks on the front. Some of the freeways have enough room on the shoulder as well, although technically the bicyclists aren't supposed to be on them. But since Lance uses one called Loop 360 that has a lot of hills, it's pretty much opened the floodgates for others to bike on it. What I don't understand is why the majority insist on hugging the white line which demarks the right lane from the shoulder. In heavy traffic those guys are literally putting themselves in a position to become road bumps in a hurry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast