Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Electoral College next in the crosshairs?

I think we should get rid of the Electoral College in all states. Presidents be picked by country-wide popular vote.

Does anyone see any negatives in that?

I called this a couple days ago in another thread. Can't win elections fair and square? Too chickenshit to stand up the psychopaths, misogynists, and racists that make up what's left of your party? Manipulate the system till you win!

Hell, why not just abolish the Constitution and declare martial law? Whatever it takes, right?

I'm not impressed. They still lost the popular vote pretty handily. This blatant politicking isn't going to get them any fans. Plutocracy, racism, and religious fanaticism only have so many proponents.

"With the frustration of the current system—and the fact that almost everyone would agree proportional or CD is more representative and maybe more fair than the current winner-take-all—Republicans have a strong, righteous argument," Anuzis said. "However, the motivation would be viewed as being purely political since it hasn’t been done before."
    No, "the motivation would be viewed as being purely political" because you're only doing it in blue states. There are plenty of Democratic voters in, say, Atlanta or New Orleans or the Mississippi Delta who would probably like their presidential votes to count too. If this system is fairer than winner-take-all, why not implement it nationwide?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    I think we should get rid of the Electoral College in all states. Presidents be picked by country-wide popular vote.

Does anyone see any negatives in that?
    There are several issues with that approach. Population centers are heavily concentrated in a handful of states, leaving the vast majority of the country underrepresented in a popular vote. That may not seem like a problem to you if you live in one of those population centers, but you would view it differently if you didn't. In order to keep a cohesive federal system, all states need to feel like they have a say in the process or they will have no reason to remain part of that federal system.

I know it's popular on this board to call all conservatives racists, but that's not any more correct than calling all black people criminals, or all liberals homosexual, or any other vast number of stupid generalities I see posted on here and other places.

So a large part of this country is conservative and has different values than those in urban centers, but their beliefs need to be given weight or we could have another Civil War on our hands. I'm not speaking with hyperbole either, I could easily see a number of conservative states presenting quite a problem for the federal government if their populace feels that their states rights are being ignored.

Also remember that this country is not a Democracy - it is a Republic. A Republic means that each state is allowed to control its own laws for the most part, and that the federal government is only permitted to infringe on that in certain cases that violate federal law as called out by the Constitution. The Constitution is a contract between the federal government and the states, and if that contract is broken by either side then the contract is invalid.

Majority rule [[Democracy) can be a dangerous thing. Minorities should understand that better than anyone. There have to be provisions in law that protect minority viewpoints, and the electoral college is the system that was developed to protect states with a minority of the population.

Finally, the President is NOT your representative. Over the years we have begun to treat the office of the president as if he were King and that he represents us, but that's not what the office was meant for. The President is simply the head the Executive branch of Government and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Our actual representatives are in Congress - they are the ones that represent out interests, not the President. That's not his job. His job is to run the administrative business of the country and defend the country, not to represent the people of the country. We already have a branch of government that does that.
    Last edited by JVB; December-18-12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: misspellings and shitty grammar

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    There are several issues with that approach. Population centers are heavily concentrated in a handful of states, leaving the vast majority of the country underrepresented in a popular vote. That may not seem like a problem to you if you live in one of those population centers, but you would view it differently if you didn't. In order to keep a cohesive federal system, all states need to feel like they have a say in the process or they will have no reason to remain part of that system.
    As opposed to the system now where the whole election is decided by a handful of swing states? In this past election, your presidential vote was basically irrelevant unless you lived in Ohio, Florida, Virginia, or Colorado. There's a pretty big chunk of the country being "underrepresented" in this system too, no?

Also remember that this country is not a Democracy - it is a Republic. ...
    Fine post. Minority rights are important. The rush to popular vote for President needs to be very carefully thought through. I see flaws in the EC, but it does work to limit popular mood swings. In this, it is a better tool than campaign finance reform. It keeps more power in the political machine... and thus encourages the machine to respond to voters.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    As opposed to the system now where the whole election is decided by a handful of swing states? In this past election, your presidential vote was basically irrelevant unless you lived in Ohio, Florida, Virginia, or Colorado. There's a pretty big chunk of the country being "underrepresented" in this system too, no?
    Without the electoral college we wouldn't even have swing states, we would have swing cities. The electoral system isn't perfect, but it at least attempts to make the views of the most amount of people as relevant as possible, without being too unfair to the views of the majority.

Besides, like I said the President is not your representative. That's not his job.

Without the electoral college we wouldn't even have swing states, we would have swing cities.
    No, we would have cities that vote Democratic and rural areas that vote Republican, just like we do now. In the electoral college system, the redness or blueness of most states is basically determined by whether they get more votes in cities or rural areas. Illinois is a blue state because it has Chicago in it. Indiana is a red state because it doesn't have Chicago in it. Ohio is a swing state because the rural Republican areas roughly balance out the urban Democratic areas.

If we abolished the electoral college, Republicans would win by appealing to rural voters nationwide, and Democrats would win by appealing to urban voters nationwide, and both parties would try to peel off as many moderate suburban voters as possible. Right now, Republicans in upstate New York or inland California and Democrats in Austin or St. Louis are completely ignored by presidential campaigns, because their home regions happen to be included in states whose mix of voters is tilted strongly against them, and elections get decided by idiosyncratic local issues in states that happen to have swingable mixes of voters.
    Last edited by antongast; December-18-12 at 01:37 PM.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    No, we would have cities that vote Democratic and rural areas that vote Republican, just like we do now. In the electoral college system, the redness or blueness of most states is basically determined by whether they get more votes in cities or rural areas. Illinois is a blue state because it has Chicago in it. Indiana is a red state because it doesn't have Chicago in it. Ohio is a swing state because the rural Republican areas roughly balance out the urban Democratic areas.

If we abolished the electoral college, Republicans would win by appealing to rural voters nationwide, and Democrats would win by appealing to urban voters nationwide, and both parties would try to peel off as many moderate suburban voters as possible. Right now, Republicans in upstate New York or inland California and Democrats in Austin or St. Louis are completely ignored by presidential campaigns, because their home regions happen to be included in states whose mix of voters is tilted strongly against them, and elections get decided by idiosyncratic local issues in states that happen to have swingable mixes of voters.
    I think you're missing the point of a Presidential election. The President does not represent you, his job is to militarily protect the states and administer the federal government in relation to the states of the union. He answers to the states, not the people. The states answer to their people and act accordingly. You also have a representative voice in Congress. That is not the job of the President.

I think you're missing the point of a Presidential election. The President does not represent you, his job is to militarily protect the states and administer the federal government in relation to the states of the union. He answers to the states, not the people. The states answer to their people and act accordingly. You also have a representative voice in Congress. That is not the job of the President.
    The President does represent you.

Imagine if you had a huge pro-war, barely literate idiot in the White House. He might accidentally go to war with countries such as, let's say, Iraq, and kill 200,000 innocent Iraqi civilians.

Now imagine you have a much less pro-war president that brings troops home, avoids wars, and promotes diplomacy.

A president most certainly represents the people. S\He also appoints judges and justices and has the power to veto leglistation.

JVB Guest

The President does represent you.

Imagine if you had a huge pro-war, barely literate idiot in the White House. He might accidentally go to war with countries such as, let's say, Iraq, and kill 200,000 innocent Iraqi civilians.

Now imagine you have a much less pro-war president that brings troops home, avoids wars, and promotes diplomacy.
    I don't know if that was meant as a comparison between Bush and Obama, but if it was it was highly flawed since they are both clearly pro-war and Obama has even begun to assassinate US citizens without due process using drones [[Al-Awlaki for instance).

But if your point was simply that the election of a President affects us then yes you are correct. But it is not his job to represent us.

A president most certainly represents the people. S\He also appoints judges and justices and has the power to veto leglistation.
    That is not representing the people, it is in fact the exact opposite.

The whole point of a veto is to undo the will of the people since the bills were voted on by our direct representatives in Congress. That is also why the Constitution gives Congress [[ie the People's Representatives) the ability to override his veto.

And that is also why he can appoint judges, but Congress [[The People's actual representatives) has to approve them or they don't get on the bench and they can also impeach them if they see fit.
    Last edited by JVB; December-18-12 at 02:17 PM.

Can someone move this to non-Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Can someone move this to non-Detroit?
    A topic about a measure specifically designed to lessen Detroit's voting power?

We need to remember that this EC works both ways. People were upset and wanted to do away [[Dems mostly) with the EC when Gore lost and he actually won the popular vote so unlike Mitt he actually had a beef. Look the Obama people ran a brilliant campaign. They targeted the swing states down to the county. The Repubs are looking for quick fix solutions so they don't have to address systemic problems within their party and platform.

But if your point was simply that the election of a President affects us then yes you are correct. But it is not his job to represent us.

That is not representing the people, it is in fact the exact opposite.

The whole point of a veto is to undo the will of the people since the bills were voted on by our direct representatives in Congress. That is also why the Constitution gives Congress [[ie the People's Representatives) the ability to override his veto.

And that is also why he can appoint judges, but Congress [[The People's actual representatives) has to approve them or they don't get on the bench and they can also impeach them if they see fit.
    Every one of us who was educated in Michigan was required to take a Civics or Government class in High School.... so why are you preaching to the choir about things we already know?

I agree 100%. If the people are supposed to elect our leaders, they should eliminate this Electoral College garbage.
    Last edited by Papasito; December-19-12 at 01:31 PM.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Every one of us who was educated in Michigan was required to take a Civics or Government class in High School.... so why are you preaching to the choir about things we already know?
    You may be part of the choir, but if you read the thread you'll see not everyone was paying attention in class.

You may be part of the choir, but if you read the thread you'll see not everyone was paying attention in class.
    That's true... but apparently you weren't paying attention to History Class when the Civil War happened.... apparently some states felt that the Constitutional contract was broken then... bu as you may or may not know Secession of states is not really a political possibility in the USA.

And as modern Geography and Political Science classes would tell us... with the influx of democratic leaning southwest, Texas and Floriday, a plurality of people are less and less Republican. And in those red states [[especially not the mountain or upper great plains states)... secession is hardly a topic of conversation. That would leave the bible belt... and if 1/3 of those are African Americans... they trust the Federal Government to protect them much more than the "Starts and Bars" flying over the statehouses to do so.

So besides Hannity, Beck and Limbaugh and their minions... "it ain't gonna happen".... except of course if you get your dose of "truth" from Fox News...

And as far as you hair splitting "the president doesn't represent us" argument... who was it that was there REPRESENTING all of America in Connecticut this week as the nation was mourning the loss of so many innocents... certainly not the people who REPRESENT you... but OUR president....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-19-12 at 05:01 PM.

There are several issues with that approach. Population centers are heavily concentrated in a handful of states, leaving the vast majority of the country underrepresented in a popular vote. That may not seem like a problem to you if you live in one of those population centers, but you would view it differently if you didn't. In order to keep a cohesive federal system, all states need to feel like they have a say in the process or they will have no reason to remain part of that federal system.

I know it's popular on this board to call all conservatives racists, but that's not any more correct than calling all black people criminals, or all liberals homosexual, or any other vast number of stupid generalities I see posted on here and other places.

So a large part of this country is conservative and has different values than those in urban centers, but their beliefs need to be given weight or we could have another Civil War on our hands. I'm not speaking with hyperbole either, I could easily see a number of conservative states presenting quite a problem for the federal government if their populace feels that their states rights are being ignored.

Also remember that this country is not a Democracy - it is a Republic. A Republic means that each state is allowed to control its own laws for the most part, and that the federal government is only permitted to infringe on that in certain cases that violate federal law as called out by the Constitution. The Constitution is a contract between the federal government and the states, and if that contract is broken by either side then the contract is invalid.

Majority rule [[Democracy) can be a dangerous thing. Minorities should understand that better than anyone. There have to be provisions in law that protect minority viewpoints, and the electoral college is the system that was developed to protect states with a minority of the population.

Finally, the President is NOT your representative. Over the years we have begun to treat the office of the president as if he were King and that he represents us, but that's not what the office was meant for. The President is simply the head the Executive branch of Government and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Our actual representatives are in Congress - they are the ones that represent out interests, not the President. That's not his job. His job is to run the administrative business of the country and defend the country, not to represent the people of the country. We already have a branch of government that does that.

Not only is it popular, but its been my experience that its true. EVERY CONSERVATIVE I have known or know does display rascist behavior to some degree. There is a reason why the GOP is so popular with those sorts.

And your comments about abother civil war are just hyperbole. Its only conservatives who piss and moan about leaving the Union when things dont go there way - please please please let them try.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Not only is it popular, but its been my experience that its true. EVERY CONSERVATIVE I have known or know does display rascist behavior to some degree. There is a reason why the GOP is so popular with those sorts.
    I'm not sure where to start with such an idiotic comment. Maybe you should start by researching some notable black conservatives then tell us all how racist they are. Based on your comment, I'll assume you're not bright enough to do the research yourself so here's a few to get you started:
    Politicians

United States judges

Talk show hosts

[[to be cont...)

JVB Guest

Columnists

Athletes and entertainers

Others

As offensive [[and obviously wrong) as it is to call all conservatives racist, I guess its OK for me to now retort by calling all liberals retarded. Well, not all liberals, but any liberals that agree with your offensive statement are obviously retarded.

Once you get done calling all of the notable black conservatives I posted above "Uncle Tom's", head on over to the National Black Republicans site and educate yourself about them. Not all Republicans are conservative of course, but you get the idea. You're an idiot.

I see the Snyder is back on his false neutrality platform again.

The sheeps clothes are off homie. The people of this state already see you for what you are, please stop playing humble nice guy moderate role.

Fucking ..........

JVB - the mere fact that you can essentially list "prominent black republicans" in a short space does more to support the argument than dispel it, especially when you include so many that are based on off-hand comments

So this nonsense is already starting in Virginia.

The remaining votes would go to the candidate winning the most districts NOT the most votes..

Virginia has 11 districts and 13 electoral votes. Under this proposed system Obama, who won 51% percent of Virginias vote in 2012, would recieve only 4 of 13 of it's electoral votes.

How these people aren't scared of damage to life or limb is beyond me.

Similar measures are already being cooked up in Pennsylvania and here in Michigan. And they've got their eyes on Wisconsin.

They need to bring back the guillotine, because this is treasonous.

If this was happening in an African, or Latin American, or a Pacific island nation it would be called out rightly for the evil that it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast