Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Raw Cafe closed?

Noticed that the Raw Cafe on Woodward, next to the Majestic, is gone. Their website is down as well. Anyone know what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
    Noticed that the Raw Cafe on Woodward, next to the Majestic, is gone. Their website is down as well. Anyone know what happened?
    Went out of business, I guess. They had a number of challenges trying to serve a niche food [[at somewhat hefty prices) in a meat-and-potatoes town. I imagine Seva Detroit opening up within a few blocks couldn't have helped.

It's been closed for at least a month.

At least Seva has good-tasting food at semi-reasonable prices that is served in a somewhat timely manner and you can actually grab a beer without being stoned to oblivion for being self-destructive.

Place was weird. Hope we get something good in that spot. Landlord is a real suburban POS though [[Good Papa Joe of the Majestic does NOT own that corner)

Wen there a few times, walked out twice after being seated and waiting more than 20 minutes for someone, in an almost empty restaurant, to take our order. I really liked their burrito though.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    Wen there a few times, walked out twice after being seated and waiting more than 20 minutes for someone, in an almost empty restaurant, to take our order. I really liked their burrito though.
    Yep, wasn't too fond of the service.

I went there one time with a curiosity about raw food and have never ate there since. What I had was very dry. I assume there are better ways to do raw food.

It's not just Raw Cafe. Red Pepper Deli in Northville also closed, and they were doing raw food too.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the people behind Raw Cafe had no previous restaurant experience. That would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Yep, wasn't too fond of the service.
    Tell me about it. You should have seen the looks I got there from ordering a Ham sandwich, bag of Better Mades, and a Pepsi!

They had tasty but overpriced food, and some of the worst service I've ever encountered. I figured they just went under.

Having raw foods served at the new Great Lakes Coffee prolly didn't help, either. [[But I think Chartreuse's food is tastier, anyhow.)

http://www.chartreusedetroit.com/greatlakescoffee.htm

I should also mention I wasted my lunch hour on a Wednesday, checking the website to make sure they were open, going there, and finding a handwritten sign saying "closed on Wednesdays" on the door.

You want to open a restaurant in this town? None of this kiddie pool shit. You need to be ten feet tall and bulletproof. Meanwhile the Majestic next door has been prospering for years, even before "Midtown" became trendy all of a sudden.

Yeah long waits, expensive prices... bye-bye!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post

Yeah if you're 'not' open enough eventually that will become permanent status!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I should also mention I wasted my lunch hour on a Wednesday, checking the website to make sure they were open, going there, and finding a handwritten sign saying "closed on Wednesdays" on the door.

You want to open a restaurant in this town? None of this kiddie pool shit. You need to be ten feet tall and bulletproof. Meanwhile the Majestic next door has been prospering for years, even before "Midtown" became trendy all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitplanner View Post
    tell me about it. You should have seen the looks i got there from ordering a ham sandwich, bag of better mades, and a pepsi!
    lololololololololololololololol
    lolololololololololol
    olololololololol