Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Businessman proposes Detroit's first commercial farm

http://www.freep.com/article/2009040...rming+hot+spot

John Hantz, a Southfield businessman and Indian Village resident, wants to convert dozens of parcels near Eastern Market into Detroit's first commercial farm.

I'll wait to make a decision on whether this is good, but it is certainly an idea. Detroit needs those, so I'll take it.

I'm surprised by Rebecca Witt's response to Hantz's proposal. Of what is she afraid?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine Laird View Post
    I'm surprised by Rebecca Witt's response to Hantz's proposal. Of what is she afraid?
    I can't speak for her, but one of the benefits of small community gardens is that they fit into the fabric of the neighborhood, such as it is, and don't displace anyone. I have never understood why, in a city so crippled by population loss, we are so quick to go around forcing out the few people who haven't left yet in hopes that all we need is one more half-baked, harebrained Big Idea to swoop in and save us.

I'm not saying my mind is necessarily made up about this guy and his proposal, but that's one reason why someone might be legitimately concerned.

What a fantastic plan. Hopefully things actually come through with it.

John needs to go check out Georgia Street Community Garden. It's right down Gratiot to Georgia street. Not far away from the eastern market

I say that anything that gets this land back on the tax rolls is a good thing. Fields of corn are MUCH better then busted and burned out houses. Pretty soon the whole cycle will repeat. You will people complaining when the farm gets turned into a development like in the exurbs.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2009,+08:48+AM

Heading up Hantz Farms LLC, will be Matt Allen, a Detroit resident and
    advocate for Hantz's vision.
    Matt Allen is the Senior Vice President of Hantz
    Farms, LLC and recently joined the Hantz Group after concluding a
    governmental appointment as Press Secretary for the City of Detroit. A
    former broadcast journalist, Allen also has experience in the mortgage
    industry as a loan consultant and has 7 years of retail management
    experience with Dayton Hudson, Target and TJX.

A Detroit resident, Allen also served honorably for more than 13 years
    in the United States Army and Army Reserve as part of the Military Police
    Corps.

Hmm, Matt Allen, The Felon's buttboy, wife-beater and alcholic. Sounds like the perfect guy to run a farm.

This proposal seems a little bit strange to me. He wants free land to develop industrial farming in the city, right? First of all I would make sure there is an iron clad agreement so that this isn't just a land grab. Land should revert back to the city if any development is occurs or is proposed. I would also get a commitment for 100% organic. And, having Matt Allen involved just seems like a back door way to get approvals through the city. There are probably 1,000 more qualified people in the city to manage and run a farming operation, I would choose or insist on one of them before moving forward.

the city should just sign a $1/year lease instead of just handing over the land.

There's also the issue of a lot of these vacant plots were the site of factories, and the soils are absolutely contaminated. I'm not so sure I'd want to eat produce grown in a borderline brownfield site.

A very cool idea. I would love having a place that looks over fields of corn to the Detroit skyline beyond. Imagine buying veggies at Eastern Market that were grown right in your own city. Windmills are another great idea. I am glad someone is willing to make the investment.

There is that small abandoned market at the Chene & Ferry area. Does anyone know what it's called or what its plans are, if any? I think this place could reopen and work in conjunction with the farm.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    A very cool idea. I would love having a place that looks over fields of corn to the Detroit skyline beyond. Imagine buying veggies at Eastern Market that were grown right in your own city. Windmills are another great idea. I am glad someone is willing to make the investment.

There is that small abandoned market at the Chene & Ferry area. Does anyone know what it's called or what its plans are, if any? I think this place could reopen and work in conjunction with the farm.
    Chene-Ferry Market.

Urban farming, the gimmick that will not die.