Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "From Belle Isle to 8 Mile: An Insider's Guide to Detroit" released

The first guide book to Detroit written in about 25 years arrived on shelves yesterday. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's over 400 pages and extremely thorough. It breaks up Detroit into 10 areas, covering over 1000 bars, restaurants, shops and cultural sites, and it includes a chapter on Hamtramck/Highland Park and on the suburbs.

It's available at City Bird in Midtown for $22.

Bought a few copies as gifts for family members out in the suburbs who are finally venturing into Detroit on a regular basis for the first time...well, since they moved from Detroit long ago.
    Last edited by TexasT; December-20-12 at 01:19 PM.

Book release party today!! Stop by City Bird [[on W. Canfield between Cass and Second) this evening after 5pm!!

First review: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...n_a_generation

Belle Isle to 8 Mile seems like it is leaving out a pretty big chunk of the city...

In all seriousness, this looks like a great, up-to-date resource! Might have cured my last minute holiday gift needs.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    Belle Isle to 8 Mile seems like it is leaving out a pretty big chunk of the city...

In all seriousness, this looks like a great, up-to-date resource! Might have cured my last minute holiday gift needs.
    It includes Rodin in Midtown, which just opened last Thursday, so yes, very up to date! I was impressed with that.

So does it include........uh......say, Mr. Fish, on E. Vernor [[or Vernor Highway, as it's known)? What about the Turkey Grill on Woodward? The Fish house on 2nd, in the little building north of the old Mr. Fo- Fo's? IMO, the best fried fish in town, if they're still open. Walt's on Jefferson...etc.

Just wondering how thorough it is [[but it might be very thorough, with even stuff in the 'hood, since the authors are Detroit kids.)

Regardless, I'll be buying one, or more. Nice to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Music View Post
    So does it include........uh......say, Mr. Fish, on E. Vernor [[or Vernor Highway, as it's known)? What about the Turkey Grill on Woodward? The Fish house on 2nd, in the little building north of the old Mr. Fo- Fo's? IMO, the best fried fish in town, if they're still open. Walt's on Jefferson...etc.

Just wondering how thorough it is [[but it might be very thorough, with even stuff in the 'hood, since the authors are Detroit kids.)

Regardless, I'll be buying one, or more. Nice to see it.

Turkey Grill and Walts are in it. Didnt see the fish places.