Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Can they be trusted with our water?

I have a better question regarding the MonCon affair after reading this article:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/WILSO...cIFi3vPAg.cspx

""Synagro: the Romulus location where millions have been invested in the controversial plan to inject liquid toxic waste deep into the earth. Inside two little shacks are the well heads, inside the big building near the airport the waste is stored in large tanks.""

Why are the State and local officials even contemplating, as crooked as all the Synagro folks are turning out to be, allowing these crooks' plan to inject hazardous waste into the earth and potentially near our water table? They have already shown their colors, bribe lie whatever it takes, we are now going to trust them to deposit hazardous waste "properly", within proximity of our water supply? That could wind up in our water treatment plants and river. This is irresponsible X 10. Detroiters and southeastern Michigan should be outraged.

MIRepublic Guest

I'm surprised that you quoted the line, but left the most important part off:

This is the battleground of the long-fought war that has nothing to do with Synagro: the Romulus location where millions have been invested in the controversial plan to inject liquid toxic waste deep into the earth.
    Were you simply reading this too quickly?

You're outraged now? This plan has been around for at least 10 years and the communities have been battling to keep those operations out for at least as long. Where have you been?

Probably, and I don't know a lot about this situation. I'm just wondering how a facility like that has gotten as far as it has, as close to a major metropolitan area as it is. I hope Basham and others are successful in keeping it shut down and removed. Any politician that would advocate this, warrants investigation.

A facility like this is impossible to control. How would it be monitored? Heavy metals etc start showing up in drinking water, how could they even check to see if the procedure was being carried out to plan? I can just see people cutting corners and Friday/Monday thinking playing a part and a bunch of people of dying years from now. Like when they built homes atop toxic dumps, it took years to see the effects.

We already have Firmy to worry about, that's too much.

Quote: "Where have you been? "
    I don't keep up closely with a lot that goes on around here. I've always understood Synagro to simply be a "toxic waste treatment facility". I had no idea about this hair-brained plan.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; June-30-09 at 12:02 AM.

You are worried about bribery of DEQ and EPA based on what history? Has Synagro ever been charged or suspected in any other bribery scandals? The Feds did have wire taps on these guys. Do you know that Synagro approach Monica for a bribe and it didn't happen the other way around pushing a limited numbers of Synagro employees into its first bribery?

The EPA and DEQ will monitor them the same way they monitor everyone else. The nuclear power plant, Fermi, is also regulated. Its named after Nobel Prize winning physicist Enrico Fermi who helped develop the first nuclear power plant. Very smart and interesting man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi
    Last edited by mjs; June-30-09 at 12:13 AM.

MIRepublic Guest

Did I miss something? The article clearly says this particular issue hasn't anything to do with Synagro.

Quote: "You are worried about bribery of DEQ and EPA based on what history?"

No, I was expressing concerns about a moronic plan to pump toxic waste into the earth and possibly our water table.

I know who Fermi is, I forgot how to spell his name. Like it fucking matters.

DEQ and EPA approved it so they must feel its safe. They do have people much better trained and experienced in this than you or I. They take their responsibility to protect the people and environment very seriously. I've worked for people that say they take it too seriously, but if they stop people from poisoning others or destroying property, I can live with the extra work and costs of a little extremism and paranoia.

MIRepublic, I acknowledge you are right. I'm scratching my head on the basis of the rest of the argument.

Sheesh..LOL

Something is already in mjs's water.

I get the same high quality pure EPA/DEQ protected water everyone else in the Metro region gets. Somebody must know what they're doing.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009072...-lose-license-

Nearly three years after shutting them down for violations, Michigan environmental regulators said Monday they will revoke the existing license for hazardous deep-injection wells in Romulus.

A firm owned by Detroit businessman Jim Papas now must seek a new state license to operate the wells. And that process, including public hearings, could take years, said Bob McCann, spokesman for the state's Department of Environmental Quality. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency already terminated its permits for the wells, requiring Papas to apply for a new permit. His application has been pending since December 2007.
    The state license covers the operations above ground, while a federal license controls the operation below ground. The wells must have both state and federal licenses to operate.
    Calls to attorneys for Papas were not returned.
    Detroit's police and fire pension fund has invested more than $40 million in the project. The fund wanted regulators to transfer the license to Papas' firm, Environmental Geo-Technologies LLC, so it could restart the wells and allow the fund to recoup at least $10 million of its investment. Calls to the pension board also were not returned.
    want to think this is the end, but I have no idea," said Romulus Mayor Alan Lambert. His city and others have fought the wells for nearly two decades. The wells were shuttered in late 2006. [7/21/09]