Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Strange Detroit: A short film on Nemo at the "Goat Yard"

A short film on one of Detroit's oddest places. A distant relative of the Dodge family is interviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApKu40WdII

He is a gem...used to videotape the City Clownsil hearings back in the seventies. Used that to educate others on the misbehavior entrenched in that institution.

He told me he was inspired by then State Rep Legel to do so...which was VERY weird, because the day earlier I'd been to Rep Legel's daughter's wedding at Mariner's Church and subsequent bash at the Roostertail. I'm related through my sister's marriage to them...it was such a shock to hear him bring up that name so quickly after we'd met!

Ain't nothin' like the Schoolbus o' Rock...
    Last edited by Gannon; December-17-12 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    He is a gem...used to videotape the City Clownsil hearings back in the seventies. Used that to educate others on the misbehavior entrenched in that institution.

He told me he was inspired by then State Rep Legel to do so...which was VERY weird, because the day earlier I'd been to Rep Legel's daughter's wedding at Mariner's Church and subsequent bash at the Roostertail. I'm related through my sister's marriage to them...it was such a shock to hear him bring up that name so quickly after we'd met!

Ain't nothin' like the Schoolbus o' Rock...
    The Retire Young campaign was pretty funny except that he almost lost his life over it.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The Retire Young campaign was pretty funny except that he almost lost his life over it.
    I've read about that campaign, but can you provide some more details on him almost losing his life over it?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I've read about that campaign, but can you provide some more details on him almost losing his life over it?
    Let's just say CAY was not happy about the publicity and tried to remove the problem.

I'd like to know more about that as well.

Unfortunately, the firebrand Legel is no longer with the living...he got out of politics pretty quickly, too.

There might be a fabulous backstory for the right investigator...

I'd like to know more about that as well.

Unfortunately, the firebrand Legel is no longer with the living...he got out of politics pretty quickly, too.

There might be a fabulous backstory for the right investigator...
    I will tell the story but nobody will believe it. CAY sent hitmen to his Indian Village home to assassinate Stephen. The house has this grand staircase which is open to those going up but gives excellent cover to those on the second floor. So the idiots got caught where they were pinned down by Stephen's 12 Gauge shotgun and had to make a quick retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I will tell the story but nobody will believe it. CAY sent hitmen to his Indian Village home to assassinate Stephen. The house has this grand staircase which is open to those going up but gives excellent cover to those on the second floor. So the idiots got caught where they were pinned down by Stephen's 12 Gauge shotgun and had to make a quick retreat.
    Makes one wonder how many other times he strong-armed someone into going away. He was deeply connected, that CAY was. Some believe he was part of some deep-cover experiment, since he WAS within the Top Secret culture through his days as a Tuskeegee Airman. Pilots need to have clearance, and once in it is tough to get out.

But IF the deep-cover experiment were true, it would explain SO much about how bad it got in the city under him, while so many Federal investigations couldn't gain traction. We all know it isn't because he was clean. He just had some form of teflon against prosecution.

Thanks, I'm going to ask Rep. Legel's widow some direct questions next time we meet...

Makes one wonder how many other times he strong-armed someone into going away. He was deeply connected, that CAY was. Some believe he was part of some deep-cover experiment, since he WAS within the Top Secret culture through his days as a Tuskeegee Airman. Pilots need to have clearance, and once in it is tough to get out.

But IF the deep-cover experiment were true, it would explain SO much about how bad it got in the city under him, while so many Federal investigations couldn't gain traction. We all know it isn't because he was clean. He just had some form of teflon against prosecution.

Thanks, I'm going to ask Rep. Legel's widow some direct questions next time we meet...
    Retired DPD officers tell stories about having enough to put him away for life but their lives would have been put into jeopardy. Lots of shady crap with CAY.

yet another story following on the footsteps of Detroitblog, but i will say this--this guy makes a much better ripoff than Charlie LeDuff

good video

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    yet another story following on the footsteps of Detroitblog, but i will say this--this guy makes a much better ripoff than Charlie LeDuff

good video
    You should head down to the Goat Yard and chat with Stephen since you are a non believer. The Yard is located at the foot St. Jean on the left just before the entrance to the boat ramps.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-18-12 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post

good video
    As if D'blogger John is the only one wandering around town...and everyone reads his stuff...heh...the hubris...

...heck, six and seven years ago a ton of the stuff I put up here for free ended up written about in Model D a few weeks later, and I'm sure their writer got paid for her work! Did I ever mention it to her...or make any deal of it? I didn't then, and only bring it up now in this context as contrast.

That said, I've never heard D'blogJ complain, either...only those in the periphery, it seems.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; December-18-12 at 01:29 PM.

hey dont shoot! i said i liked the video and thought it was well done!....just making the observation that people are seemingly using Dblog's stuff as a roadmap...never said i was a "non-believer"--ive been there before myself, years ago.

Unfortunately Steve Hume passed away yesterday. He is truly what made Detroit unique.

So sad. A group of us went down to they're other marina 3 days ago to help clear some brush along the canal and his wife Sue gave me the lowdown, I just found out he was sick a week ago. It always amused me that they would remember me from the hand full off times we had met over the years. They always put on the best Christmas party on the tug. Thoughts with Sue.

Sorry to hear. Great guy. Would stop by and talk to him,and check out the goat yard

We went together once didnt we pgn? Cant remember why.

Heres part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Zv22EV3pUv0

RIP Stephen! One of my favorite image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The video runs for 30 seconds then cuts off and back to the beginning and starts again.

Part two about Stephen is very good. Peaks my interest.
    Last edited by eno; September-19-13 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    The video runs for 30 seconds then cuts off and back to the beginning and starts again.
    I didnt have that problem, try looking it up on Youtube.