Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The biggest ship on the planet just moored in Rotterdam.

CMA CGM Marco Polo. Biggest mofo ship on the planet!

Dimensions:

Type: Container ship
    Tonnage: 175,343 GT
    85,361 NT
    187,625 DWT
    Length: 396.0 m [[1,299 ft 3 in)
    Beam: 53.6 m [[175 ft 10 in)
    Draught: 16.0 m [[52 ft 6 in)
    Depth: 29.9 m [[98 ft 1 in) [[deck edge to keel)
    Installed power: Wärtsilä 14RT-flex96C [[80,080 kW)
    Propulsion: Single shaft, fixed-pitch propeller
    Speed: 25.1 knots [[46.5 km/h; 28.9 mph)[2]
    Capacity: 16,020 TEU[5]
    1,100 TEU [[reefers)[6]
    Crew: 27[7]

CMA CGM Marco Polo.

If you lay all those container end to end you'll end up with 98 kilometers of container! This is the first of three of these ships. But they will hold the record as biggest ship not for long. Maersk line is already building an even bigger type of ship which can carry 18.000 TEU containers which end to end makes a line of 120 kilometers of containers!! And Maersk has ordered no less then 20 of these monsters!!

Maersk Triple-E class ship. first one under construction.

1/4 miles long and 3.3/100 of a mile wide. 229,997 sq. feet or a bit more than 4 football fields[[basically just shy of 4 football fields long and 1 1/4 wide. crap

They are really just barges with a gland problem

A. P. Møller - Maersk is the largest shipping company in the world. This vast Danish company was founded in 1904. The founding family is today one of 2 Danish billionaire families... the other being the Kristiansen family of LEGO fame... in fact these 2 families have been friends for 1/2 century... as can be seen by their 40 year collaboration...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?O=10155-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    A. P. Møller - Maersk is the largest shipping company in the world. This vast Danish company was founded in 1904. The founding family is today one of 2 Danish billionaire families... the other being the Kristiansen family of LEGO fame... in fact these 2 families have been friends for 1/2 century... as can be seen by their 40 year collaboration...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?O=10155-1
    And then the Hansen family is also doing quite well. Known for this:

And also in Lego.

I keep waiting for Lego to make actual house kits

Its amazing that a crew of only 27 operate this ship. That is an average of only six per eight hour shift assuming three crew members make up the stewards department.

Also, imaging how much labor is displaced in the country accepting 18,000 containers of manufactured and other goods. Tonight, I was in a grocery store purchasing some canned fruit. I was surprised to see "Made in China" on cans of pineapples, pears and mandarin oranges. I suppose they came in cargo containers too.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Its amazing that a crew of only 27 operate this ship. That is an average of only six per eight hour shift assuming three crew members make up the stewards department.

Also, imaging how much labor is displaced in the country accepting 18,000 containers of manufactured and other goods. Tonight, I was in a grocery store purchasing some canned fruit. I was surprised to see "Made in China" on cans of pineapples, pears and mandarin oranges. I suppose they came in cargo containers too.
    yeah, and check carefully when you buy frozen fish, crab legs, lobster tails