Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fairview Village History Publication

Sumas and I are proud to announce that our book, Horsepower, Men and Machines is published and available for sale through JEBA in hardbound and soft bound versions. This book covers the east area history from 1669, the French arrival, to the creation of Fairview Village, bounded by The Detroit River to Mack, Bewick to Cadieux.

It is an area history that shows the significance of how its horse and auto culture, politics, churches, individuals and Masonic influences converged to create the frame work to make Detroit the Automotive Capital. In addition, it features a multitude of never before published photos.

This book was the brain child of the President of the Village of Fairview Historical Society of which we were founding members. His research and dedication to this project was unwavering and truly outstanding.

Many thanks also to grants from MotorCities National Heritage Areas, Jefferson East Business Association and support from numerous other non-profits and individuals that made the publication of this history possible.

Distribution is currently available through Jefferson East Business Association, 14628 E. Jefferson, Detroit, MI 48215 or by phone 313 331-7939 Ext 310. The Soft cover is $34.00 and the Hard cover is $39.95. If shipping is required the fee is $7.50. On line purchases should be available mid-January.

I tried the phone number and the ext 310 but it just seems to cycle through the directory continuously, is there another number or do I have to just wait till its available online next month?

I believe the office is closed today. Do not know the reason why or why it does not go to voicemail. The office plans to be closed for the Christmas holiday week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Got it via the GPHS, thanks!

Author Event: Nick Sinacori: Horse Power, Men and Machines, Monday, January 14, 2013, 7pm. The Greater Clinton Township Historical Society hosts local historian and author Nick Sinacori for a discussion of his latest book Horse Power, Men and Machines covering Detroit at the juncture of the 19th and 20th Century. He explains how the influence of politics, money, horse racing, and religion combined to change Detroit's horse-based society into the Modern manufacturing and automobile era. The growth of the city coincided with the increase of individual transport from horses to bicycles to automobiles and the need for public transportation, all of which illustrated the need for good roads and progressive politics. Books available for purchase and signing. Free and open to the public. Reservations not required. The program takes place at the Clinton Macomb Library located at 40900 Romeo Plank Rd., Clinton Township. For more information: [[586)286-9173 or http://clintontwphistory.org/ or http://ctwphc.org

Congrats you two. I hope you both are well.